NEB-Wisconsin film breakdown

MichHusker

9 hours ago, MichHusker said:

A lot of ways to go with this one, but I decided to highlight the 16-0 run Wisconsin went on in 5 minutes to really win the game. Possession by possession breakdown and then full thoughts. Here we go...

33-32) Potter duck-in on Yvan after PNR (2 points)

33-34) Banton blows right by Wahl for a weakly contested layup. Miss. Yvan O-rebound, miss

33-34) Potter easy post touch and squares up Yvan. Thor doesn’t wall off Potter, Yvan falls for shot fake, and Potter steps thru for easy layup (2 points)

33-36) Good action gets Banton downhill with left hand. Banton is thinking weakside kick for 3, Thor is thinking back door cut. Thor has to back petal about 3 steps to catch and shoot a three. Miss. Open look

33-36) Top of key empty side pick and roll. Yvan plays back so Trice shoots elbow jumper. Miss. I assume McGowans was supposed to rear-view contest the shooter and he didn’t.

33-36) Not the greatest possession. After early pick and roll and hitting McGowans on backside shake, he stagnates the offense by just holding the ball. Ball swings to Banton and then to Allen in the corner for a contested 3. Miss

33-36) If you are going to load the paint to stop Potter you better be quick on closeouts. Banton is guarding player on opposite wing while siting in the middle of the paint. Doesn’t really move until his man has the ball. Lightly contested 3 that toilet-bowls its way in. (3 points)

33-39) Things start unraveling. Good action to get Allen downhill with his right hand, and good jump stop. Should have kicked it out, and also shouldn’t have been an offensive foul

33-39) Simple middle pick and roll with a replace here. Mayen is guarding Potter and is good initially, but loses focus and gets stuck on Potter’s backside on a good duck-in. Basket and foul (3 points)

33-42) While I don’t know all we are taught to do on offense, I can bet it isn’t to whiff on screens every time. A GOOD screen the screener action to get lakes a look but he hits no one so he doesn’t get open. A lot of cuts, a lot of slip pops, and ends with a late clock missed three from Banton off a slip-pop from Mayen.

33-42) Post feed to Potter and a double from Lat and Thor in our zone off the BLOB. The beauty of no crowd noise takes affect as you can clearly hear Wisconsin coaches tell Micah to “turn”, where he then proceeds to split the trap with a dribble and find a wide-open Davison for 3. Intensity on the trap left much to be desired. Potter cannot split like that so easily. (3 points)

33-45) Stagger action gets the ball to Webster. Pick and pop leads to missed high school 3.

33-45) Good closeouts and good rotation by Lat forces tough missed layup by Johnathan Davis.

33-45) Great push and great drive by Banton to get to middle of the lane. Kickout and WIDE OPEN air ball three from Webster

33-45) Mid post touch for Potter and literally the entire Nebraska team is within two steps of him. As soon as potter catches he turns and finds Anderson on the opposite wing who makes the “one more” pass to Davison at top of the key for uncontested made 3. Rotations were slow (3 points)

33-48) Good action and movement leads to wing PNR for Thor, who gets downhill with his left hand and draws a foul (1 point)

1. How much does the game change if Banton hits that easy layup to go back up 35-34 or if Thor hits that early three. We had quite a few good looks throughout the Wisconsin run and just couldn't take advantage.

2. When things got tough offensively, stagnation and poor execution were at fault. Doing the little things like being in the right spot or making a guy change his course on a screen are things we struggled at.

3. We moved too slowly defensively. All five guys have to play with their hair on fire if you trap the post, and they started getting way to many easy kick out threes in this run

4. Don't know if Allen's offensive foul really killed the team or his reaction, but we were only down six at the time. In the future I wonder if Coach Hoiberg will use an early timeout to quell any potential runs by an opposing team

5. Really probably should have been maybe a 44-40 Wisconsin lead after all this if we make the shots we should easily make (layups, open 3's). We are closer than people think and the film shows it, however these guys need a couple wins in a pretty bad way. Lets hope we get it tomorrow.

Good post! I said in the game thread that the missed back-to-back bunnies might be the tipping point and I truly believe it was.  It's completely different if we hit our layup to go back on top.  

13 hours ago, MichHusker said:

A lot of ways to go with this one, but I decided to highlight the 16-0 run Wisconsin went on in 5 minutes to really win the game. Possession by possession breakdown and then full thoughts. Here we go...

33-32) Potter duck-in on Yvan after PNR (2 points)

33-34) Banton blows right by Wahl for a weakly contested layup. Miss. Yvan O-rebound, miss

33-34) Potter easy post touch and squares up Yvan. Thor doesn’t wall off Potter, Yvan falls for shot fake, and Potter steps thru for easy layup (2 points)

33-36) Good action gets Banton downhill with left hand. Banton is thinking weakside kick for 3, Thor is thinking back door cut. Thor has to back petal about 3 steps to catch and shoot a three. Miss. Open look

33-36) Top of key empty side pick and roll. Yvan plays back so Trice shoots elbow jumper. Miss. I assume McGowans was supposed to rear-view contest the shooter and he didn’t.

33-36) Not the greatest possession. After early pick and roll and hitting McGowans on backside shake, he stagnates the offense by just holding the ball. Ball swings to Banton and then to Allen in the corner for a contested 3. Miss

33-36) If you are going to load the paint to stop Potter you better be quick on closeouts. Banton is guarding player on opposite wing while siting in the middle of the paint. Doesn’t really move until his man has the ball. Lightly contested 3 that toilet-bowls its way in. (3 points)

33-39) Things start unraveling. Good action to get Allen downhill with his right hand, and good jump stop. Should have kicked it out, and also shouldn’t have been an offensive foul

33-39) Simple middle pick and roll with a replace here. Mayen is guarding Potter and is good initially, but loses focus and gets stuck on Potter’s backside on a good duck-in. Basket and foul (3 points)

33-42) While I don’t know all we are taught to do on offense, I can bet it isn’t to whiff on screens every time. A GOOD screen the screener action to get lakes a look but he hits no one so he doesn’t get open. A lot of cuts, a lot of slip pops, and ends with a late clock missed three from Banton off a slip-pop from Mayen.

33-42) Post feed to Potter and a double from Lat and Thor in our zone off the BLOB. The beauty of no crowd noise takes affect as you can clearly hear Wisconsin coaches tell Micah to “turn”, where he then proceeds to split the trap with a dribble and find a wide-open Davison for 3. Intensity on the trap left much to be desired. Potter cannot split like that so easily. (3 points)

33-45) Stagger action gets the ball to Webster. Pick and pop leads to missed high school 3.

33-45) Good closeouts and good rotation by Lat forces tough missed layup by Johnathan Davis.

33-45) Great push and great drive by Banton to get to middle of the lane. Kickout and WIDE OPEN air ball three from Webster

33-45) Mid post touch for Potter and literally the entire Nebraska team is within two steps of him. As soon as potter catches he turns and finds Anderson on the opposite wing who makes the “one more” pass to Davison at top of the key for uncontested made 3. Rotations were slow (3 points)

33-48) Good action and movement leads to wing PNR for Thor, who gets downhill with his left hand and draws a foul (1 point)

1. How much does the game change if Banton hits that easy layup to go back up 35-34 or if Thor hits that early three. We had quite a few good looks throughout the Wisconsin run and just couldn't take advantage.

2. When things got tough offensively, stagnation and poor execution were at fault. Doing the little things like being in the right spot or making a guy change his course on a screen are things we struggled at.

3. We moved too slowly defensively. All five guys have to play with their hair on fire if you trap the post, and they started getting way to many easy kick out threes in this run

4. Don't know if Allen's offensive foul really killed the team or his reaction, but we were only down six at the time. In the future I wonder if Coach Hoiberg will use an early timeout to quell any potential runs by an opposing team

5. Really probably should have been maybe a 44-40 Wisconsin lead after all this if we make the shots we should easily make (layups, open 3's). We are closer than people think and the film shows it, however these guys need a couple wins in a pretty bad way. Lets hope we get it tomorrow.

Thank you for the possession-by-possession breakdown. Definitely more than a few missed opportunities.

14 hours ago, MichHusker said:

Nebraska sets a lot of "ghost screens" where the screener moves as if he's going to set the screen but then slips it instead. It's supposed to create confusion for the defense - should they switch/hedge/etc. or not? - to either create a driving lane for the ball-handler or get the screener free on the pop. Hoiberg did say somewhat recently that they need to start setting more solid screens instead of going for the slip every time, though. I'm not sure what the call or read is to determine a ghost versus a solid screen.

13 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Nebraska sets a lot of "ghost screens" where the screener moves as if he's going to set the screen but then slips it instead. It's supposed to create confusion for the defense - should they switch/hedge/etc. or not? - to either create a driving lane for the ball-handler or get the screener free on the pop. Hoiberg did say somewhat recently that they need to start setting more solid screens instead of going for the slip every time, though. I'm not sure what the call or read is to determine a ghost versus a solid screen.

I’ve noticed we also pass up a fair share of shots off the ghost screen pop.  We’ll dribble sometimes, but the pop man never really goes anywhere with it.  Whether it’s lack of confidence or whether they don’t feel like they have time to get a shot off— I don’t know.  But if we’re not going to do something on those pops, we should set an actual screen as mentioned.

19 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I was just coming on here to comment on this. The ghost screening crap has trickled down from the nba. It works for like one team (whoever Mike D’Antoni is coaching). It’s one of those things, like playing a full-switching defense that looks beautiful, but only if you already know how to do everything before that. You’re skipping learning/developmental steps if you go to this type of stuff in college, before you’ve learned how to do the other thing well. 

As an example - the best team I ever coach defensively (statistically, look, record wise), we switched almost everything on ball and tons of stuff on the backside. Fought through/chased all stuff where it looked like a guy was coming through a screen to score. Looked great and worked really well. BUT, the only reason we were able to do that kind of “advanced,” stuff, was because we spent the last 2 years beating basic man-to-man, no switching principals in first. 

You can’t skip steps. Screening is the first step you must master before you can get fancy. 

Edited by basketballjones

5 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I was just coming on here to comment on this. The ghost screening crap has trickled down from the nba. It works for like one team (whoever Mike D’Antoni is coaching). It’s one of those things, like playing a full-switching defense that looks beautiful, but only if you already know how to do everything before that. You’re skipping learning/developmental steps if you go to this type of stuff in college, before you’ve learned how to do the other thing well. 

As an example - the best team I ever coach defensively (statistically, look, record wise), we switched almost everything on ball and tons of stuff on the backside. Fought through/chased all stuff where it looked like a guy was coming through a screen to score. Looked great and worked really well. BUT, the only reason we were able to do that kind of “advanced,” stuff, was because we spent the last 2 years beating basic man-to-man, no switching principals in first. 

You can’t skip steps. Screening is the first step you must master before you can get fancy. 

Idk if I would call slipping a screen “fancy.” Maybe that’s not what we are talking about with ghost screen. The motion offense bible written by Pete Newell and Bobby Knight talks about there being 4 and only 4 things you can do off of a screen and which one of the four you do will be determined by the read you get from the defense. 

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

Idk if I would call slipping a screen “fancy.” Maybe that’s not what we are talking about with ghost screen. The motion offense bible written by Pete Newell and Bobby Knight talks about there being 4 and only 4 things you can do off of a screen and which one of the four you do will be determined by the read you get from the defense. 

Slipping screens isn’t fancy. Slipping every single screen and not actually setting it, which is what these ghost screening teams are, is “fancy.”