No Game Tomorrow

hskr4life

17 minutes ago, 49r said:

According to the Purdue Rivals guy, the concern lies on our end:

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/what-it-means-purdue-nebraska-postponement

With that in mind, what do you suppose the odds are that we'll be playing the Indiana game this weekend...or any game for the forseeable future for that matter?

If it is on our end... it will be WHO has it, how many have it, contact tracing, and positive/negative tests going forward.  It will probably also mean no practice for the next few days at least.

35 minutes ago, 49r said:

According to the Purdue Rivals guy, the concern lies on our end:

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/what-it-means-purdue-nebraska-postponement

With that in mind, what do you suppose the odds are that we'll be playing the Indiana game this weekend...or any game for the forseeable future for that matter?

According to a story in the paper it was implied that it is on the PU side.  

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

eWhy the secrecy about about the cause of the postponement? I see no rational reason to not fully explain it to the public. Why drape the situation under the shroud of silence which the league seems to demand?   

It's gotta be due to HIPAA (corrected...thanks 49er)  laws.  They can't publicly disclose who has what.  I suppose they could make comments and observations that would lead you to determine who is ill...but I think that's the most they could get away with. 

Edited by Nighthawk

28 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Why the secrecy about about the cause of the postponement? I see no rational reason to not fully explain it to the public. Why drape the situation under the shroud of silence which the league seems to demand?   

Probably a mandate from the conference because of HIPPA and potentially to minimize the blame game. The Wisconsin-Penn St postponement used the exact same messaging.

Schedule-wise it would make sense if possible to play the game vs Purdue on Sunday and then move the Indiana-Nebraska game to January 27th, an open week for both teams. This obviously won't work if either Nebraska or Purdue are out for an extended period of time.

2 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I don't buy the HIPPA thing when the sports pages are filled with names of players who have tested positive or been exposed to others who have COVID almost every day. But then, I am not a lawyer and am not riddled with paranoia.  

Those are professional sport players, right?  I don't think DONU ever officially said that Eduardo Andre had Covid

8 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Those are professional sport players, right?  I don't think DONU ever officially said that Eduardo Andre had Covid

Many of them are, yes.  But there's a certain quarterback in Clemson who had things publicized (though he may have done that himself).

9 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I don't buy the HIPPA thing when the sports pages are filled with names of players who have tested positive or been exposed to others who have COVID almost every day. But then, I am not a lawyer and am not riddled with paranoia.  

My understanding is that HIPPA is only a law to protect information between a doctor/hospital and the person (or other doctor/hospital). Any disclosure of health information after that isn't protected by HIPPA. If you choose to share any information voluntarily, you can.*

* I'm no HIPPA lawyer

I thought Purdue quickly pointed the finger by promptly mentioning that they were going ahead with their next scheduled game, which was I think Saturday. And we haven't said anything about our next game yet. 

That's probably as close to actual finger pointing as you're gonna get without the offending entity making it public on their own. 

FWIW, the law you all are referring to is HIPAA (one P, two A's) or "Health Information Portability and Accountability Act of 1996".

- signed, someone who has previously worked in the HIT software field

It's an insanely complex law designed protect individual rights and privacy, but mostly it's a tool used by public institutions to excuse themselves from divulging information or granting access to the general public about all sorts of stuff mostly, but not necessarily entirely healthcare related.

-signed, someone who currently works at a public university

9 minutes ago, 49r said:

FWIW, the law you all are referring to is HIPAA (one P, two A's) or "Health Information Portability and Accountability Act of 1996".

- signed, someone who has previously worked in the HIT software field

It's an insanely complex law designed protect individual rights and privacy, but mostly it's a tool used by public institutions to excuse themselves from divulging information or granting access to the general public about all sorts of stuff mostly, but not necessarily entirely healthcare related.

-signed, someone who currently works at a public university

Thanks for the info...and for the spelling correction.