Northwestern game day thread 12-31-20

redsteve

There has been a lot of criticism on this board. Some fair and some very unfair. But today was fun.  Great game plan and girls hit a few clutch shots to overcome some bad luck with Sam getting hurt late — I honestly feel like if any 2 or even 1 of the Wing guards  (Kissenger Dillard brady or Clayton ) who all would have been n the season plans in June plays all season and we would be significantly better. As a unit our bigs are reasonably solid and Sam is very solid. We don’t get much positive out of the other guard spot.  They can all 3 shoot fairly well but they r  not athletic at all and more importantly is the fact that they don’t realize what they can’t do.  Specially they try to drive in traffic,  shoot floaters dribble by people against press etx. A Small unathletic kid that can shoot well can help if they don’t turn it over and move the ball but knowing what u can’t do is as important as knowing what u can do.—- great win. Still going to be some struggles this especiallh if porter  or Clayton don’t play. However if u return your 4 bigs and add 2 or 3 healthy wing guards/off guards we would be way better 

Edited by kansashusker

Very good win.  Good game plan and prep.  Great effort on the offensive boards.  Helped overcome way too many turnovers.  Need to work in inbounds plays.  Haiby; what can u say?  Gamer for sure.  As KH says, we’re extremely limited at the other guard spot, and overall lack athleticism and skilled posts on the offensive end.  To overcome all of that, give a great effort and get the win should be celebrated. 

Oh yeah, nice job on the back to back 3s Makenzie Brown!

I want to clarify something on my last post because after re reading it I think it sounded more harsh than I meant it. I was not referring to Brown. She is a freshman who because of injuries got thrown in the mix  and has given all she can and done well.  The issue is brown porter and scoggins r very similar physically. It’s hard to have 3 kids like that and when frequently u have to play 2 at a time because of injuries.   They r all 3 great teammates and the bench enthusiasm they bring is refreshing. 

Edited by kansashusker

1 hour ago, kansashusker said:

There has been a lot of criticism on this board. Some fair and some very unfair. But today was fun.  Great game plan and girls hit a few clutch shots to overcome some bad luck with Sam getting hurt late — I honestly feel like if any 2 or even 1 of the Wing guards  (Kissenger Dillard brady or Clayton ) who all would have been n the season plans in June plays all season and we would be significantly better. As a unit our bigs are reasonably solid and Sam is very solid. We don’t get much positive out of the other guard spot.  They can all 3 shoot fairly well but they r  not athletic at all and more importantly is the fact that they don’t realize what they can’t do.  Specially they try to drive in traffic,  shoot floaters dribble by people against press etx. A Small unathletic kid that can shoot well can help if they don’t turn it over and move the ball but knowing what u can’t do is as important as knowing what u can do.—- great win. Still going to be some struggles this especiallh if porter  or Clayton don’t play. However if u return your 4 bigs and add 2 or 3 healthy wing guards/off guards we would be way better 

I thought Scoggin had a decent game.  

1 hour ago, kansashusker said:

Great post.  The bolded part is the problem with this program the last several years.  My thought is they don't ever see the quickness and athleticism in practice that they eventually will face in a game, so they get away with it in practice and think they can do it in games.  Too many inexplicable and inexcusable turnovers is the result.

That being said, congratulations to the ladies on a big win.  It is nice to see that there is still a Cornhuskers' athletic program that shows some heart.

NW obviously thought they could sleepwalk their way to a win and except for the FG resulting from the horrible inbounds turnover at the end of the 3rd quarter, they quite literally could not hit the broad side of the barn for 10 minutes.  That was certainly enjoyable to watch as the entire NW team seemed to carry themselves with an entitled attitude.  Nice to shove it back in their face.

34 minutes ago, kansashusker said:

FYI— NUtball the women practice against a men’s practice squad every day normally (not sure if they r during covid) so that they r used to higher athleticism.  That’s pretty standard in bcs women’s b-ball. 

Yes, I know that.  But, that has not fixed the recurring problem that they oftentimes think they can throw the ball through 3 defenders as if they were not there or that they can throw a lazy pass across the top of the key when the defender is obviously closely guarding or overplaying the intended recipient.  This has been going on for years.  So, either they are not (or have not historically been) seeing that kind of defensive pressure from the men's practice squad or they simply are not totally accepting that there are limitations to what is possible on a basketball court, either due to the laws of physics or due to their own lack of elite athleticism that you initially pointed out.

21 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Now that was some heart!  Nice win ladies!!

GRIT; NO QUIT HUSKER LADIES!

23 hours ago, redsteve said:

They deserved the win...fought hard the whole game. Not the usual wins too.... Won the boards and three shooting.

One happy team !!

image.png

23 hours ago, 12dozen said:

The smile on their faces at the end, my favorite part.  Well done ladies. Well done staff.

Edited by Red Don

What a performance!  Huskers played with focus, organization, and effort all the way.  This is what will be required to remain competitive with teams possessing more quickness and athleticism.  Yesterday I saw the fight and determination that was evident during AW's second season but has often been hard to find since.  GREAT JOB all around, ladies.  It especially great to see Scoggins and Brown hit the 3s.  

Of course there are a few recurring problems that i hope we will see less of the most annoying to watch are 1) lazy lob passes over defenders capable of grabbing them out of the sky and 2) bigs holding the ball long enough and loosely enough for quick handed opponents to swat them loose.  

Well Ashley Scoggin may warrant something more than just 'faint praise.'

image.png

This is a Team Sport. All Eight players available to play in this game contributed significant minutes in this Win; And We Needed Every One of Them!  We should be celebrating Every Win, because, God knows, they are hard to come by.