uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 11 - vs. Michigan St.

uneblinstu

On 1/8/2021 at 3:25 PM, Jacob Padilla said:

I'm guessing Hoiberg has a better feel for what's going on in the inner workings of and interpersonal dynamics within his program than any of us on the outside looking in. What does "Hoiberg better start taking notice" even mean? 

More generally, McGowens is shooting 40.6% inside the arc and while he's shooting well from 3, he's taken twice as many 2s and isn't shooting well from the foul line either. He has 15 assists and 22 turnovers in 11 games this season. It's great that he played really well against a bad defensive team in Michigan State; hopefully that carries forward. But due to factors both in and out of his control, he's been as much a part of the offensive struggles as anyone. 

They need to get better across the board. I'm going to need to see more evidence before I'm on board with the idea that giving McGowens the ball to run the offense is going to fix things. 

To me it's not about McGowens running the offense as much as it is him running the break as Banton doesn't seem to either possess the speed or drive to push the ball.  When we get a rebound, look for McGowens and see what happens.  If nothing is happening, get the ball to Banton and run the offense.