uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 11 - vs. Michigan St.

uneblinstu

- Another decent first half effort.

- Nice to see Webster hit some shots.

- Teddy is starting out games offensively great, but he can't keep from picking up fouls and some really needless ones, at that. It's killing the team. They need him on the court. He also lets mistakes affect his defense, his head drops and he gets lazy. 

- Really impressed with McGowens today on both ends. 

- I'm not really convinced Banton is what we need/want at PG. He's got some PG skills, but I think I'd rather see him not initiate the offense regularly. He does so much good on the court, but I wonder if the offense is better served if he moved off the 1?

- Continue to be encouraged by the growth I'm seeing from Yvan.

- Mayan looked good in some spurts, too. Both ends, really.

- Teddy doing his thing in the second half. That's why he's got to figure out how to stay out of foul trouble. He changes the game for NU and opposing defenses. For all of the things he does to drive coaches and fans crazy, he is NU's biggest weapon by a lot.

- NU with some silly, sloppy defense, though...

- Turnovers, too. Gotta take much better care of the ball.

- MSU has had an in-kind response for just about every statement NU threw at them.

- Huskers had more highlights, Spartans did more little things.

- Got enough from Teddy and Trey, maybe even Webster. Need more from everyone else.

- Honestly, I wonder if NU wins if PBA was full of fans. It would have been rocking...

- Rebounding fundamentals did NU in today.

- No Shamiel in the 2nd half.

- If they bring this effort from here on out, there will be wins, soon.

Prime opportunity for a win and some minor things pushed them out of it. Main thing being post play for everyone. 

-Andre looked ROUGH. And I mean ROUGH. I don't think he'll get many minutes moving forward with Walker eligible.

-Yvan had a solid game, but dropped a easy layup and had a couple head scratching finishes. Got pulled with about >8 minutes left so they could go small. 

-Lat picks up fouls. I have to imagine that's by design of the opposing team half the time. He's been in foul trouble in the first half quite a bit this year. He did finally knock down a 3 though. 

-Walker needs to provide stability, leadership, and some rebounding. And a scoring threat from the roll and hopefully 3. He has a tough task on Tuesday against one of the better two headed punches at center in the league. Admittedly, he's still an unknown to us, but if he's as advertised he'll make an impact

-Teddy gets in his own head at times, but when he pulls his head out and locks in, he's SO CRAFTY scoring. Looks like he made an emphasis today to try to get others involved at times in dump offs on drives.

-Attacking Trey helps this team a ton. Today was a prime example. 

-Banton looks like he's lost confidence. 

Not a horrible loss, but it was a prime opportunity to get a win against a reeling MSU team. Hoggard made a huge difference tonight. Clean up a couple little things and that's a different game. 

Initial thought-- disappointing loss as this was one we could have had.  However, we took a step forward in the "facing adversity" column tonight and for that I am happy.

Also-- are we trying to build this season around the wrong people?  I'm thinking McGowens might need to be the guy who touches the ball and creates each possession.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Also-- are we trying to build this season around the wrong people?  I'm thinking McGowens might need to be the guy who touches the ball and creates each possession.

I do think when McGowens attacks, the team is better for it. Much better. As far as Banton, they should probably split ball handling duties. Both offer different things but are valuable to our success. Banton is going through a funk right now

Edited by thrasher31

Well, we all pretty much know the team's various achilles heels at this point. But there are little slivers of light that keep poking thru, too. 

Definitely a project, and they've had--and will still have---worse nights than this. 

Just gotta keep the heads down and forge ahead building this team into its best incarnation. the nice thing about this conference is that you're not going to have crappy opponents, so your going to be building against quality opposition which I think helps development provided the mental conditioning of the squad is strong enough to handle the losses. 

Keep working, Huskers. These things pay off eventually. 

McGowens has maybe been our most consistent player all season. So explosive. Smart. Bit dirty. He’s not gonna get 20+ every night; but that was a bonus. 

Thought a lot of guys played much better today. Teddy obviously can get red hot. Was surprised to see Webster with a ton of minutes tonight. Thor played well despite not giving us much on offense. 

sTeVenSON ShOUlD sTarT oVEr ThOR (seriously how was that a thread?? Bro is very likely on his way out). Not sure if there will be a spot for lakes of he’s not getting up a shot. Maybe too early to tell on that front though.   

turnovers and oREB killed us tonight. Banton unfortunately didn’t help either.

15 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Prime opportunity for a win and some minor things pushed them out of it. Main thing being post play for everyone. 

-Andre looked ROUGH. And I mean ROUGH. I don't think he'll get many minutes moving forward with Walker eligible.

-Yvan had a solid game, but dropped a easy layup and had a couple head scratching finishes. Got pulled with about >8 minutes left so they could go small. 

-Lat picks up fouls. I have to imagine that's by design of the opposing team half the time. He's been in foul trouble in the first half quite a bit this year. He did finally knock down a 3 though. 

-Walker needs to provide stability, leadership, and some rebounding. And a scoring threat from the roll and hopefully 3. He has a tough task on Tuesday against one of the better two headed punches at center in the league. Admittedly, he's still an unknown to us, but if he's as advertised he'll make an impact

-Teddy gets in his own head at times, but when he pulls his head out and locks in, he's SO CRAFTY scoring. Looks like he made an emphasis today to try to get others involved at times in dump offs on drives.

-Attacking Trey helps this team a ton. Today was a prime example. 

-Banton looks like he's lost confidence. 

Not a horrible loss, but it was a prime opportunity to get a win against a reeling MSU team. Hoggard made a huge difference tonight. Clean up a couple little things and that's a different game. 

Agree a lot on Banton. His happy go lucky and smiley self was not there tonight. 

Looks like Trey has taking to some coaching, and so has Yvan. Trey looked good as a pace setting PG.  He was incredible and is by far my favorite player on the team.  

I think Teddy should play the 4.  He’s too slow to guard guards (foul trouble) but strong enough to body up bigs and expose them on O.  

I’d be curious to see:

Trey — PG (this is better because he can attack and dish rather than have to spot up).  

Kobe — SG (our only possible spot up guard with enough skill to have some decent scoring nights)

Thor/Trevor — SF (both defensive liabilities but can still space the floor and get threes off)

Teddy/Lat — StretchF (Teddy gets too many fouls against guards but has the strength to guard 4s and Lat is prototype).  

Banton/Walker/Yvan — C (sounds crazy but I think Banton could be a Magic Johnson mercenary C for this team. He’s a good enough 3pt threat for a big to stretch the defense, and he’d be deadly in transition or initiating the offfense).  We double the post every play anyway, so why not have Banton guards the block?  

At least with this lineup you’d see something skill wise resembling what is required for a 5-out offense.  

Edited by LK1

11 minutes ago, LNKtrnsplnt said:

McGowens has maybe been our most consistent player all season. So explosive. Smart. Bit dirty. He’s not gonna get 20+ every night; but that was a bonus. 

Thought a lot of guys played much better today. Teddy obviously can get red hot. Was surprised to see Webster with a ton of minutes tonight. Thor played well despite not giving us much on offense. 

sTeVenSON ShOUlD sTarT oVEr ThOR (seriously how was that a thread?? Bro is very likely on his way out). Not sure if there will be a spot for lakes of he’s not getting up a shot. Maybe too early to tell on that front though.   

turnovers and oREB killed us tonight. Banton unfortunately didn’t help either.

Kudos to Thor for tearing it up. He may eclipse the 30% mark from the field one of these nights. 

The fact that nobody can unseat Thor says more about the state of our bench than it does Thor who by all accounts is having a pretty atrocious year thus far. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

15 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Initial thought-- disappointing loss as this was one we could have had.  However, we took a step forward in the "facing adversity" column tonight and for that I am happy.

Trey is a true PG and proved it tonight.  I want Banton at the 5 making opposing centers look like clowns trying to stay with him.  We double in the post anyway. 

6 minutes ago, LNKtrnsplnt said:

Not sure if there will be a spot for lakes of he’s not getting up a shot. Maybe too early to tell on that front though.   

The one game he could have reallllly helped keep a W from becoming an L he missed (Nevada and their zone).

Unfortunately, I don't know that we will have much "zone killing" to do the rest of the way and that is where he is probably best.  I thought we'd have a little more offensive flow and therefore teams would have to try zone against us and that's where he'd fit in, but we don't.

2 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Looks like Trey has taking to some coaching, and so has Yvan. Trey looked good as a pace setting PG.  He was incredible and is by far my favorite player on the team.  

I think Teddy should play the 4.  He’s too slow to guard guards (foul trouble) but strong enough to body up bigs and expose them on O.  

I’d be curious to see:

Trey — PG (this is better because he can attack and dish rather than have to spot up).  

Kobe — SG (our only possible spot up guard with enough skill to have some decent scoring nights)

Thor/Trevor — SF (both defensive liabilities but can still space the floor and get threes off)

Teddy/Lat — StretchF (Teddy gets too many fouls against guards but has the strength to guard 4s and Lat is prototype).  

Banton/Walker/Yvan — C (sounds crazy but I think Banton could be a Magic Johnson mercenary C for this team. He’s a good enough 3pt threat for a big to stretch the defense, and he’d be deadly in transition or initiating the offfense).  We double the post every play anyway, so why not have Banton guards the block?  

At least with this lineup you’d see something skill wise resembling what is required got a 5-out offense.  

I’ve actually been wondering what it would look like for Banton to play at the 4 spot too. Probably won’t happen this season. But it could be a way to shift the lineup to get Bryce McGowens into the starting lineup next season. It could be interesting to see a starting lineup next season of McGowens, McGowens, Allen, Banton, Walker.

1 minute ago, Nebrasketballer said:

I’ve actually been wondering what it would look like for Banton to play at the 4 spot too. Probably won’t happen this season. But it could be a way to shift the lineup to get Bryce McGowens into the starting lineup next season. It could be interesting to see a starting lineup next season of McGowens, McGowens, Allen, Banton, Walker.

All depends on whether Walker can stretch the floor.  I might be wrong but I really think Wilhelm gets big minutes at the 5 next year if he can start the year at 220lbs.  You could pretty much play positionless basketball w Wilhelm.  He’s Lat with handles and elite passing skills. Meaner too. 

Banton plays too soft, and no one loves the kids skillset more than me.  He needs to take a Trey McGowens class on effort.  Without him asserting himself into our offense, we are going to struggle.

Teddy Allen may score points in bunches, but is his play what Hoiberg is looking for?  I struggle watching his game, it makes me cringe. His lazy turnovers, lazy defense and inability to jump for rebounds are equally as bad as the ugly buckets he grabs in bunches is good.

Webster should start over Thor

Lat Mayen needs to take the three when it's in rhythm, and stop putting the damn ball on the floor.  He needs to be more involved on both ends of the floor.  So far I feel we are not getting his best effort.

Yvan is definitely getting better.  Had one of his better outings tonight.

McGowens = Our leader and Hoiberg better start taking notice

As far as the game goes I am glad we didn't let the game get out of hand after MSU got up 17 in the second half.  I know Allen got us back in the game, but he also a large part of the reason we were down that much in the first place.

Last but not least... WE DRIBBLE WAY TOO MUCH!

Edited by big red22

18 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Kudos to Thor for tearing it up. He may eclipse the 30% mark from the field one of these nights. 

The fact that nobody can unseat Thor says more about the state of our bench than it does Thor who by all accounts is having a pretty atrocious year thus far. 

Sure but what he does off the ball is phenomenal. Knows how to cut and pass. You need someone like that with Fred’s offense (clearly Fred feels the same). Teddy can score but doesn’t really move unless he has the ball. Good to have someone who’s not static out there. If he can get to anywhere near where he was last year with his three point shooting that wound be tremendous. 

1 minute ago, LNKtrnsplnt said:

Sure but what he does off the ball is phenomenal. Knows how to cut and pass. You need someone like that with Fred’s offense (clearly Fred feels the same). Teddy can score but doesn’t really move unless he has the ball. Good to have someone who’s not static out there. If he can get to anywhere near where he was last year with his three point shooting that wound be tremendous. 

Look, I’m really not trying to dog Thor because I think he gives 110% but I guess we aren’t seeing the same player. If he has the IQ, cutting/passing ability everybody says he does I don’t see how his stats are all around terrible. 

1 minute ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Look, I’m really not trying to dog Thor because I think he gives 110% but I guess we aren’t seeing the same player. If he has the IQ, cutting/passing ability everybody says he does I don’t see how his stats are all around terrible. 

I think he’s smart. I was just reiterating the fact that many were calling for Stevenson over Thor on this board and how bad that take has aged.

7 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

One good way to not even accidentally dog on Thor could be talk about any other player on the roster at some point.

2 minutes ago, LNKtrnsplnt said:

I think he’s smart. I was just reiterating the fact that many were calling for Stevenson over Thor on this board and how bad that take has aged.

That aged bad because Shamiel has completely lost his confidence.  Thor has hardly been any better, and Shamiel clearly outplayed him early in the season.  

I’ve also called for Kobe to start over Thor, and he’s proven to have earned that spot to this point.  I like Thor first off the bench like tonight.  At least Kobe can stay in front of guards defensively.  Thor is a liability on defense period.  Offensively, if he can’t shoot, his savvy doesn’t make up for that deficiency in a 5-out system.