Teddy

BannedAccount

Just wondering what liability Teddy is right now.  He just doesnt seem like a fit in this system and seems to stall out what this system should be.  He was chucking deep 3's early in shot clock in 1st half, offensive fouls and to's, the team seems to just stand around when he gets the ball.  He seemed to make unsmart plays early in the shot clock when NE gets momentum without passing.  I dont know, just frustration maybe and you get the good with the bad and have to live with it.  I dont think its just this game, its been most games.  I know others havent hit shots but I feel maybe the relying on him has held others back.  

Edited by coughunter

Think how much better this offense would be if it was ran through Kevin Cross. 

Edit: In all seriousness, Teddy needs to buy into the system and run what is asked of him. He might not be the leading scorer at the end of the day (or he even might), but we will all have way more success. Teddy needs to let the game come to him and then make tough shots late when we need him. 

Edited by basketballjones

1 hour ago, colhusker said:

Offense needs to run through McGowens, it was working well when that was happening.

Priority #1 should be keeping Trey happy. I doubt this is what he envisioned when signing at Nebraska. We will likely be looking at 30+ straight conference losing streak. Amazing we got a 5 star to sign up for that. And, it will be open season again for those that want to transfer. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Think how much better this offense would be if it was ran through Kevin Cross. 

Edit: In all seriousness, Teddy needs to buy into the system and run what is asked of him. He might not be the leading scorer at the end of the day (or he even might), but we will all have way more success. Teddy needs to let the game come to him and then make tough shots late when we need him. 

Agreed, he seems like a better fit for Miles system.  His dirty plays are getting kind of tired to.  Im at the point where everytime he gets a foul Im expecting the worse.  The punching yesterday was a bit stupid.

It's somewhat paradoxical that Teddy is leading the team in eFG% and TS% while also dominating on usage.  (not counting the Doane game nor Walker's 5-7 on the year)

Typically you'll see guys that aren't shooting nearly enough who hit them at a high percentage and it's not the case with us. It's almost counterintuitive to surmise that giving guys who are shooting poorly more shot attempts will make our offense better. 

I don't exactly know if it's more about the team embracing that Teddy is going to shoot a ton and that leads to open shots or if it's Teddy embracing passing the ball more and that leads to open shots. 

44 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Teddy shouldn't be the focus on "what's wrong with this team?" Bart Torvik rates him our most effective player, by a decent margin over Delano and a large margin over Trey. Yeah, his behavior is troubling, but a year ago everyone was convinced that FH would handle him. So he's exactly what we thought we were getting, except now the team is crap and some people are looking to point fingers. We signed up fo: a high-volume, high-scoring player with some baggage. We have one.

Agreed.  I was saying this in the Teddy recruiting thread when everyone was so heated to get him in a Husker uniform.  "Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it".

He's no doubt a special talent, but I remain unconvinced that this team is going to go anywhere with him on it.  That's not to say that they can't have success, just that I'm not going to hold my breath.  He seems like such an odd fit in Hoiberg's system.

3 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Teddy shouldn't be the focus on "what's wrong with this team?" Bart Torvik rates him our most effective player, by a decent margin over Delano and a large margin over Trey. Yeah, his behavior is troubling, but a year ago everyone was convinced that FH would handle him. So he's exactly what we thought we were getting, except now the team is crap and some people are looking to point fingers. We signed up fo: a high-volume, high-scoring player with some baggage. We have one.

Similar to Cam Mack.   Sure wish the baggage hadn't won, because he was fun to watch.  But we did get what we signed up for.  

7 hours ago, HB said:

Similar to Cam Mack.   Sure wish the baggage hadn't won, because he was fun to watch.  But we did get what we signed up for.  

Maybe its from the juco level of being the "man" or him having something to prove now,but his style and Freds style dont seem to mesh at this point.

On 1/11/2021 at 9:56 AM, colhusker said:

Offense needs to run through McGowens, it was working well when that was happening.

He was the catalyst in our second half run against Indiana. For about 12-15 minutes in the second half, I felt like we saw what Fred's offense was supposed to look like, and Trey was fantastic during that span. The spacing seemed to be way better, we attacked the rim, and got some really good looks. While Banton's FT misses killed us, I thought one of the biggest failures in the final 3-4 minutes was that McGowens didn't touch the ball near enough. That failure, along with the missed FT's and Teddy deciding to play hero ball, did us in.   

Edited by Coaches kid
typo

I don't think it's fair to make Teddy the scapegoat for our troubles. There is plenty of blame to go around. What stood out to me during our run against Indiana was we seemed to be more fluid, have better spacing, and collectively, seemed to be in attack mode more effectively when the ball was primarily in Trey's hands. And I think it benefitted everyone, including Teddy, when that was happening. My question is whether there is a way that Teddy can modify what he does to play within that scheme. Perhaps it comes down to him developing a broader understanding of what he can accomplish, for him AND his teammates, by doing so. On the other end of the court, Teddy has a lot of work to do, but to be fair, he is not the only person making mistakes on the defensive end. 

FWIW vs top 100 opponents - stats with and without Teddy on the court.

This seems to state that we're pretty bad on defense regardless whether Teddy is on the court.

Without him offensively we're lost.

To me this makes sense when you try to answer the question of 'who do you bring in for Teddy?' because the answer, assuming McGowens and Banton are on the court, isn't anyone who has been scoring against good teams.

image.png

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

FWIW vs top 100 opponents - stats with and without Teddy on the court.

This seems to state that we're pretty bad on defense regardless whether Teddy is on the court.

Without him offensively we're lost.

To me this makes sense when you try to answer the question of 'who do you bring in for Teddy?' because the answer, assuming McGowens and Banton are on the court, isn't anyone who has been scoring against good teams.

image.png

Thats to be seen I guess.  I felt the overall offense was much better at times when Teddy isnt being Teddy last game.  When this teal shares the ball and attacks the rim they seem to be more ecfective.  I think you need Teddy cause of what he can be, but when its running down the court when you have momentum going and chuck up a deep 3 with not one pass is the issue.  If he can play more within the offense and not take shots that you can get anytimen he will be more effective

Teams aren't going to be able to double Teddy next year.  He's going to score a ton in isolation as the #2 or #3 option.  He'll also play more in the offense with Walker this season.  I'm very optimistic about him so far offensively, but defensively he's really hurting us and needs to step up his effort.  

3 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Teams aren't going to be able to double Teddy next year.  He's going to score a ton in isolation as the #2 or #3 option.  He'll also play more in the offense with Walker this season.  I'm very optimistic about him so far offensively, but defensively he's really hurting us and needs to step up his effort.  

Having went to a Juco myself, radio broadcasted for the bball team, and did some athletic training for the college... I know how much of a focus (not much) is placed on defense for a lot of teams.  So, it could be a product of adjusting to a different level where defense isn’t optional too.

13 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Having went to a Juco myself, radio broadcasted for the bball team, and did some athletic training for the college... I know how much of a focus (not much) is placed on defense for a lot of teams.  So, it could be a product of adjusting to a different level where defense isn’t optional too.

I just wanna see the kid yanked from the game if he blows an assignment or doesn't box out again.  Tell him what he did and then send him back in after he thinks about it for a minute.  He does some good things on D, too, but you are entirely correct that he has a lot of terrible JUCO habits in his game that need to die off.  

Teddy played for Bob Huggins for a year, was coached by Greg Marshall for a year while he redshirted and is now being coached by Doc Sadler. We’re talking three of the better defensive minded coaches in the game. Doc had several juco players who were great defenders at this level. I’m not giving Teddy the juco bad habits excuse. He’s aware of how to play solid defense. 

22 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I just wanna see the kid yanked from the game if he blows an assignment or doesn't box out again.  Tell him what he did and then send him back in after he thinks about it for a minute.  He does some good things on D, too, but you are entirely correct that he has a lot of terrible JUCO habits in his game that need to die off.  

I believe it was coach Mo who used to say “you are what you sub for.”

• 4 weeks later...