Roby

royalfan

11 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I know, crazy, right?

they just picked up the 16th pick from Boston. They already had the fourth overall pick. I assume there’s some speculation that they’ll try to trade a combination of those pics to get the number one overall pick and grab cade Cunningham from Oklahoma State.

They actually have the 4th best odds…the lottery is on Tuesday. 

12 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I know, crazy, right?

they just picked up the 16th pick from Boston. They already had the fourth overall pick. I assume there’s some speculation that they’ll try to trade a combination of those pics to get the number one overall pick and grab cade Cunningham from Oklahoma State.

Yeah genius strategy for a small market team. I dont know alot about how the NBA salary cap works but imagine it would be hard to pay that many guys I'm sure they can continue to flip some of the talent theyll get for more picks if it comes to that. Either way great position for Isiah if he keeps it up he will get paid by someone. I dont have a favorite NBA team so just cheering for whatever situation gives him the most success. Hes one of my favorite all time huskers and want nothing but the best that's 1 guy who deserves it.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Roby not playing summer league... must be looking at a possible starting spot?

If we're being real here, I'm not sure if he would have started or played nearly as much had the Thunder been trying to win.  That being said, Roby isn't on the Summer League team as they plan on him being on the roster. Their summer league squad essentially consists of their 2021 draft picks plus other guys looking to make a squad. 

Coming into last week his contract for this year wasn't guaranteed. It is now as OKC seems to like his skillset/price point.  He has a team option for 2022-23.  He's proven himself as sort of a PF/C tweener and if he can get a little more consistency with that 3pt shot he's going to continue to stick in the league.

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

So . . . the guy starts.  He makes top ten highlight plays every now and then.  But we need to be “real”—instead of enjoying the unexpected success?  Ok.

That's an obtuse way to interpret me laying out what was going on with the Thunder last year for anyone who wasn't paying attention to their organization. They scratched a healthy Al Horford halfway through the season. Roby took advantage; I don't think it was a sure thing the Thunder were going to keep him on for this year.

With this year's roster it's likely that the newly acquired Derrick Favors is going to start at center and Darius Bazley will be at PF. Like I said before, the Thunder obviously like Roby's play enough to keep paying him so there is a good chance he's in the rotation and in the mix for starts. 

9 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

That's an obtuse way to interpret me laying out what was going on with the Thunder last year for anyone who wasn't paying attention to their organization. They scratched a healthy Al Horford halfway through the season. Roby took advantage; I don't think it was a sure thing the Thunder were going to keep him on for this year.

With this year's roster it's likely that the newly acquired Derrick Favors is going to start at center and Darius Bazley will be at PF. Like I said before, the Thunder obviously like Roby's play enough to keep paying him so there is a good chance he's in the rotation and in the mix for starts. 

They made an epic attempt at tanking. Traded away CP3, Galinari, Steven Adams and Schroder and put a fully healthy Horford in street clothes all in hopes of being able to draft Cade Cunningham. They increased playing time for all the younger players and used the season as sort of a "tryout" to see who'd be worthy of a roster spot going forward. But it did feel like they inserted Roby for Horford with the thought that it would increase their chances of getting the #1 pick. I think Roby and Pokusevski surprised the front office with their play. I'm hoping they give those two guys a real shot at taking Bazley's spot at the 4. Bazley is long and athletic, but he's wildly inefficient and just doesn't have the same feel for the game as the other two. 

It's awesome to have a Husker in the league again, and I think we'll have a couple more soon. 

10 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I don't think Favors plays into OKC's long-term plans.  The Jazz needed cap space to resign Mike Conley, and cap space is something OKC has in spades. That was the sole reason the Favors trade happened.  I fully expect Favors to be traded again mid-season to a challenging team that needs a backup big man.  He will play for OKC enough to show he still has trade value, but not so much as to stunt the young players' development. Also, Favors hasn't averaged over 30 mpg since '15-'16.  So even if Favors starts next to Bazley, there's a good chance that Roby gets more minutes than Favors.

Edited by aphilso1

13 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Imagine if Ed Chang had Serge's size, Roby's work ethic, and Banton's ball handling skills? 

I wouldn’t want him to have Banton’s ball handling skills.  Passing ability yes…never liked his handles.  Waaaay prefer Glynn’s handles as a PG.  

5 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

love this kid, great person on and off the court.  I even watch the NBA to watch him play.  Still looks like he is 12 years old.

This... I hate the NBA, but I’ve watched more NBA games and highlights in the past year than I have the rest of my life.  Now with Delano... it looks like I’ll have to watch even more.