Something that I think could help athletes at UNL

Ok, long time season ticket holder in men’s basketball (1990-current) and football (1987-2003) with some food for thought as we enter a new year.

Something that isn’t talked about much because it’s seen almost as Taboo even today, is the benefits of a true sports psychologist and the effects it has on the overall mental well being of today’s student athletes.

I’ve had the privilege of speaking with Coach Osborne numerous times regarding this. He credits Jack Stark and the formation of the Unity council with as much - if not more credit towards the mid 90’s dominance as much as he did improved recruiting or a particular scheme on offense or defense. The mental toughness and focus during that time was undoubtedly in a much higher place than in today’s athletic department. 
Now, I’m not going to get into why Dr. Stark hasn’t been utilized since I believe 2004, and that he’s subsequently worked with Creighton and Doug McDermott, Hendricks motor sports, amongst many others. 
Mental health is on the decline amongst young people. That’s a fact. Depression, Anxiety, and Suicides are on a sharp increase even in the past few years. Think this doesn’t apply here? I can think of two former starters at Receiver and 2 promising volleyball players that transferred all dealing with mental health issues. There is a current juco transfer as well dealing with mental health issues. 
It’s really easy to get on this forum or Twitter and quickly say “___ sucks at shooting” or “______ is a waste of space.” I’m not throwing stones, I’ve done it too. I’ve NEVER tweeted at or tagged a player with a negative comment, but many “fans” have. 
All this to say, I believe the players feel the pressure and the consecutive losses mount up and they can sense the negativity. And it compounds, and increases the pressure. Yes, they are division I scholarship players and they should be able to handle pressure. But wouldn’t a dedicated, team sports psychologist be of some benefit?  Coach Miles brought in someone part time and he and his staff as well as the players mentioned it was helping. Then the plug was pulled. 
And yes, I’m fully aware of the NAPL and that kind of research science and analytics isn’t what I’m getting at. It’s tangible ways of helping Lat with a shooting slump, Teddy with his competitive fire and using that for good. It’s helping a third year volleyball player from a small town in another state deal with a true freshmen coming in and taking her spot. It’s keeping guys like Luke and Adrian from getting too down and able to deal with the immense pressure of leading the team as a QB. You get the point. It’s something that’s been on my mind really the past few years. Ok, I’m off my soap box. Someone hand me a root beer and I’ll go to bed....

Edited by Faux Mike Peltz

• Faux Mike Peltz changed the title to Something that I think could help athletes at UNL
1 hour ago, swmckewon said:

They have many sports psychologists. 

They are doing an admirable job with some programs. Some, not so much. 
Wonder why Moos was so adamant that Miles not use “outside” help?? (Ok, we know) 

Sam, would you agree that today’s student athlete deals with added pressure due to social media and easier access from fans vs. 15-20 years ago?? 

10 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I think all our men’s sports having trouble is because the Athletic department sold our programs to the devil for our good to great runs in the 90’s.😈👹👺👿😱

I am starting to seriously consider the possibility there is a literal curse on our men's sports. It is the only thing that makes any sense! Perhaps I'm just tired of getting kicked in the dick all the time...

15 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Ok, long time season ticket holder in men’s basketball (1990-current) and football (1987-2003) with some food for thought as we enter a new year.

Something that isn’t talked about much because it’s seen almost as Taboo even today, is the benefits of a true sports psychologist and the effects it has on the overall mental well being of today’s student athletes.

I’ve had the privilege of speaking with Coach Osborne numerous times regarding this. He credits Jack Stark and the formation of the Unity council with as much - if not more credit towards the mid 90’s dominance as much as he did improved recruiting or a particular scheme on offense or defense. The mental toughness and focus during that time was undoubtedly in a much higher place than in today’s athletic department. 
Now, I’m not going to get into why Dr. Stark hasn’t been utilized since I believe 2004, and that he’s subsequently worked with Creighton and Doug McDermott, Hendricks motor sports, amongst many others. 
Mental health is on the decline amongst young people. That’s a fact. Depression, Anxiety, and Suicides are on a sharp increase even in the past few years. Think this doesn’t apply here? I can think of two former starters at Receiver and 2 promising volleyball players that transferred all dealing with mental health issues. There is a current juco transfer as well dealing with mental health issues. 
It’s really easy to get on this forum or Twitter and quickly say “___ sucks at shooting” or “______ is a waste of space.” I’m not throwing stones, I’ve done it too. I’ve NEVER tweeted at or tagged a player with a negative comment, but many “fans” have. 
All this to say, I believe the players feel the pressure and the consecutive losses mount up and they can sense the negativity. And it compounds, and increases the pressure. Yes, they are division I scholarship players and they should be able to handle pressure. But wouldn’t a dedicated, team sports psychologist be of some benefit?  Coach Miles brought in someone part time and he and his staff as well as the players mentioned it was helping. Then the plug was pulled. 
And yes, I’m fully aware of the NAPL and that kind of research science and analytics isn’t what I’m getting at. It’s tangible ways of helping Lat with a shooting slump, Teddy with his competitive fire and using that for good. It’s helping a third year volleyball player from a small town in another state deal with a true freshmen coming in and taking her spot. It’s keeping guys like Luke and Adrian from getting too down and able to deal with the immense pressure of leading the team as a QB. You get the point. It’s something that’s been on my mind really the past few years. Ok, I’m off my soap box. Someone hand me a root beer and I’ll go to bed....

As a longer time season ticket holder...1977...I totally agree. 

15 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Anybody that tweets to players about how bad they are. aren't fans they are Idiots.