uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 10 - @ Ohio State

uneblinstu

10 minutes ago, hugh42 said:

This loss sucks for sure, but I've seen this before. In 1995 at Oklahoma St. we got drubbed 93-53. That team was not great by any means, but it did have Erick Strickland, Jaron Boone and Terrance Badgett who were all juniors, so enough talent that you would expect them to be at least competitive against an unranked OSU team. We weren't and sometimes games like this happen to good teams (not saying we are at present). We will see what kind of character this "team" has on Saturday against MSU. I have no doubt that all of these guys are competitors and want to win, but will they start doing the things necessary for the team to succeed. The snowball is picking up steam, can they stop it.

One other item that is similar between this year and the 94-95 season. During that 94-95 season, we had a future NBA player signed who ended up starting at point guard as a freshman the following season. Hopefully the 20-21 team will have a future NBA player starting for it as well.

I mean this is Nebrasketball after all. People are thinking this was the ultimatum beatdown only because it was the freshest. You don’t have to go back very far to find multiple embarrassments during the Tim Miles ERA and Doc Sadler ERA. I mean, who could forget the below dandy?

It won’t be the last this year. With COVID and a newborn I’ve probably watched too much Big Ten basketball. We are easily outclassed by every Big Ten team this year. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

7 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I mean this is Nebrasketball after all. People are thinking this was the ultimatum beatdown only because it was the freshest. You don’t have to go back very far to find multiple embarrassments during the Tim Miles ERA and Doc Sadler ERA. I mean, who could forget the below dandy?

It won’t be the last this year. With COVID and a newborn I’ve probably watched too much Big Ten basketball. We are easily outclassed by every Big Ten team this year. 

Or maybe this takes the cake? Doesn’t get much worse being down 43-8 at home on National TV

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UduLx9s9Leg

Edited by huskerbaseball13

My analysis will start with the coach, who has won before in a major conference, so until this continues to suck for another couple of years, I'm going to assume we have a successful coaching staff.

As for the players, I haven't watched a lot of other teams in the Big Ten this year, but I've seen enough to seriously wonder if any of our guys — with Banton as a possible exception — would start on ANY other Big Ten team. Hell, OSU pulls a guy off the bench, Ahrens, who plays 12 minutes a game, and shoots the lights out. Our candidates to play that role are:

• An Icelander who's hitting 21 percent.
  • A Division II transfer who's hitting 25 percent against teams not called "Doane."
  • A Summit League transfer who's 0-for-8 against Big Ten competition.

T. McGowens and T. Allen might be able to play a role on another Big Ten team, but I'm hard-pressed to figure out what it might be. 

We definitely need to keep those three around for the future, and we need to keep trying to develop players such as Andre and Wood, but we're woefully short of talent compared to other conference teams, and that apparently includes Northwestern, which isn't having any trouble running guys out there who can get off — and make — a high percentage of their 3-point shots in a five-out offense.

Best case next year?

• B. McGowens has an immediate impact, much like Ayo Dosunmu did at Illinois.
  • Banton continues to develop as a team leader and point guard, building on what he's painfully learning right now.
  • Teddy and Trey hang around, but with an understanding that Bryce and Banton are the straws that stir a winning drink.
  • Somebody develops as a true Big Ten post — not even one of the better ones, just an adequate guy like Kyle Young  — whether it's Yvan, Eduardo or Derrick.
  • Tominaga is a true sniper who not only can get his shot off against athletic opposition, but drain 40 percent of them.
  • Breidenbach is ready to contribute as a stretch four off the bench.
  • We find some (gulp) transfers who can shoot from deep, or Lakes figures out how to do that this year and becomes a Big Ten-level sniper by next year.

There's a lot of development and hope tied to just getting this team to be competitive, but if Nebrasketball fans possess a lot of anything, it's hope ... and patience, which is wearing thin as 2020 winds down.

On edit: Lat. Oh, Lat. Seems like an awesome human being, but I'm just not seeing anything that tells me he can play at this level. I hope he can turn it around soon. I'll be pulling for him.

Edited by jayschool

Despite last night, my dissatisfaction with how this year is going, and my hesitation on the program right now...

I don’t think this team is as bad as we showed last night.  I don’t think we’re an 0-20 conference team.  I don’t think we’ll see another beat down like we saw yesterday.  And... I don’t know why... but I don’t think we’ll lose by more than a few buckets on Saturday if we lose.  We may pull it out.

We need something good to happen to us.  Once it does though... it’ll be interesting  to see how the snowball rolls.

Through thick and thin... GBR forever!

Edited by hskr4life

I'm interested to see if Walker is going to make any difference.   He might be a big help on the pick and roll.

I refuse to believe we are going to shoot this bad for an entire season.  Soon or later they have to start going in?

I still feel good about our coaches.   They can't do much if players cannot hit open looks.  For the most part I think he can get guys open so really interested to see next year's guys in the offense. 

Still behind Hoiberg to turn this around.  He had to start from scratch, at a program that hasn't had any sustained success since the 90's.  We have some pieces, they just aren't fitting together.  Hoiberg sees it too, he knows.  Trust the process.  Looking micro I can get pretty upset.  Choosing to look macro right now.  It wasn't that long ago I was at PBA cheering when we were picked for the dance.  It will happen again.

12 hours ago, hskr4life said:

—The Hoiberg hire was “flashy” and he was a “flashy” name.  It was a “darn good” hire that I was looking for.  How long before the flashy goes away and we need to start putting up some actual results though?  Especially on the recruiting trail.  We have the coach with a name.  We have the facilities.  We need the results.

what exactly are your recruiting results that you need to see? In his first real recruiting cycle he has a 5*, a kid in the national 50-75 range and best shooter in Juco. That is a great result if you asked me.

Fred inherited a horrible roster that had to be wrecked. Think it is crazy to put him on the clock in less than two years and only 10 games into a season with mostly new guys playing together. It sucks waiting and watching crap like last night but he is a proven coach and needs time

4 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Yeah, I probably didn't need to include the height reference. Plenty of 6'8" shot blockers out there. Point is, we're again one of the worst power conference teams in the country in opponent's block % and this is something Hoiberg emphasizes. Either need to figure out how to get players to play smarter or start recruiting kids who are more coachable. I do think Bryce and Wilhelm are a good start. 

Actually, I believe they're middle of the pack. They're getting their shots blocked about half as often as last year. Nebraska has blocked more shots than it's had blocked this year (including in the Big Ten games). 

5 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Actually, I believe they're middle of the pack. They're getting their shots blocked about half as often as last year. Nebraska has blocked more shots than it's had blocked this year (including in the Big Ten games). 

It has improved since last year. Last year, we were 353rd in the country for that metric. As of today, we’re 196th. Opponents are blocking 9.2% of our shots and we’re blocking 8.9% of theirs. It’s reasonable to expect these numbers to worsen as the year goes on, as there aren’t many McNeese St’s left on the schedule. Minnesota, Rutgers, etc are waiting with some big athletic dudes. 

This was a trainwreck, but for some reason I couldn't stop watching. What's mystifying to me is that Coach Hoiberg sees these guys in practice every day and a constant refrain has been that we have guys who can make shots, but for some reason, haven't done so in games. The mental aspect of the game is so important, and I have to believe that at least 50% of our problems emanate between the ears. But watching these guys, I am alarmed at the glaring lack of basketball IQ/savvy that has been on display. There have been numerous examples of this, such as knowing when (and when not) you have an advantage to take your defender off the dribble, failing to make an extra pass when doing so would have resulted in a clean look for a teammate, or simply showing an understanding of your assignment on the defensive end. 

I still believe we have pieces to be competitive, but these fundamental mistakes have got to get cleaned up. Banton is a good player, but I'd rather see him pass up most of the 3's he takes and instead develop a mid/short range game where he gets in the paint and uses his length to score taking short jump shots - not to mention getting stronger so he can finish better at the rim. He also ball watches on defense and is slow to close out quite a bit. Same for Teddy. Teddy could benefit from developing a 8-12 foot repertoire as well. 

I haven't lost faith that HCFH knows how to coach and teach basketball, but unless he has some skills as a sports psychologist, this may get uglier. I'm hoping that Walker can at least be a threat that other teams have to account for off of ball screens - even having the ability to catch the ball and go up and finish without bringing the ball down will be a huge upgrade. I am pulling for Lat, but if he can't make shots, there is simply no advantage to playing him at the 4 or 5. What he gives up defensively he has to be able to offset by making them pay on the offensive end. Hoping we can taste at least some semblance of success and improvement in the next few weeks. Forever GBR, even it it drives me to the asylum. 

Edited by Coaches kid

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

what exactly are your recruiting results that you need to see? In his first real recruiting cycle he has a 5*, a kid in the national 50-75 range and best shooter in Juco. That is a great result if you asked me.

Fred inherited a horrible roster that had to be wrecked. Think it is crazy to put him on the clock in less than two years and only 10 games into a season with mostly new guys playing together. It sucks waiting and watching crap like last night but he is a proven coach and needs time

When I referenced results, I was talking about actual game results not recruiting so I think there was a misinterpretation there.  I love the class we have coming in next year.  It’s a great start.  But I feel probably the only reason we got the 5* is that his brother plays here.  So, as mentioned in another thread, I’d like to see us start picking up some of those types of players outside of family ties.

What I was saying is how long does the flashiness of the Fred hire go on vs when we need to start putting up results on the floor to continue to be attractive to recruits?  Haven’t seen anyone on the board putting Fred “on the clock” or anywhere near the hot seat, but we’re going to need actual floor results sometime to stay attractive to recruits.  Same thing happened when we danced under Miles and when the new arena was built.  Shiny new toys are only shiny for so long.

We’re in on some really good 2021-2022 guys.  Excited to see if we can continue the strong recruiting we have seen so far!

1 hour ago, Coaches kid said:

This was a trainwreck, but for some reason I couldn't stop watching. What's mystifying to me is that Coach Hoiberg sees these guys in practice every day and a constant refrain has been that we have guys who can make shots, but for some reason, haven't done so in games. The mental aspect of the game is so important, and I have to believe that at least 50% of our problems emanate between the ears. But watching these guys, I am alarmed at the glaring lack of basketball IQ/savvy that has been on display. There have been numerous examples of this, such as knowing when (and when not) you have an advantage to take your defender off the dribble, failing to make an extra pass when doing so would have resulted in a clean look for a teammate, or simply showing an understanding of your assignment on the defensive end. 

I still believe we have pieces to be competitive, but these fundamental mistakes have got to get cleaned up. Banton is a good player, but I'd rather see him pass up most of the 3's he takes and instead develop a mid/short range game where he gets in the paint and uses his length to score taking short jump shots - not to mention getting stronger so he can finish better at the rim. He also ball watches on defense and is slow to close out quite a bit. Same for Teddy. Teddy could benefit from developing a 8-12 foot repertoire as well. 

I haven't lost faith that HCFH knows how to coach and teach basketball, but unless he has some skills as a sports psychologist, this may get uglier. I'm hoping that Walker can at least be a threat that other teams have to account for off of ball screens - even having the ability to catch the ball and go up and finish without bringing the ball down will be a huge upgrade. I am pulling for Lat, but if he can't make shots, there is simply no advantage to playing him at the 4 or 5. What he gives up defensively he has to be able to offset by making them pay on the offensive end. Hoping we can taste at least some semblance of success and improvement in the next few weeks. Forever GBR, even it it drives me to the asylum. 

I'm with you- and writing this from the asylum in which I have been contained since the 70s when I began torturing myself each winter. I won't give up and still thank God the He sent us Coach Hoiberg. It isn't hard to let go and hope for better results next year, and as several keen observes have noted- our metrics are improving. The record isn't but eventually the math will begin to make sense in the macro. Here's to a happy and blessed new year for each one of you on this board. God be praised!

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

When I referenced results, I was talking about actual game results not recruiting so I think there was a misinterpretation there.  I love the class we have coming in next year.  It’s a great start.  But I feel probably the only reason we got the 5* is that his brother plays here.  So, as mentioned in another thread, I’d like to see us start picking up some of those types of players outside of family ties.

What I was saying is how long does the flashiness of the Fred hire go on vs when we need to start putting up results on the floor to continue to be attractive to recruits?  Haven’t seen anyone on the board putting Fred “on the clock” or anywhere near the hot seat, but we’re going to need actual floor results sometime to stay attractive to recruits.  Same thing happened when we danced under Miles and when the new arena was built.  Shiny new toys are only shiny for so long.

We’re in on some really good 2021-2022 guys.  Excited to see if we can continue the strong recruiting we have seen so far!

Here's a recruiting idea: We self-impose a post-season ban for 2020-21 in anticipation of committing some egregious infractions over the next year or so. I'm talking really egregious, like offering $100,000 to somebody and his family. Maybe a job or two, too.

Recruiting can only go so fast, but Fred has essentially already flipped the roster.  The kids just aren't here yet.

I don't think it unwise to expect a massive shift next season.  Bryce McGowens isn't some overhyped JUCO star.  He's a bonafide program changer--possibly the best SG recruit in the country.  He's the freshman who goes to KU or Kentucky or Duke and starts day 1.  With him in the lineup, we can:

1. Have an unguardable player who can score from anywhere.

2. Allow Trey to be an absolute soldier on defense whose primary purpose is to make someone's life hell for 30 minutes.  He obviously has his offensive shortcomings, but he is a world class defender and athlete.  I love watching him play defense.

3.  Take legitimate pressure off of Banton as a ball-handler.  He can do everything Banton can do offensively--not as good of a passer but a much better scorer.  Either guy can initiate the offense or play off the ball.  

4.  Give us crazy length on the defensive perimeter without giving up any athleticism.  

Add snipers to that dude and it's a completely different team.  I'm not seeing a bunch of bad players.  I'm seeing an incomplete roster of role players who are being asked to do too much.  Trey, Teddy (most of the time), Lat, Kobe, Derrick, Yvan, and Trevor are all role players--ones I'd be happy to have on any team.  But they can't be role players if the squad doesn't have any stars.  Delano is a budding star in another year.  Bryce will arrive as one.  Keisei and Wilhelm are optimistic question marks, but they both bring skills we don't currently have and are required for Fred's system.  

So rather than sulk too much about a team that can't score in droves, I'm choosing to picture some really good role players on next year's roster and enjoy their competitive spirit when they bring it this season.

The cupboard ain't bare.  It's just not stocked yet.  

Edited by LK1

8 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Doc's first year in the B1G consisted of two 30+ point beatdown by a Jared Sullinger led Ohio St team.

Since this is 2020 we didn't get the chance to redeem ourselves via Bruce Weber

7 hours ago, jayschool said:

A Division II transfer who's hitting 25 percent against teams not called "Doane."

Lakes has a real 'i'm not supposed to shoot unless this is meaningless because I don't want to be a bad teammate' vibe to him right now when in fact he would be a good teammate by pulling the trigger and maybe being a 3pt threat. It seems like a fitting part of our not knowing what to do when things are difficult and they always get difficult problem.

3 hours ago, hskr4life said:

But I feel probably the only reason we got the 5* is that his brother plays here.  So, as mentioned in another thread, I’d like to see us start picking up some of those types of players outside of family ties.

Actually, if there are any other 5 star players with a brother as good as Trey I would contend its a better strategy to get the 5 star with a brother than the 5 star without one 😃

5 hours ago, hskr4life said:

There are only 25 5* players.  There is only one other B1G team that got one.  They don't grow on trees.  They are NBA players.

Fred also hauled in a Top 20 4* center with no siblings here.

I also think Keisei would've been a 4* if he played in the states.  His shooting is other worldly, and it's not Lat other-worldly.  He has no conscience.  He's the #2 JUCO SG.  

This is a hell of a class.