Fan Support vs. Team Production

HuskerFever

I wasn't sure where to put this, but this is more in response to the podcast boys at @The_nebrasketball_podcast. It's also an interesting discussion point, so I figured I'd post it here.

This is just for the 2019-2020 season, but I imagine the top average attendance schools are fairly consistent year-over-year. This isn't anything revolutionary, but Nebraska fan support continues to land within the top 15 in the country since 2014, yet our on-court results are drastically lacking other schools with similar fan support.

The classic "one of these things is not like the other". Unfortunately, I think we've answered the chicken-and-the-egg question. "If you support it, they will come" doesn't quite work for us. At some point, the administration needs to dissect the problems within the program and put the blame solely on themselves. We're doing our part, it's time for them to do theirs.

image.png

Exactly what do you propose the administration does to dissect the problems within the program?  We have a brand new arena, practice facility, went out and hired the best coach possible.  Not sure what more they can do to blame themselves?

Also, those stats are very misleading as for years, teams like Creighton would report attendance based on tickets sold and not the number of fans in attendance.  NU is doing the same thing now.  Other schools report based on fans attending so not really an apples to apples comparison.

Edited by kldm64

15 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Also, those stats are very misleading as for years, teams like Creighton would report attendance based on tickets sold and not the number of fans in attendance.  NU is doing the same thing now.  Other schools report based on fans attending so not really an apples to apples comparison.

Either way, tickets sold = revenue for a losing program.

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Either way, tickets sold = revenue for a losing program.

I didn't think your point was about revenue but rather fans showing up in attendance.  Maybe I mis-understood what you were trying to say by attendance then.  But think my other point is still valid as not sure what more you want the administration to do.

12 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

I didn't think your point was about revenue but rather fans showing up in attendance.  Maybe I mis-understood what you were trying to say by attendance then.  But think my other point is still valid as not sure what more you want the administration to do.

The point was that we're one of the few handful of schools out there that have cash positive programs, we have the fan support, profits to support the program. Yet there are so many other programs out there who can (and have) done more with less. Clearly we've mis-evaluated talent on this roster, who knows what else is going on; lack of confidence, poor chemistry, etc. But the program is making a whole lot of money for poor results. Then they hide behind a coaching change, rinse and repeat.

2 hours ago, hhcscott said:

Changed head coaches, assistant coaches, ADs, assistant AD, changed all the players, changed arenas, changed the part of town where the arena is located. 

The only remaining constants are the color red, the N, Adiddas, and us, the fans. What do we change? 

Get rid of the uniforms and the name on the jersey.  If they did it would probably take the refs a few games to realize who they're supposed to be screwing over.

5 hours ago, hhcscott said:

Changed head coaches, assistant coaches, ADs, assistant AD, changed all the players, changed arenas, changed the part of town where the arena is located. 

The only remaining constants are the color red, the N, Adiddas, and us, the fans. What do we change? 

It was us! All this time, it was us! (sobs and jumps off the bridge)

5 hours ago, tcp said:
11 hours ago, hhcscott said:

Expand  

Survives the fall, then locked up in a dungeon and forced to watch the game tape of all 7 NCAA appearances on loop for the rest of our lives...

5 hours ago, tcp said:

I know it sounds ridiculous, but so is the Groundhog's Day of Nebraska Basketball. I just can't figure out how, with all the foundational changes, we have the same fundamental issues.

The only other constant is the absence of consistent post play, The last time we had a 10 rebound per game player was 2007-08 (Aleks Maric) Scrolling through year by year and finding the number of seasons that our top rebounders were guards or small forwards, finding that Terran Petteway was the top shotblocker in 2014-15, finding that other teams are getting minimally contested shots in the paint while we lack a post scorer...that may be the root of our droughts, but the FT thing? Can't figure it out.