uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 8 - @ Wisconsin

uneblinstu

41 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Two starters, Lat and Thor, are a combined 12 for 48 from beyond the arc since the first game. They were a combined 1-11 tonight and 1-18 over the last two games.

You just can't have that. That's a black hole in the middle of your starting lineup. At spots where this offense needs shooters.

Yvan started tonight and looked a lot better than he has previously, but he still has a deficit of offensive skills, which you saw on that missed point-blank putback attempt off the Dalano Banton miss.

Trey McGowens does a lot of good things but he's not a great shooter and, while he makes it to the line a lot, he's hitting less than 60% from the charity stripe.

Banton is a great facilitator and is generally good at slashing to the basket off the bounce. Tonight, he was good from beyond the arc, but he generally is no better than mediocre from deep.

And, while Teddy Allen leaves you scratching your head at some of the shots he makes, he also leaving you scratching your head at some of the shots he misses.

If anyone wonders why we suck, that's why. You have a starting lineup that averages about 30% from 3-point range in an offense that is oriented around the 3. And the most potent offensive weapon, Allen, has a game built for hero ball in an offense not built for hero ball.

Agreed on all points. 

Teddy's usage rate is higher than Luka Garza's is for Iowa. And he's obviously much less efficient than Garza. Nobody on Wisconsin's team has a usage rate anywhere near Teddy's. For an NBA comparison, his usage rate is greater than Damian Lillard's (a lead guard who had to carry his team) was last year for the Blazers. This isn't ideal for Hoiberg's offense.

How about this? When Wisconsin comes to Lincoln, steal their uniforms. Then offer to let them wear our home uniforms that say "Nebraska" on them, while we wear the uniforms we told them were stolen.

We'll get all the calls for once, and we'll make all our free throws and a higher percentage of field goals.

It's that simple.

better effort than I expected. pieces don't quite fit yet. and this Badger team is a good team. 

i'm optimistic for the next season or two. just gotta get this bunch to mesh into a better whole, but I could easily see Doc's defensive training starting to take and now it's just a matter of getting the right shooting parts to work a bit better. 

I do predict that at some point this season, Teddy takes a swing at someone in the conference. Teams are going to go after what's between his ears. 

1 hour ago, jayschool said:

How about this? When Wisconsin comes to Lincoln, steal their uniforms. Then offer to let them wear our home uniforms that say "Nebraska" on them, while we wear the uniforms we told them were stolen.

We'll get all the calls for once, and we'll make all our free throws and a higher percentage of field goals.

It's that simple.

Knowing our luck, this would the game where our players turned it on and “Wisconsin” would still roll.

We just really don’t have shooters. Why they let Shamiel even shoot a 3 is beyond me. If I’m betting on a scholarship opening, it’s his. He’s not good. He needs to carve out a role as a defender but doesn’t appear to want to do that. Unless Lat is hitting 3’s, he doesn’t provide much. I think getting Walker back will help Lat.

After sitting in on Hoiberg’s zoom chat, I was really hoping for a lot more from this team shooting-wise. I’m sure it can improve, but we’ve seen a pretty good sample now.

I think Teddy needs to slow down on his FT's, develop a set routine would help him.    Coaches should help him out with the refs too.   There's a clear pattern on how refs call games at certain B1G venues IMHO.   He should be aware of that and adjust.    FT % for this team is frustrating.

I saw the body language with Shamiel that people have mentioned.   I think he's frustrated with playing time and that he hasn't had much success so he is forcing things.  I agree he's more of a paint guy.  I still think he has value depending upon matchups.  If we were to have a transfer I wouldn't be surprised that it wouldn't be Shamiel.   I agree that Lakes may be the guy that gets more time.

Andre may not have played because his perimeter defense may not be good?   I  think he will get time against Mich's center as his length matches up better.  I imagine Yvan will get in foul trouble against a taller center.  

I think our guys are rushing the 3's a bit.   We are shooting like crap.

I thought the defense was good the first half.  

I think Doc's defense will play well against Michigan.   We shall see.  

I actually think we are close.  We had the looks.   I think getting the high% shooting recruits into the lineup next year will be the difference.   Got to keep grinding this year though.   Got to stay with it. 

Edited by REDitus

2 hours ago, Jugular said:

We just really don’t have shooters. Why they let Shamiel even shoot a 3 is beyond me. If I’m betting on a scholarship opening, it’s his. He’s not good. He needs to carve out a role as a defender but doesn’t appear to want to do that. Unless Lat is hitting 3’s, he doesn’t provide much. I think getting Walker back will help Lat.

After sitting in on Hoiberg’s zoom chat, I was really hoping for a lot more from this team shooting-wise. I’m sure it can improve, but we’ve seen a pretty good sample now.

Really? Why? I looked at the roster going into this year and looked at their historical 3-point shooting numbers and thought, "here we go again."

I really don't think we'll have adequate shooters for this offense until next year.

I thought our defense and energy the first 10+ minutes was the best I've seen in quite some time. That being said, we have to hit shots. When you hold Wisconsin to 1 for 15 to start the game, you have to take advantage. Once Wisconsin started hitting shots, it seemed like our energy and intensity dropped. Got to finish at the basket and have to hit close to 70% of our free throws. 

Positives

Yvan played his best game of the season

Lat looked good driving to the basket

Edited by BjoeHusker

18 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Keep the faith.  
This team is new and still finding its way.

They have stretches of play that show great promise.  

I am in no way giving up on them and I'm doing my best to keep a level head this year. Yes, they are still lacking in some key areas but they are way better than a year ago. One of the great things about college basketball is that it truly can go either way on any given night. There is enough talent to get hot and upset 1 or 2 big name teams and I do believe it will happen. I want to be sure I see it when it does.

Edited by demone

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Really? Why? I looked at the roster going into this year and looked at their historical 3-point shooting numbers and thought, "here we go again."

I really don't think we'll have adequate shooters for this offense until next year.

Agree we don’t.  And Hoiberg doesn’t care.  He’s gonna run his offense.  The child fan in me has no patience for it, but the adult fan can see the big picture.  Outside of a sniper or two, we have all the pieces we need.  

I really really liked our defense last night.  

Just now, hhcmatt said:
3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

True. Nevertheless, he still appears to need to settle in because his routine isn't working as well as it did in Scottsbluff.

Maybe they don't have a regulation length FT line there or round up when keeping stats

It's clearly the elevation. Time to schedule some games out near the Rocky Mountains.

13 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Agreed on all points. 

Teddy's usage rate is higher than Luka Garza's is for Iowa. And he's obviously much less efficient than Garza. Nobody on Wisconsin's team has a usage rate anywhere near Teddy's. For an NBA comparison, his usage rate is greater than Damian Lillard's (a lead guard who had to carry his team) was last year for the Blazers. This isn't ideal for Hoiberg's offense.

I get and understand all this.

However, Teddy because of foul trouble played 25 minutes last night so we had 15 minutes of him not being on the court with the ability to share the ball. Part of this might be how Wisconsin defends but it felt like the offense was worse without Allen.  To me it's more about Teddy's lack of commitment at times to playing team defense than it is him taking away shots from teammates who are also not making shots if there is something we need to fix here.

Notes from UNL
*-Wisconsin leads the all-time series, 19-14 after tonight’s win.
*-NU is now 0-2 against ranked teams this season with both being top-10 teams
*-Nebraska used its second different starting lineup of the season, as Yvan Ouedraogo replaced Thorir Thorbjararson in the starting lineup. The Huskers used the same starting five in each of the first seven contests.
*-Dalano Banton (15) and Teddy Allen both reached double figures in all eight games this season.  Banton also led NU with eight rebounds and four assists
*-Nebraska had nine turnovers, the fifth time in eight games NU has had 10 or less turnovers. NU forced Wisconsin into 11 turnovers, well above its season average.
*-Nebraska held Wisconsin to 25 first-half points, NU’s best defensive first half of the season (26 vs. Doane). It is the fourth time in eight games NU has held an opponent under 30 first-half points.  It is the lowest first half by a Husker defense since holding Texas A&M-Corpus Christi to 21 first-half points on Dec. 29, 2019.
*-Nebraska led at the U-16 Media timeout for the sixth time in eight games.
*-Lat Mayen set a career high with three blocked shots, as his previous high was one on six occasions.
*-Nebraska has now lost 10 straight against ranked teams dating back to the 2018-19 season.

9 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

*-Nebraska held Wisconsin to 25 first-half points, NU’s best defensive first half of the season (26 vs. Doane). It is the fourth time in eight games NU has held an opponent under 30 first-half points.  It is the lowest first half by a Husker defense since holding Texas A&M-Corpus Christi to 21 first-half points on Dec. 29, 2019.
*-Nebraska led at the U-16 Media timeout for the sixth time in eight games.

What these two items say, against a talented and experienced team, is this: Doc is doing a great job on defensive planning and coaching. 

His plans work well for the fist half of a game--but then an opponent's talent and greater experience start to prevail over coaching as the game wears along.