NEB vs Michigan film breakdown

MichHusker

I really had no idea what I wanted to focus on since there wasn't really a huge run to kill us this game, but after looking at the advanced stats Michigan I am going to look at some of the pick roll (PNR) possessions in the second half that UM got a shot off of. I was going to do all fourteen, but after doing two I realized I didn't want to write a PNR defense novel. Instead, here are some that really stuck out to me...

34-36) First possession of the second half. Top of key PNR for Wagner and we go under with drop coverage (Drop coverage is where the big stays at rim or free throw line and encourages a ballhandler to shoot a mid range jumper. Also allows a big to recover on a roller easier). Wagner drives down the right lane and shoots a two foot running hook over Yvan for two points.  Lots of issues I see here. For one, if you go under (Allen), you can't get beat to the rim. You have to take the angle to cut off the driver. Teddy never got better than hip to hip. Second, Yvan's needed to help to the point that Teddy COULD get back in front. While Wagner was driving just outside the lane line, Yvan was always inside the lane line. If Yvan chests up for a split second that could be just enough to help Teddy. Finally, Lat is guarding Isaiah Livers in the corner. Livers is shooting over 40% from three on the season so you cannot leave him, but Lat absolutely has to stunt at the ball. In other words, fake as if he's going to fully step in front of the drive (jab step and show the inside hand) and recover back to shooter. This constricts driving lanes and makes ballhandlers pull back or pass the ball out.

image.png

41-50) Simple single side (one player in ball-side corner wing PNR. Livers sets and slips the screen on Brooks with Wagner in the corner. Some teams may want to help from the weakside where there are more defenders, however most will help from the strong side. Trey (guarding 6'7" Livers) and Thor (guarding 6'1" Brooks) should have switched instead of hedged, but since they didn't and no contact was made on the screen then Trey needs to recover quickly back to his guy. He's slow recovering and Teddy gets stuck on the roller (Livers) too long and Brooks finds Wagner lifting out of the corner for an open and uncontested three. Teddy should have left the post on the flight of the ball and been in good guarding position to contest Wagner on the three.

image.png

Edited by MichHusker

44-53) Three ball screens, three different coverages. This time we ICE it. Basically, we don't allow the ballhandler to use the PNR. Trey, guarding Livers, jumps toward the middle of the floor and sends Livers toward the baseline while in this case Andre should cover the ball-side elbow (different ways to do it.) With Teddy guarding Wagner in the corner, there should be a perfect funnel to send Livers to Andre and force a pass. Problem is Thor, who was covering Mike Smith in the opposite corner, come all the way over to the ball-side block forcing Banton is drop and guard two. By the time Brooks catches on the opposite wing the closest player is Banton basically at the block and moving away from the ball. Missed three, but you can't get more open. We didn't deserve a stop. I do want to point out though that Eduardo and Trey defended well.

image.png

44-53) Empty side (nobody in the corner) PNR for Smith meaning that there are three guys at the three point line all below the free throw line for UM. I won't pretend to know every aspect of Doc's defense, but usually whoever is guarding the closest guy on the opposite side of the floor In this case Teddy) will stand on the nail (middle of FT line) and stop penetration by defending the gap.  I will assume that Banton, who is guarding the lowest of three guys, is helping off so much to protect the lob since there is nobody else ball side. That leave Thor basically guarding all three for a split second which isn't too bad since all the UM guys could hold hands with their spacing. Teddy is not defending the gap forcing Thor to step in front which allows an easy kick out three for Livers which he drills. Eduardo probably could have stayed a bit longer and strung out the ballhandler a bit too.

image.png

There are more but talking PNR D takes a lot out of me. A few thoughts...

1. There isn't nothing more frustrating as a coach then when practice doesn't carry over to games, whether it's execution or shooting. Watching Coach Hoiberg on the sideline, it seems he's going through it. When he says guys can shoot, I believe it. I believe Thor and Lat will get hot at some point. I just hope it's sooner rather than later

2. One thing I notice re-watching some film is that if we make one less mistake defensively per possession, we'd be very good. It's easy looking tough and disruptive vs teams we easily overmatch, but in the BIG 10 we have to be much more sound with position D. 

3. The pieces are here to continue to be competitive. While the pieces to contend may not be here till next year, We have enough to be an SOB to play against every day. Starts with defense. Most guys get more pissed off when they miss three straight shots than when they get scored on three straight times. We frustrate teams with our D, shots will get easier.

3 hours ago, MichHusker said:

Teddy is not defending the gap forcing Thor to step in front which allows an easy kick out three for Livers which he drills. Eduardo probably could have stayed a bit longer and strung out the ballhandler a bit too.

image.png

The little things. Teddy is standing straight legged, hands down and has his body turned towards the ball. Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt and say his job wasn’t to step over there, but if he’s in a stance and has his hands up maybe he deflects that kickout. These things can be the difference between winning and losing.