Half court offense

TourneyBound

Prolly my only concern with Hoiberg is our half court offense..  Man it would be nice to get some easy buckets..!  Seems like our half court offense has really struggled, part of that comes from our lack of shooters.  It seemed like last year Hoiberg would drop up some nice plays but sure haven’t seen much of that this year.  Is this something that will get fixed with some shooters or what’s everyone’s thoughts?

16 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Prolly my only concern with Hoiberg is our half court offense..  Man it would be nice to get some easy buckets..!  Seems like our half court offense has really struggled, part of that comes from our lack of shooters.  It seemed like last year Hoiberg would drop up some nice plays but sure haven’t seen much of that this year.  Is this something that will get fixed with some shooters or what’s everyone’s thoughts?

Looks a lot like previous years Husker teams going back into other coaching eras.  Get open looks, can’t knock em down.  Get a lot of threes.  Nothing really going to the hoop.  Lots of passi mg around the perimeter.

1 hour ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I agree  We run a weave out front and get nothing or we have some players where the ball becomes a black hole. Thought we would have more imagination on offense.

This team will be much better the last half of the season.  Still probably won't make .500 because the b1g is brutal this year and fairly old in comparison.  We match up talent wise which is definitely a move in the right direction. 

And there's nothing to be ashamed of struggling against wisconsin at their gym even without crowds.

Truthfully i'd be ecstatic with 10 wins this year.  That's not saying anything bad about us just that our next 19 games are against teams with NET top 50 teams (technically Indiana is 56 right now but odds are they will be top 50 when we play) and we have a lot of new players this year.

Edited by kleitus

1 hour ago, kleitus said:

This team will be much better the last half of the season.  Still probably won't make .500 because the b1g is brutal this year and fairly old in comparison.  We match up talent wise which is definitely a move in the right direction. 

And there's nothing to be ashamed of struggling against wisconsin at their gym even without crowds.

Truthfully i'd be ecstatic with 10 wins this year.  That's not saying anything bad about us just that our next 19 games are against teams with NET top 50 teams (technically Indiana is 56 right now but odds are they will be top 50 when we play) and we have a lot of new players this year.

That's about our lid, probably. I'll never be ecstatic about a losing season, however. Yeah, maybe if we get there, I'll think we got about as many as the talent on this team could get, but I'll still be disappointed that that was about as many as the talent on this team could get.

20 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

That's about our lid, probably. I'll never be ecstatic about a losing season, however. Yeah, maybe if we get there, I'll think we got about as many as the talent on this team could get, but I'll still be disappointed that that was about as many as the talent on this team could get.

I probably should change that to... 'we got to 10 and made a run in the conference tournament'

Not that it changes much.  Getting to parity talentwise in this conference is only the first step.  we still need to win.

Edited by kleitus

14 hours ago, ConkintheCorner said:

If only we had a Conklin in the corner this year.  

I should find some YouTube games of Hoiberg's Iowa State teams, might make me feel better on what Hoiberg wants to see on offense.  I have re-watched UCF's bowl game win against Auburn to feel better about Frost's offense a few times in the last 3 season 😀.  It worked there, it can work here, right?

4 minutes ago, HB said:

Yeah, that was quite obvious.  I was pointing out something different.  In other news, the sun came up in the east today. 

The point is nothing is going to change until they can start making shots. It's not as simple as "pass the ball more." Until guys can actual make layups and hit open 3s at a reasonable rate, I don't really know what Hoiberg can do. Great ball movement didn't lead to any different results than guys going ISO last night. They can't generate any interior offense because there are three guys in the paint any time a Husker steps inside the arc with the ball. No matter what the coaches are saying or what the guys think going in, it's hard to trust in the system and your teammates when it doesn't work and they don't come through. This team is just in a bad place right now and the Ohio State game was the culmination of all their issues showing up early and often after a lot of competitive efforts, and it seemed to break them.

They've got a day to figure it out and find a way to prevent that game from starting a trend.