uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 12 - vs. Indiana

uneblinstu

First Half:

• The Derrick Walker era is here!
  • I thought he actually looked pretty good. And the action was fast and furious, lol. 
  • NU pretty sloppy with the ball early.
  • McGowens tried to literally take on the IU whole team on the break. It predictably didn't end well. 
  • Later he got past the whole defense, and on my tv at least, appeared to have a pretty clear layup, but passed it out. 
  • Lat looking more comfortable the past couple games.
  • Still not sold on Banton being a great point guard...he might be NU's best option, though, IDK...
  • Hoosiers were last in the Big Ten in 3 point makes per game, so natually they took and made a lot vs. NU...
  • Has Stevenson finished anything at the rim this year? Seems like a lot of them are out of control, too.
  • Next time down the floor he finishes under complete control...lol It was pretty, too. Would love to see more of that!
  • Teddy seems to have found his rhythm from the free throw stripe.
  • Walker is already the best post finisher on the team.
  • Yvan will be a nice compliment to Walker when he gets back.
  • Lazy rebounding down the stretch of the first half was killer.

Halftime:

Ole-Miss.gif

Second Half:

• I like a lot of how they came out of the break. 
  • But that whole shot clock deal was peak #Nebrasketball.
  • Teddy doesn't seem to have the magic he had vs. MSU.
  • Indiana stopped making shots, NU's rebounding better and is able to get out and run. Making some shots, too. This is what I think the blueprint is. This is what it's supposed to look like, just haven't been able to sustain it for long stretches.
  • And the climbed all the way back!
  • Stevenson had a terrific defensive rotation that disrupted Indiana's possession after NU went up 65-64. Maybe he's shaking off the rust, too.
  • Giving offensive rebounds has been a bit of an issue for NU, especially at key moments, that said, it's also somewhat of an issue that they haven't really gotten any of their own, either. IU has 11 to NU's 3. (As of the U4 TO)
  • Offensive rebounds and missed free throws down the stretch and at big moments continue to derail this team.

Turning point in the game was Banton driving to the rim on two straight possessions- getting fouled and only converting 1 of 4. On the other end, Indians scores 5 and we were already down by 2, so the lead grows to 6 and it’s just too much. Mayen can be an elite three point shooter but he is extremely limited in every other part of the game. 
Shamiel gave us positive minutes

Thor looked rusty, or off somehow...

Walker brings so much defensively that we didn’t have until now this season. 

It’s disappointing that we’re at a point where an 8 point loss that we were way down and clawed our way back into it leaves us feeling kind of good.  There aren’t a lot of winnable games out there for us, but we finally got a team and 2nd half lead that we should have been able to hold.

- That's a mediocre Indiana team. They have one of the worst offenses in the conference, didn't really shoot the lights out tonight, but still scored 84 points. Our defense has been very poor the last few games. Lat, Teddy and Dalano can't stay in front of people. That's an issue to have them all on the court together. Even Trey didn't have a very good defensive game today. 

- 16 assists for us. Trey and Dalano did a good job of creating for teammates - 13 assists combined for them. Derrick alone will make other players' numbers look better. 

- Shon Morris can't stand Teddy Allen. Shon's an old school basketball guy. My high school coach would have no patience with Teddy either. 

- Derrick reminds me of a Doc Sadler player. Thinking of guys like Brandon Ubel, Brandon Richardson, Charles Richardson. Undersized, not super athletic, not great shooters. But you never have to worry about their discipline, effort or defense and they play smart. Derrick's patience, control and selflessness are much needed on this team. We need more guys like this. 

- Missed blockouts continue to kill our chances to win games. 

Edited by millerhusker

Not a great defensive game.  I think the scheme was good, Indiana hit shots in the 1st half because we were late getting out on shooters.  Need to do a better job of that if we double team the post.

For as poor as we played on defense, we played better on offense as we have all year, IMO.  Indiana is a very good defensive team.  We scored the 2nd most points against them in regulation this season.  Penn State scored 80 in regulation.

If we play like the 1st half, we are going to finish 0 - 20.

If we play like the 2nd half, we have plenty of winnable games.  Purdue x 2, Maryland x 2, Minnesota x 2, Penn State x 2, and Northwestern.  Need a game to go our way and learn how to win.  Much like the football team.

1.  Walker might be our smartest player.  He’s a basketball player on both ends—strong and athletic to boot.  

2.  I said I’d wait until tonight to judge the team’s potential this year, but now Yvan is out.  

3.  Teddy’s defense—effort and execution—is absolute trash.  

4.  Trey needs to switch permanently to PG all game.  We can always run the half court through Dalano but Trey is as good in transition as any guard in the conference.  

5.  I love the 6’9” - 6’9” PnR.  It’s deadly and helps our offense so much with Walker diving to the hoop.  

6.  Nice game from Shamiel.  Looked like his best game as a Husker to me.  

I think we’re about as good as Indiana talent wise.  That’s a big improvement from last season (despite beating them).  They couldn’t miss in the first half.  That was the difference.  

Gotta start getting Trey going in transition early if we want to beat anyone.  I almost wonder if the game plan is to have him go nuts in the second half.  It’s a brutal pace. 

5 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I think we’re about as good as Indiana talent wise.  That’s a big improvement from last season (despite beating them).  They couldn’t miss in the first half.  That was the difference.  

I do agree that we are just as good as Indiana.  However, we did not beat them last year.  We lost in OT @ Indiana, and lost at home by 8, and by 25 in the Big 10 tournament.  We beat Purdue and Iowa in conference.

Delano and Trey make a good combo PG set.  Delano 10 points, 6 rebounds, 7 assists.  Trey 10 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists.  Combined 20 points, 12 rebounds, 13 assists.

Shon Morris praised Fred for taking Teddy out after his frustration foul.  I don't know if Fred had any other choice because that was Teddy's 5th foul.   

31 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I think I’ve seen enough of the Teddy Buckets era to see this isn’t how winning, team basketball operates. 

I’ve never seen a player that is more dynamically bad on defense and good on offense.  We need his scoring, and he’s actually pretty proficient when he doesn’t turn it over.  

This is the first night where his defense went from bad to a serious liability.  

Just now, LK1 said:

I’ve never seen a player that is more dynamically bad on defense and good on offense.  We need his scoring, and he’s actually pretty proficient when he doesn’t turn it over.  

This is the first night where his defense went from bad to a serious liability.  

I wouldn’t say he’s good on offense. I’d say He’s good at scoring, in a vacuum. But the cumulative effect of how and when he gets his shots hurts us more than it helps us.

3 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I wouldn’t say he’s good on offense. I’d say He’s good at scoring, in a vacuum. But the cumulative effect of how and when he gets his shots hurts us more than it helps us.

I disagree that it hurts more than it helps offensively.  He’s kept us in games single handedly on that end this year.  

That said, with Walker, this offense moves like it should, which means less iso ball and more wide open Lat threes.  We aren’t going to need any heat check threes from Teddy anymore because the offense works now, but I think he fits the offense really well and made some great plays gong to the rim tonight.  

Edited by LK1

They gave a pretty good effort, but still too many chinks in the armor. 

Also, as pointed out, not an especially good Hoosier team, so there's only so much room to swing pom poms around. 

Guessing a couple more roster changes--even at the top (seeing why Huggie and Allen divorced)--from putting the team on the court most of us actually want to see. 

IU's going to finish near the bottom of the league this year, so finding out who we *can* best is going to be a challenge. But you have to love this conference. It's an absolute bloodbath between a lot of good teams. And how happy do Michigan's fans have to be right now? Ol' Juwan Howard's got it going on. 

42 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

With Walker now in the mix, I think we’ll settle into a more consistent rotation & the Wins WILL come...

His ability exceeded my expectations and that makes me more optimistic for the future. We could potentially have him for two more years (this year doesn’t count for eligibility right?). A solid post player like him with the McGowens brothers, Dalano and more shooters and we’ll be on the right track.