Rutgers game thread 1-3-21

redsteve

Well, There is This!   :nod:

https://huskers.com/news/2021/1/4/haiby-named-madness-b1g-player-of-the-week.aspx

Nebraska's Sam Haiby was the named the College Sports Madness Big Ten Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Week after leading the Huskers to a pair of upset wins over No. 15 Northwestern and Rutgers last week.

Nebraska trailed 44-43 midway through the fourth quarter before Haiby scored six straight points to cap a 9-0 Big Red run that fueled the victory in a defensive slugfest.

Haiby was also instrumental in holding a Rutgers offense that entered the game averaging nearly 86 points per contest to just 50 points on the afternoon.

image.png

Edited by Red Don

Issie's defense is gonna shut-down Brown.  Issie is turning into a heck of a defense player.  Issie also gave kudos to Kate for blocking off the backside, allowing her and Bella to snag rebounds. The backside is where offense rebounds come from.  And with Sam's rebounding, we are turning into a very good rebounding team. Also we shall see if Leigha Brown still plays matador defense and rebounds when convenient.  

Edited by Fastbreaker

45 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

Issie's defense is gonna shut-down Brown.  Issie is turning into a heck of a defense player.  Issie also gave kudos to Kate for blocking off the backside, allowing her and Bella to snag rebounds. The backside is where offense rebounds come from.  And with Sam's rebounding, we are turning into a very good rebounding team. Also we shall see if Leigha Brown still plays matador defense and rebounds when convenient.  

I agree that Bourne can guard Leah Brown but what about Hillmon?  Kate is no match for her.  Bourne played her best game last year against Hillmon.  Michigan has plenty of threats. 

The Big Ten is not thorough at divvying out awards for player of the week...well, really in any sport, but especially not WBB. They tend to get stuck on stats and certain players/teams. Caitlin Clark has been player of the week three times. The player and freshman awards have been rotated - since the beginning of the season - between Iowa, Michigan and Rutgers. That's it. 

13 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

In volleyball they seem to get stuck on WI quite a bit.

Foecke won it 5 times. That's pretty good. 

Caitlin Clark's all that and a bag of chips as a scorer. I just get a chuckle out of how Maryland's excellence works against it for that award. 

It is possible Issie may guard Brown some. Michigan presents matchup problems for us. Kate does not always do well with a quick center and Naz has a lot of tools in her belt. May actually see Cravens on her. Brown, Brown, and Johnson all can hit the three. Dilk does a pretty good job of running their offense. We will be tested and it is on the road so...

Win or lose all I know is we are playing better with more chemistry then last year and people understanding their roles more.  Young team with 5 of the eight players new this year.  A week or so ago wasn't there complaining with predictions that even another win may be hard to come by.

Whitney Brown continues to be my favorite player.  Plays to her strengths and avoids her weaknesses.  Pretty good for a freshmen walk on.  Players like her do a lot of things for the team in limited minutes.

I would say it is both the players and coaches who may have turned a corner. Leadership does not only come from just seniors. Issie and Sam are captains along with Kate. Plus it takes time to change a culture and Amy had talked a little of that. That can be players and coaches as well. I admit I did not see two wins this past week. It is a start in the right direction lets see if they can keep it up at home and start to make a change on the road. 

I dont think anyone is taking anything away from Brown. I havent seen that any way in my perspective. I see everyone jealous of Michigan right now. Everyone is just playing when they say we hope she doesnt get on the bus or doesnt show up when we play them because we all know she is a hell of a player.

I personally loved watching her at Nebraska and was sad to see her go but its part of the game these days. I wouldnt say anyone is cutting her down.

But with what your saying above about the coach using her in the correct ways is what some people are saying the team is playing together as a team better because everyone is ok with the way the coach is using them and as you are saying last year there was problems on the team because people werent getting used the way they want to.

But all in all I am happy for Brown. She is fun to watch any where. 

4 hours ago, Huskermom said:

I have never been one to get much into replying on this. I just get on to do what a normal person does and look at the positives coming out of the season but when I see someone taking away the success of a very good player it bothers me. Brown did nothing but take our program in the right direction, it just wasn’t the right fit her. We do not know everything that went into her decision. But you all assume and then say nothing but foul things towards her. She was nothing but successful at Nebraska and she could’ve been a lot more successful if coach would have used her in the correct ways. Now she’s nothing but successful at Michigan and guys are taking that away from her. You guys are just upset that we do not have her on our team anymore and I am too. But I never once have thought about taking success away from someone behind a phone screen, and neither should you guys. 

I gave you a "like" because I too dislike when foul things are directed towards players. Can't say I agree with much more you say, other than "we do not know everything that went into her decision".  I wish her well, except when playing our Huskers.

I have been following Brown/Michigan this year. While I wish she was still a Husker sometimes players need to move on. Best for them and best for the program they just left. She has improved from last year. She has picked up her defense from a year ago. Scoring more because she is taking better shots than she did a year ago. Still too many turnovers but her passing has improved as well. Michigan really is Naz as a first option and then Leigha. She is the B1G player of the week. While Sam is deserving for her end game heroics, Brown scored 26, and 22 points and hit at 70% from the field her last two games. Considering she is playing mostly as a two that is quite impressive. It will be a tall order for NE on Thursday. I certainly hope NE pulls off the upset but also hope Brown has a good showing. 

A very strange post by HuskerMom, on several levels.  A person who apparently signed-up solely to make this post (now apparently deleted); And on the eve of the Michigan WBB game. 

No one is denigrating Leigha Brown; she is a skilled player and many would still like to see her wearing Husker Red!  -- Yet it is the Husker coaches and fans who have been 'holding her down' and responsible for her 'moving-on'  :Confused:  -- Yet, Michigan, who never offered her out of HS, now sees her true value and is allowing her to attain her full potential :Confused:  

If only we had recognized her 'greatness' (and listened to her 'followers' all along) she still might be a Husker.

Leigha Brown is a quality player, but I don't think I can say the same about her followers.  HuskerMom is hardly 'disinterested;'  There is something her post is lacking  at the end:  (:Stickouttongue:). 

I am tired of all the Drama.  We are being played for Chumps!  It's time to 'move-on' from Leigha Brown's 'disinterested' followers.

Edited by Red Don

I haven't said much on this topic but just want to state that I think even though there may have been many smaller reasons she left the big one was that we did not look to be a very good team this year.  Michigan has been on the upswing and even though they initially passed on her in recruiting they made sure that they wouldn't pass on her again.  Kudo's to our coaching staff for finding her in the weeds and helping her development for 2 years.