Michigan State (6-4)(0-3) vs. Nebraska (4-6)(0-3) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

8 minutes ago, LK1 said:

We played for 40 minutes and were competitive with a Top 20 team.  This was the first 40-minute scrap of the season.  

I was happy with the team and coaching tonight.  Proud of the effort.

I think this is momentum for Walker’s return, and I think we’re gonna make things interesting from this point on.  

Let’s go.  

The effort wasn't always there.  We had breakdowns, and were lazy in parts.  Rebounding down the stretch.  Not getting back on defense, even after a made basket, countless times until about 15 minutes left in the game.  

The score was close because shots were falling more than the effort.  Get back on defense and put a body on a MSU player, we probably go from a 7 point loss to a 5 point win.  Need to play with better effort.

Just now, huskerbill85 said:

You think its trolling to say Thor isnt very good? 

When he’s proven for 4 years he’s a glue player with our highest basketball IQ and his off the ball movement and passing creates numbers for other players.  This leads me to believe you are either trolling our figured you knew basketball because you coached a third grade boys team to an undefeated season and now know everything about basketball.  But whatever man, there are three guys with you being one of them who want to take a guy out and replace them with another player that isn’t going to produce any better but looks flashy.  You do you, I’m going to go back to comic books and death metal because it eases the nerves after a long day. Goodnight and good health.

1 minute ago, huskerbill85 said:

Yeah that's not what I'm saying at all and you've provided nothing of substance to suggest Thor earns his minutes. It's a discussion board why cant we discuss husker basketball? I'm not even insulting the kid.

Unfortunately multiple people have provided the fact that just because he isn't scoring, doesn't mean he isn't valuable.  Multiple people have pointed out that if he wasn't doing his job, Fred wouldn't be giving him the minutes he is.  Thor does the stuff that others on this team wont.  That is why he plays. 

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Only during losing seasons.  The tune changes if we are 2-2 in conference right now and had beaten either Ga Tech or Creighton.  We need someone to blame for our losses and that's usually the player who "doesn't do anything" because he doesn't shoot 25 times a game.

I don’t think anything changes if Thor was not on this team. 

With that said, he is a guard who is approaching shooting 25% from the field on the year. And he doesn’t make up for it on the other end. He should not be getting major minutes but that’s the position we are in. 

5 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I don’t think anything changes if Thor was not on this team. 

With that said, he is a guard who is approaching shooting 25% from the field on the year. And he doesn’t make up for it on the other end. He should not be getting major minutes but that’s the position we are in. 

Thank you for making the point I was trying to make.

To me, the issue with Thor isn’t that there is someone on the bench right now that should be getting his minutes instead. To me, it seems clear that the issue is that as long as Nebraska’s talent level is such that players of the caliber of Thor, Stevenson, and Yvan are consistently getting minutes, Nebraska won’t be winning at a very high level vs Power5 competition, especially not in the Big Ten.

Edited by Nebrasketballer

3 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

If everyone on this team would pass and cut like Thor we might create some open shots.  Thor has weaknesses but so does every other player.  Does Teddy play D? Can Banton shoot the three? Should Lat put the ball on the floor.  Our struggles are not because of Thor.  

I think it's more accurate to say Thor is no more or less responsible for our troubles than every other player that is not warming the bench.

Edited by TomEadesSucks

11 hours ago, brfrad said:

The effort wasn't always there.  We had breakdowns, and were lazy in parts.  Rebounding down the stretch.  Not getting back on defense, even after a made basket, countless times until about 15 minutes left in the game.  

The score was close because shots were falling more than the effort.  Get back on defense and put a body on a MSU player, we probably go from a 7 point loss to a 5 point win.  Need to play with better effort.

True.  Mentally, there were lapses and that comes with newcomers.  Transition defense is actually really difficult to teach and think Doc is as good as it gets teaching it, so this will improve.  

I thought our half court defense was really, really good.  MSU played well and executed their offense perfectly at times and we still made it hard for them all game.  That’s the first time I’ve seen defensive rotations we’re capable of making with our athleticism.  It was perfect yet, but it was night and day better. 

Respectfully disagree. I thought our halfcourt defense was poor. We failed to stop dribble penetration over and over again, which led to shots at the rim or kickouts -> extra passes -> good looks from three. At least a dozen of their three point attempts were wide open. If both teams shot their season averages from behind the arc, this would’ve been a blowout. A lot of our fouls last night were due to lazy defense and getting beat off the dribble. 

Hmm...the focus should not be on an individual unless that individual is the coach.  This is year two and it is his team and his players.  Any player not buying into this program or judged to have the correct skillset is gone.  Is that correct or incorrect?  

That said, it is the team that is struggling and/or failing.  Each and every player should be preforming at or above expectations.  Those expectations include consistency. I can think of one player that meets my expectation of a Big Ten type player.  Again, consistency is a must.  Can anyone justify more than one?  And is it the same player😁

Edited by Huskerpapa

50 minutes ago, TomEadesSucks said:

Can we play the first half of games than claim Covid issues for the second half? Sort of like the 5 inning rule in baseball?

I'd rather not. If it was between cutting the season in half, or playing a full season but losing the rest of our games, I'd take the latter. Sure, this season is shot (yet, based on where my expectations were at the start of this season, it was anyway), but we need the experience. Hopefully that helps translate some progress into next season.

On 1/2/2021 at 9:49 PM, Cazzie22 said:

If everyone on this team would pass and cut like Thor we might create some open shots.  Thor has weaknesses but so does every other player.  Does Teddy play D? Can Banton shoot the three? Should Lat put the ball on the floor.  Our struggles are not because of Thor.  

The struggles might not be because of Thor, but hes not contributing much for the mins he plays

12 hours ago, tcp said:

it would appear we've helped crash cart Sparty. They're currently handling Rutgers. 

Your welcome,  Coach Izzo. Let us know if there's anything else we can do for your program! 

Sparty has two NBA players in their starting lineup, from my eye test.  We played well against them.

They'll be a dark horse by the time the tournament comes around, just like every other year.  Izzo is just the best.  He's my favorite coach.