uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 10 - @ Ohio State

uneblinstu

I've watched a lot of bad Nebrasketball over the past 25 years, but I dont think thru all the bad losses that I can recall a performance like this, especially the talent of the opponent.  This is really sad considering the talent NE has or the talent we thought they have.  The need shooters period and a threat of an inside game.  This style wont work in this conference unless you hit shots. Im starting to think a true pg is needed as well.

40 minutes ago, coughunter said:

I've watched a lot of bad Nebrasketball over the past 25 years, but I dont think thru all the bad losses that I can recall a performance like this, especially the talent of the opponent.  This is really sad considering the talent NE has or the talent we thought they have.  The need shooters period and a threat of an inside game.  This style wont work in this conference unless you hit shots. Im starting to think a true pg is needed as well.

Your not alone on the PG opinion. I like Banton off the ball better, he seems to casual at the point

Some thoughts after having a few hours to digest.

—The snowball is seriously rolling in the wrong direction.  We need to turn it around now.  I’m afraid it might be too late though.  Tonight feels like a turning point.  We may just come out firing on Saturday.  We also might pack it in.  Which team shows up?  Which mindset do we take.  Important game on Saturday, not just for Ws and Ls.

—As was pointed out, I was a huge Miles fan.  Loved him as a person and coach.  However, I was also really excited about the Hoiberg hire too.  I’m not afraid to admit that Tim struggled to put up results... in multiple years — including with the best team we’ve seen around these parts in an long time.  I said back then that if we got rid of Tim, we better have a darn good hire lined up.  The Hoiberg hire was “flashy” and he was a “flashy” name.  It was a “darn good” hire that I was looking for.  How long before the flashy goes away and we need to start putting up some actual results though?  Especially on the recruiting trail.  We have the coach with a name.  We have the facilities.  We need the results.

—Once again, I’ve been sadly disappointed with our offense this year under Fred.  It was supposed “look” better this year but I don’t think it looks different than last year or honestly years past.  Whether it be the scheme or players... it just isn’t working.

—I didn’t expect us to win a ton of games this year or make the postseason.  I did however expect us to be competitive in almost every game, win some games against good teams, and win more games than last year.  I just don’t see that happening right now.  We’ve not competed for a full 40 minutes yet against another P5 team.

—Saturday is a new day.  Like most, I’ll still watch, cheer, and either be really happy or really pissed at the end of the game.  All is not lost until the season is officially over.  

—As bad as we feel, I also have to think about the boys and how they feel.  No one likes getting their teeth kicked in.  Stay behind this team!  See it through!  They deserve support along with any criticism.

23 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Well, if you were ever going to have a “Players Only” meeting, I’d say tomorrow would be a good time...

What good is a meeting of three guys gonna do? ;)

Seriously, I put more effort into watching this than the team put into playing it.

There is a systemic problem in NU men's athletics...the teams lack confidence and resilience. They are unable to compensate and adjust. This game was 13-13. A couple of things go badly and then it becomes a 40 point deficit. How is there no adjustment? How is there no tactical shift? How is it players don't try something different on their own? 

How does each coaching change result in the same issues? ( 4+ minute scoring droughts IN EVERY GAME/horrid FT shooting)

22 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

What good is a meeting of three guys gonna do? ;)

Seriously, I put more effort into watching this than the team put into playing it.

There is a systemic problem in NU men's athletics...the teams lack confidence and resilience. They are unable to compensate and adjust. This game was 13-13. A couple of things go badly and then it becomes a 40 point deficit. How is there no adjustment? How is there no tactical shift? How is it players don't try something different on their own? 

How does each coaching change result in the same issues? ( 4+ minute scoring droughts IN EVERY GAME/horrid FT shooting)

“Trying something different on yer own” is what I’m talking about. After getting stripped of yer manhood on National TV it might be time to look each other in the eye & say, ENOUGH!

I think I see a offense that when we pass and move we can get guys open looks... BUT... the ball has to go into the hoop.

When it doesn’t we get to see 4 guys stand around while one guy tries to get that 10 point play that we need all by himself...

Then the wheels really fall off... they seem to not trust each other fully... and we may not see that at all this year...

Right now I can see the seniors not coming back... along with two guys that I think aren’t really buying in...

Just my thoughts.

4 hours ago, millerhusker said:

To my eye, there are only three guys on this team who appear to be good culture guys (good body language, constant effort , unselfish, etc) - Thor, Trey and Yvan. We only had three last year (traded Cheatham for Trey).   If we're talking x's and o's, I think Hoiberg can coach circles around our previous three coaches. But I thought those three coaches implemented a solid culture early and sustained it during their time. 

I would add Kobe to the culture list.  This can’t be what he hoped for his last year to be, but he seems to still be a team first guy.

1.  This was a rare awful defensive effort, which is why we got slaughtered. 

2.  We can’t shoot.  I think that’s conclusive by now.  

3.  This is, statistically, possibly the best conference of all time.  Let that sink in before getting too down.  

4.  Due to #3, we can’t get away with #2 and win only with defense this year.  There’s just too many fantastic teams.  

5.  I’ll start truly judging this year’s team when Walker enters the lineup.  

6.  I’ve seen plenty of good looks generated by our offense all season (and last season).  Help is on the way next year, but it’s very hard to bring it every night know you’re gonna shoot 20% this year.  

Thank goodness for fast forward. While I understand the financial and academic reasons for joining the Big Ten, I have to wonder if NU made the right choice from a sports stand point. Other than our volleyball team, I am beginning to doubt we will ever catch up to the "old" Big Ten teams in any of the men's sports despite hiring who we thought were our "dream coaches". Oh, just ignore me, it may simply be another bad batch of oatmeal talking. 

10 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Hoiberg says getting your shot blocked is the same thing as a turnover. We just got our shot blocked 5 times by a team that doesn't have a guy over 6'8". Pull a guy when they force something that results in a blocked shot.

I get what you're saying but Roby was 6'8".  

Ok, after letting my negativity subside for a night, I woke up looking for some positives and silver lining's from last nights game.  Hopefully this brings you some optimism as well:

1)  We started the 2nd half on a 3-0 run

2)  We only missed 6 free throws

3)  Andre had a perfect night of shooting

4)  Lat made a three

5)  2020 ends in under 18 hours

9 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Ok, after letting my negativity subside for a night, I woke up looking for some positives and silver lining's from last nights game.  Hopefully this brings you some optimism as well:

1)  We started the 2nd half on a 3-0 run

2)  We only missed 6 free throws

3)  Andre had a perfect night of shooting

4)  Lat made a three

5)  2020 ends in under 18 hours

6) We swatted not one, but two, alley-oops away. 

10 hours ago, millerhusker said:

To my eye, there are only three guys on this team who appear to be good culture guys (good body language, constant effort , unselfish, etc) - Thor, Trey and Yvan. We only had three last year (traded Cheatham for Trey).   If we're talking x's and o's, I think Hoiberg can coach circles around our previous three coaches. But I thought those three coaches implemented a solid culture early and sustained it during their time. 

A couple of things here

1.  When people are going to bat for Thor and Yvan, this is part of it.

2. Make me optimistic for Bryce to be cut from the same culture cloth as Trey.

11 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Hard to justify a game like that ladies and gents.  I can go player by player and point out their warts.  If I can do that, opposing scouts or coaches certainly can.

I get so very tired of having to wait for next year...again.

Someone please point out the light at the end of this seemingly endless tunnel; but of course, that light shan't be attached to a train like it was tonight. 

We’ve now flipped a roster twice. Next year will see even more. At some point we need to look at the coaches as well. Basketball can be turned around quickly. That’s my biggest complaint. But also my biggest hope

Edited by Jugular

29 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I get what you're saying but Roby was 6'8".  

Yeah, I probably didn't need to include the height reference. Plenty of 6'8" shot blockers out there. Point is, we're again one of the worst power conference teams in the country in opponent's block % and this is something Hoiberg emphasizes. Either need to figure out how to get players to play smarter or start recruiting kids who are more coachable. I do think Bryce and Wilhelm are a good start. 

This loss sucks for sure, but I've seen this before. In 1995 at Oklahoma St. we got drubbed 93-53. That team was not great by any means, but it did have Erick Strickland, Jaron Boone and Terrance Badgett who were all juniors, so enough talent that you would expect them to be at least competitive against an unranked OSU team. We weren't and sometimes games like this happen to good teams (not saying we are at present). We will see what kind of character this "team" has on Saturday against MSU. I have no doubt that all of these guys are competitors and want to win, but will they start doing the things necessary for the team to succeed. The snowball is picking up steam, can they stop it.

One other item that is similar between this year and the 94-95 season. During that 94-95 season, we had a future NBA player signed who ended up starting at point guard as a freshman the following season. Hopefully the 20-21 team will have a future NBA player starting for it as well.