Purdue, 1 PM CST

Fastbreaker

Izzy is getting better and better. Seems to have slowed down a bit and just play the game. Would take 14 more of her. Real close to the best player on the floor.

We're so short on talent (and defense) ...let alone short of players..   But our kids on the floor haven't given up. Kuddos to them

10 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Izzy is getting better and better. Seems to have slowed down a bit and just play the game. Would take 14 more of her. Real close to the best player on the floor.

We're so short on talent (and defense) ...let alone short of players..   But our kids on the floor haven't given up. Kuddos to them

Cravens is another.  Really like her hustle, especially her 'help' defense.  She and Izzy complement each other very well. 

Edited by 12dozen
typo

7 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Grit; No Quit Husker Ladies!!!

I think they are playing good defense.   Purdue hasn't been able to extend their lead much more than 10 pts. since the half. 

Edited by Red Don

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

Note that her counterpart had 17 boards.  Kate did a few good things but she is limited.

Cravens had 10 rebounds, Brown at 5-7 has 1 in  a few min playing time, Scoggin's played much much better, and had 3 rebounds. One post player got blocked out pretty much all the time. 

Cravens and Izzy are beginning to play together more.  Nice assist to down low to Izzy....great hands by Izzy. Lots of players played lots of min. Was Ok today. Let them rest as much as possible. 

Actually I was kind of impressed today (in spite of the obvious problems) of how we responded and the girls played hard to the finish. Didn't seem desperate, just tried to overcome. 

Something else that I don't understand.  I ripped on it last year and it showed up again today. I refer to our inability (or lack of intent) to execute a play when we get possession of the ball at the end of a quarter with no time left on the shot clock.  Seems like every other team I watch handles the ball protectively until attempting to get off a shot with about 5 seconds remaining in the quarter.  That way (I am playing Mr. Obvious here) the team possessing the ball either makes the shot or has one, maybe two, attempts at a put back or draws a foul while leaving its opponent with very little chance to get to the other side of the court to attempt a shot.  Just about all teams do this .... but not ours.

Over and over and over again last season, the Huskers would get such a ball possession and then either commit a turnover or shoot and miss early (thus giving the opponent a chance to score) or not get a shot off.  This happened today at the end of the first quarter.  Huskers took the shot with time remaining, missed it, Purdue got the rebound, advanced the ball, got a shot off in which the shooter was fouled and made a free throw.  The result was that Purdue got a point and the Huskers got a foul on a possession that should never have happened.  I think Huskers similarly failed to execute in the same situation at the end of the third quarter, but that time no damage was done.  

Seems like a simple thing to design, practice, and execute.  I just don't get it. 

Edited by Tom Jones
i spelled it "Perdue" SMH

Kate having only one board is not all her fault. She was up against more athletic centers and she often was not in a great position to get boards. That in part is due to how we use her. She is not fleet of foot to start with. I think she would have much better numbers if she was used in a more traditional way for being a center. That goes back to knowing what you have and getting them in a position to be successful.