Roby

royalfan

The NBA has so few actual centers that it almost feels weird to see back-to-the-basket, slow-mo basketball when it occurs. Isaiah Roby can definitely play C in the 2020's version of the NBA as long as he sets good screens via pick-and-roll or pick-and-pop as well as he does well to box out and rebound the basketball. It's a pretty good fit for him with OKC, I think.

4 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Roby had 10 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, and 4 steals against Denver. Not too shabby for a young guy against 1 of the best in the game at the center position.

I'm sold now that he belongs in the league. He's improving, clearly willing to put in the work to be better, and is obviously talented enough to be there. We have a really nice ambassador for the program in the NBA for the first time in a long time. That's a source of joy for this fan. 

4 hours ago, tcp said:

I'm sold now that he belongs in the league. He's improving, clearly willing to put in the work to be better, and is obviously talented enough to be there. We have a really nice ambassador for the program in the NBA for the first time in a long time. That's a source of joy for this fan. 

Yeah, but does *he* know how good he is?

I've been extremely impressed with Roby in the league this year. He's had to play some 5 at times with bazley next to him while horford has been out. He's showing he belongs there, and I wouldn't have thought he would be showing this 2 years in. 

He has a good situation in OKC where he is being given minutes. I wonder if he's in their long term plans because they drafted Poku from overseas and have bazley who they seem committed to developing also. Roby works as a 5 against certain teams, but it's not something I think he should be doing a lot in the league. I wonder if they use him as trade bait to either move up in the draft next year (assuming they don't get #1) or to get more assets. 

Overall, I'm loving this though. I honestly didn't expect this two years in. 

8 hours ago, thrasher31 said:

I've been extremely impressed with Roby in the league this year. He's had to play some 5 at times with bazley next to him while horford has been out. He's showing he belongs there, and I wouldn't have thought he would be showing this 2 years in. 

He has a good situation in OKC where he is being given minutes. I wonder if he's in their long term plans because they drafted Poku from overseas and have bazley who they seem committed to developing also. Roby works as a 5 against certain teams, but it's not something I think he should be doing a lot in the league. I wonder if they use him as trade bait to either move up in the draft next year (assuming they don't get #1) or to get more assets. 

Overall, I'm loving this though. I honestly didn't expect this two years in. 

When OKC signed Al Horford, I thought they were going to make him the offensive feature in hopes of increasing his trade value.  The guy is approaching 35 years old, makes a team-high $27.5MM this season, and has $69MM/3 years guaranteed remaining.  Over the past few years, he's tried to add a 3-point shot to his arsenal with limited success.  But this year, his quickness has slowed so much that OKC is forced to use him in a floor-spacing role.  Which means all he does is set screens and pop-out for catch-and-shoot jumpers which he just so happens to be horrible at.

Defensively, he's limited to being more of a rim-defender as the lack of quickness prohibits him from effectively closing-out and defending the perimeter.  Maybe this improves a little when he rejoins the team and gets into some sort of playing shape, but seems unlikely.

Couple the abhorrent performance on the court with him taking what's become a two-week sabbatical to witness the birth of his fourth child, this is exactly the type of "veteran leadership" you do not want in the youngest locker room in the league.

tl;dr

The Thunder need to move on from Horford and give Roby the ball and the bag 💰

22 minutes ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

When OKC signed Al Horford, I thought they were going to make him the offensive feature in hopes of increasing his trade value.  The guy is approaching 35 years old, makes a team-high $27.5MM this season, and has $69MM/3 years guaranteed remaining.  Over the past few years, he's tried to add a 3-point shot to his arsenal with limited success.  But this year, his quickness has slowed so much that OKC is forced to use him in a floor-spacing role.  Which means all he does is set screens and pop-out for catch-and-shoot jumpers which he just so happens to be horrible at.

Defensively, he's limited to being more of a rim-defender as the lack of quickness prohibits him from effectively closing-out and defending the perimeter.  Maybe this improves a little when he rejoins the team and gets into some sort of playing shape, but seems unlikely.

Couple the abhorrent performance on the court with him taking what's become a two-week sabbatical to witness the birth of his fourth child, this is exactly the type of "veteran leadership" you do not want in the youngest locker room in the league.

tl;dr

The Thunder need to move on from Horford and give Roby the ball and the bag 💰

Philly wisely moved on from the "Al Horford experience."

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Horford comes back and Roby gets relegated to bench.  Has seen a whopping 2 minutes tonight.

given that contract, they're going to give big Al every inch of rope they can to succeed. I think Zay's safe in the NBA for awhile at some level. He's played too well for a bench piece to get relegated to the G-league or whatever it's called these days. 

18 hours ago, tcp said:

given that contract, they're going to give big Al every inch of rope they can to succeed. I think Zay's safe in the NBA for awhile at some level. He's played too well for a bench piece to get relegated to the G-league or whatever it's called these days. 

And Horford had a heck of a game.  It’s just frustrating because Roby IS out NBA player.

Now that Husker games might be firing back up we're gonna have to switch back to Husker Hoops Central from Roby Hoops Central. 

I will say now that I've switched providers and Fox Sports is lower on the tier I do switch on a Thunder game to see if Roby is playing. I'm a lazy tv watcher. If its not on one of the handful of channels I memorized or next to it on the guide I'm probably not gonna see it.