uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 10 - @ Ohio State

uneblinstu

- Got an early 3 from Lat. Hopefully that means good things.

- OSU tried to back Yvan into the paint and he didn't budge. I really like what I'm seeing from him in B1G play. He shouldn't try to drive, though...

- Middle of the first half turned into a rec legue game. Lots of bad shooting on both sides.

- I have no answer to the scoring droughts...

- Several shots that felt like a 15 point attempt. Way too impatient on offense.

- This feels like a nice summation:

- McGowens doesn't stop playing. Gotta give him that, at least.

- Teddy can't stay out of foul trouble. Felt like they could hang a bit when he was on the floor, but he couldn't stay out there.

- I don't think Banton had a very good game. Made some really weird choices with the ball. Sloppy ball handling, too.

- Eduardo Andre was completely in over his head today.

- Stevenson looks completely hapless. Maybe it's just rust after such a long layoff...

This team's a mess. I don't know what else to day. That was about as bad of an effort as I've seen from NU in a long time.

Our 3 pt shooters hesitated to shoot. When they did shoot they missed. Our drivers didn't finish well at the rim.

We fell apart defensively. We're a running team that doesn't seem to want to push pace. We were in horrible foul trouble.

We were minus-10 on the boards. We turned it over a lot.

Other than that, it was a good performance.

I feel sorry for anyone who had to / chose to watch that entire game, myself included.

Edited by throwback

1 minute ago, throwback said:

Our 3 pt shooters hesitated to shoot. When they did shoot they missed. Our drivers didn't finish well at the rim.

We fell apart defensively. We're a running team that doesn't seem to want to push pace. We were in horrible foul trouble.

I feel sorry for anyone who had to watch that entire game, myself included.

I say kudos to anyone who stuck it out until the end.  I’ve never volunteered to put my kid to bed during a game... but I did tonight.  My wife about fell out of her chair.  Lol.

20 minutes ago, HB said:

Just a horrible team, as has been obvious for quite a while.  Players aren’t good, coaching is abysmal.  Not a lot of analysis required.  

We have talented players.  Just way too much players playing hero ball.  We also have a flight mentality instead of a fight mentality.   When adversity hits, we can't stop the snowball.  This game the snowball started with about 8 minutes to go in the 1st half.  The two previous games, the snowball started in the 2nd half.  

The Michigan game gave me some hope this team would show some fight when adversity hit.  We cut their lead to 6, I believe.   We just couldn't get over the hump.

Hard to justify a game like that ladies and gents.  I can go player by player and point out their warts.  If I can do that, opposing scouts or coaches certainly can.

I get so very tired of having to wait for next year...again.

Someone please point out the light at the end of this seemingly endless tunnel; but of course, that light shan't be attached to a train like it was tonight. 

Michigan St will get well playing this Husker squad.  Thor gets a lot of criticism but he is one of the few who tries to keep the ball moving and he cuts hard.  Why can’t the other players move the ball and themselves?  But does it matter?  We get an open look and clank iron.  

Defensively, we are slow recovering in our rotations. 

I know coaches have different styles, but I like the Jeff Van Gundy style of holding players accountable in-game. "The best motivator is the bench," he says.  We have players that keep making the same elementary mistakes without consequence. Maybe they're being held accountable in practice. I know Hoiberg is at least talking to them about it, because he talks to the media about it. 

As someone else on here pointed out, Jim Molinari used to say, "you are what you sub for."  If you want to clean up poor shot selection, take a guy out when they attempt a stupid shot. If you want Lat and Teddy to quit dribbling into two defenders and turning it over, pull them immediately after they do it. I can see the coaches get visibly upset when a player doesn't trust the offense and decides to be an isolationist before throwing up a wild shot or turning it over. Why not pull them out for awhile? Hoiberg says getting your shot blocked is the same thing as a turnover. We just got our shot blocked 5 times by a team that doesn't have a guy over 6'8". Pull a guy when they force something that results in a blocked shot. Same thing goes for missed block-outs, lazy closeouts, poor body language and lack of effort. I'm seeing all of these things. You have to build good culture somehow. It's not like our +/- is too much worse when our bench players are in the game. We have a lot of problems, but I still think wasted possessions are our biggest problem, which can be due to a lot of the things I mentioned above. Guys need to be held accountable for wasting possessions. You have to cherish every possession in college basketball.  Sorry for ranting. 

1 hour ago, throwback said:

I feel sorry for anyone who had to / chose to watch that entire game, myself included.

I headed out to the parking lot with 10 minutes left.  Have never done that before.  I really don't see what all the excitement is about. 

10 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Michigan St will get well playing this Husker squad.  Thor gets a lot of criticism but he is one of the few who tries to keep the ball moving and he cuts hard.  Why can’t the other players move the ball and themselves?  But does it matter?  We get an open look and clank iron.  

Defensively, we are slow recovering in our rotations. 

To my eye, there are only three guys on this team who appear to be good culture guys (good body language, constant effort , unselfish, etc) - Thor, Trey and Yvan. We only had three last year (traded Cheatham for Trey).   If we're talking x's and o's, I think Hoiberg can coach circles around our previous three coaches. But I thought those three coaches implemented a solid culture early and sustained it during their time.