Rutgers game thread 1-3-21

redsteve

It disgusts me that officials continue to let teams like Rutgers play the way they do simply because they have that reputation.  Bottom line is when you play that physical, you foul.  Pretty much every possession.  It's nearly impossible to play against that type of physical play because you never have any freedom of movement.  Constantly held, hacked, shoved, etc.  It simply should not be allowed.

Great job ladies to beat the thugs.

Good win for the ladies.  They battled hard, especially on the boards. I'm really impressed with Cravens ability and desire to get rebounds.  I wish we would improve on the silly unforced turnovers we seem to do every game.Not sure how a coach fixes that. We had 19 to their 10.  Also I wish Coach Williams would come up with some in bounds plays under our own  basket where there is a safe outlet to pass to. I know they try to run a play but nothing ever seems to work  and we end up having to throw in a desperation pass to beat the 5 second rule and it gets stolen way too often.  

2 hours ago, longtimefan said:

Good win for the ladies.  They battled hard, especially on the boards. I'm really impressed with Cravens ability and desire to get rebounds.  I wish we would improve on the silly unforced turnovers we seem to do every game.Not sure how a coach fixes that. We had 19 to their 10.  Also I wish Coach Williams would come up with some in bounds plays under our own  basket where there is a safe outlet to pass to. I know they try to run a play but nothing ever seems to work  and we end up having to throw in a desperation pass to beat the 5 second rule and it gets stolen way too often.  

late in the 4th quarter, Whitney Brown's 3 pointer appeared to be the result of what LTF is hoping for.  It came right after a TO, the inbounds pass, the movement of all 5 players to set the screen, and getting the shot off all came quickly and methodically as tho that's what Amy was drawing up during the TO. 

All around it was another great effort by the entire team.  Everybody contributed.  There is one thing I wonder about (and this comes out of curiosity not criticism), that maybe somebody with greater insight than my own can help explain ......   With a few seconds remaining, Huskers up by 3, Rutgers bringing the ball up court needing a 3 to go to overtime, clock ticking down...  Huskers had accumulated either no fouls or only one foul in the 4th quarter thus having fouls to give before they would result in free throws.  Instead of playing usual defense, why not interrupt Rutgers' rhythm and offensive plan by fouling?  Seems to me that once a few seconds has run off the clock while the set play begins to unfold, a foul could force Rutgers to start the play over again.  And then a few seconds later, another foul would start it all over again.  seems like this could eventually force an inbounds play with only a couple seconds remaining. Anyone?

6 minutes ago, Tom Jones said:

All around it was another great effort by the entire team.  Everybody contributed.  There is one thing I wonder about (and this comes out of curiosity not criticism), that maybe somebody with greater insight than my own can help explain ......   With a few seconds remaining, Huskers up by 3, Rutgers bringing the ball up court needing a 3 to go to overtime, clock ticking down...  Huskers had accumulated either no fouls or only one foul in the 4th quarter thus having fouls to give before they would result in free throws.  Instead of playing usual defense, why not interrupt Rutgers' rhythm and offensive plan by fouling?  Seems to me that once a few seconds has run off the clock while the set play begins to unfold, a foul could force Rutgers to start the play over again.  And then a few seconds later, another foul would start it all over again.  seems like this could eventually force an inbounds play with only a couple seconds remaining. Anyone?

I was thinking the same thing. I think there was maybe 15 seconds and we had only 1 foul. They needed to make a 3 point shot so we  should of fouled when the ball handler got near or just over the half court line. Depending on how many seconds would have been left, then we possibly could of fouled again, but before they got near the 3 point line. Strategically I think that would of been a smart call by our coach. If they had made the 3 point shot I think you would of heard people wondering or  criticizing why Coach Williams didn't call for the foul(s).

39 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Maybe a foul gives them time to re-set for a pre-planned play rather than strung out all over the floor, and thus a better chance of making it?

Well if you think us fouling them gives them time to re-set for a preplanned play then Rutgers would of called time out either before they took the ball out or when they got it over half court and set up a play. As I recall they had a time out left. 

28 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

Sounds like Haiby in the post game presser is referencing a past teammate? 

popped into my head when i heard that statement.

interesting stat Giurrantes(sp) had 0......0 offensive rebounds. Rutgers only had 10 second chance points. seems that has always been an issue with husker teams the past few years. hopefully we see the improvement continue. 

having said that, i still think Rutgers turns into a tough out as the season continues. pretty good talent there. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

1 hour ago, All About the Corn said:

Sounds like Haiby in the post game presser is referencing a past teammate? 

Caught my attention too.  Almost posted that last night but had trouble with submission. 🙄  Of course, it helps to have scorers too generally, but Sam has definitely done her part.

Bella Cravens has really made a difference for us this year. She came in here knowing how to rebound and has the mindset of crashing the boards. This team has needed that for a couple of years...... She has filled the bill.

Just proves it can be done ....game in and game out...Getting nearly 10 rebounds per game now. Really do think that kind aggressiveness is rubbing off to the other players... by example I guess. They seem to fight more for the ball.

Thus far it seems she is the most valuable to the team....new player we have. 

.....and she's smiling more, so must be having fun :)

Issie and Bella had 25 rebounds .....just wow 

Edited by redsteve