Badgers

formerlybis

3 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Thanks for making your way over. I've enjoyed both of my trips to Madison and have said multiple times to my buddies that if I didn't graduate from Nebraska, then Wisconsin would be the school I'd want to attend as an undergrad. 

Most of us have thick skin and can only laugh at the current state of our athletics program. But we know that at least in basketball things are trending upwards. My question is why in the world would a team like Wisconsin not make fun of us to no end at the moment? Not only did we think we were going to enter the conference and take it by storm in football initially, our current head coach doubled down on it when he was hired.

Meanwhile, we've beaten Bucky in football once out of nine times since 2011 (and 4-12 against them in bball since joining). That is downright hilariously bad. We're easy to make fun of because we have such a passionate fan base, yet we lose. Once we start winning meaningfully and consistently things will change. We're just waiting for that to happen haha. 

The bad times make the breakthrough sweeter. I know from experience. 

I have been to Car Henge. Does that get me any 'braska cred? Does anybody spend more than 10 minutes there?

I will take the conversation a slightly different route.  I believe Barry Alvarez is a tremendous AD.  I am proud that he cut his teeth at Nebraska.  It is my understanding that he patterned his football program after Nebraska's.  When a coach would leave, he picked a successor that embraced their history.  We had an AD that seemed to be embarrassed by our history and hired a coach that decided to dismantle our history...very, very sad.  We are still rebuilding from that mistake 20 years later.

Now basketball.   At Nebraska, basketball was overlooked by our athletic administration and many of our major boosters.   So we have never had the financial backing or lofty expectation to succeed.   That has changed over the past few years...so many of us expect progress...now!  Wisconsin on the other hand seems to have built a foundational program similar to their football program.   The coaching staff may change but the players, the way they play, et al doesn't seem to change.

2 hours ago, formerlybis said:

A sense of humor and thick skin are wonderful things...

It's too bad you don't appear to possess either of those attributes.

We can take solace I suppose in knowing that after tomorrow night you will slink back over to buckyville and make stupid jokes about Nebraska with your buddies over there and leave us alone...at least until the next time we have to play you guys and you will inevitably come back over here and start a thread hoping to get some of the more gullible among us to stroke your ego and tell you just how great and wonderful your sports programs are.

Congrats on yet again getting the emotional support and attention you apparently so desperately crave from Husker Hoops Central.

6 hours ago, formerlybis said:

Kaminsky, and it's not all that close. No swipe at Happ intended as he was great for what he was, but Frank was NPOY.

The second pair is harder, but you have to go Devin, who was clearly the more talented player. However, I had Jordan Taylor as my avatar for several years. 

As for Husker players that stood out, I don't remember many before you joined the league - Tyronn Lue, but no one else springs to mind. Petteway is the first guy I think of, though, and wasn't there a Shields with him? Also Ed Morrow because he ended up with Marquette. 

Sorry if my lack of knowledge about the Husker history is < your knowledge of Badgers'.

Let me help.

The man in my avatar is Jerry Fort, the Huskers' leading scorer from its mid-70s teams. Oh, if only the three-point line existed back in the day.

In the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, Nebraska often had teams that would, in today's 68-team NCAA Tournament, have won at least a game or two. Unfortunately, before 1975, the NCAA invited only conference champions to the dance, and we were in the same conference as f***ing Kansas. Between 1966 and 1987, we had only three losing conference seasons, but made the NCAA only in 1986, when the tournament expanded to 64 for the first time. We lost to Western Kentucky that year, the first of our seven first-round losses in the tournament. We've lost as a three seed and a six seed. We've lost as an 11 seed and a 10 seed. Name a seed between three and 11, and we've probably lost a tournament game as that seed.

In 2018, Nebraska finished 13-5, fourth place in the Big Ten Conference, 22-10 overall. We weren't anywhere near the bubble that year. We were given a No. 5 seed in the NIT and sent on the road to Starkpatch, Mississippi. We lost, of course. The most painful loss that year? A last-second, one-pointer at home to, yep, Kansas. F***ers. With that win, we're probably a mid-level NCAA seed. 

We did win the 1996 NIT, however; it was probably our crowning achievement as a program.

Needless to say, we're jealous of just about everybody. And just as you may despise the Jesuit school an hour to your east, we despise the Jesuit school an hour to our east. (Love the Jesuits, just not the basketball team.)

As you likely know, we're the only Power 5/6 program without a tournament win. So if you secretly cheered for Northwestern (NW, not NU) a few years ago in their first tournament game and win ever, we expect full-throated rooting when we're in the dance next year.

Besides Jerry Fort, Google these names:

• Stu Lantz
  • Nate Branch
  • Jack Moore
  • Dave Hoppen
  • Eric Piatkowski
  • Erick Strickland
  • Mikki Moore
  • Isaiah Roby
  • No-Sit Sunday

That ought to keep you busy til Tuesday night.

Be well, take care, and #GBR.

Edited by jayschool

1 hour ago, jdw said:

Apparently he likes the D.

Surprised Davison didn't flop backward after delivering the nut punch; if it was Big Ten refs, he'd have gotten the call. Can't wait till he's done playing in the B1G so I don't have to watch any more of his cheap shots and flopping, and the sooner the better.

We're 17.5 pt dogs tomorrow, by the way. Yay.

3 hours ago, 49r said:

It's too bad you don't appear to possess either of those attributes.

We can take solace I suppose in knowing that after tomorrow night you will slink back over to buckyville and make stupid jokes about Nebraska with your buddies over there and leave us alone...at least until the next time we have to play you guys and you will inevitably come back over here and start a thread hoping to get some of the more gullible among us to stroke your ego and tell you just how great and wonderful your sports programs are.

Congrats on yet again getting the emotional support and attention you apparently so desperately crave from Husker Hoops Central.

Cmon man, take a step back and look at our own board. If you’re gonna be calling out their board for collectively talking shit on programs you can look at every board out there including HHC. I have no problem that we bash on Creighton and Iowa and teams we rarely even play like Kansas any chance we get, that’s all part of the fun of being on a kool aid drinking message board.

2 minutes ago, nuhusker7 said:

Cmon man, take a step back and look at our own board. If you’re gonna be calling out their board for collectively talking shit on programs you can look at every board out there including HHC. I have no problem that we bash on Creighton and Iowa and teams we rarely even play like Kansas any chance we get, that’s all part of the fun of being on a kool aid drinking message board.

...you mean Creighton really isn't a bunch of elitist wannabes and Io_a actually has won something on some level... ever??... besides in wrestling I mean?

tenor.gif

9 hours ago, nuhusker7 said:

That's fine.

But just don't talk smack about a rival on your own message board, then go over to that rivals' board and expect to be welcomed with open arms.  It's just the way it works.

Badger fans...I hate you because you exist.

27 minutes ago, formerlybis said:

I have questions for you. What are your thoughts on:

Transfers vs recruits (no judgment-UW plays two transfers);

Teddy Allen's usage rate is high with a middling offensive rating;

Dalano Banton is the most complete player on the squad;

Pace is 28th fastest vs. UW 324th.

(note the use of semicolons)

First off, congratulations on your grasp of usage and mechanics, as well as the proper spelling of "Dalano." Your homework will be on the proper use of the em dash. (We have at least two too many English and journalism instructors on the board.)

The rest:

• Hoiberg's use of transfers was unique a decade ago when he built ISU into an instant contender. It's not now, so he's using transfers now as a way to build Nebraska into something that isn't a regional embarrassment. Last year, when we were a regional embarrassment, his transfer-heavy roster was compiled in literally two weeks, so there were a ton of misses. This year, the sit-out and instant transfers will make us more competitive, and though we're favored in exactly zero conference games, we should be able to steal more than a couple. He's obviously now more amenable to a balanced recruiting approach, witness the signing of five-star recruit Bryce McGowens and four-star Wilhelm Breidenbach for the 2021-22 season, though we also have a JC transfer as part of that top-rated — for Nebraska — group.
  • We thought we might have a few consistent scorers on the squad this year, but Trey McGowens has been inconsistent, leaving us with only Banton and Allen as guys we can count on to at least threaten double-figures every night, simply because of their ability to get to the basket. Kobe Webster's OR is higher than Allen's, but Allen is more likely to be able to get off a variety of shots, and we need Kobe off the bench. Yvan's OR is also higher than Allen's, but that's an anomaly based on a sterling game against an NAIA opponent. Lakes and Andre have played just one game, and that was also against said NAIA opponent, though we hope that their efficiency translates to something like mid-100s off the bench.
  • Yes, though his long ball needs a lot of work.
  • Slower teams have usually been able to keep us from running. We'll still chuck threes early in the shot clock, but I assume Wisconsin, with five seniors starting, will be able to dictate the tempo. We had a coach in the 1980s named Moe Iba, who was christened "Slow Moe" because of his deliberate style of play, so we know what slow ball is like, just without the championships.

Bottom line, this Nebraska team has played exactly one game together with the 10-man rotation you'll likely see tonight. Wisconsin has been working and succeeding together as a team for the last four years. If we come within 10, I'll consider it a major sign of progress. We also have a big man sitting out an NCAA penalty that he incurred while playing at Tennessee under Rick Barnes, who is still coaching. Meanwhile, Walker will be available Jan. 5, and we'll probably have a different rotation at that point. The next four games will determine how different. We're still feeling our way around the court.

GBR

Edited by jayschool

4 hours ago, formerlybis said:

I have questions for you. What are your thoughts on:

Transfers vs recruits (no judgment-UW plays two transfers);

Teddy Allen's usage rate is high with a middling offensive rating;

Dalano Banton is the most complete player on the squad;

Pace is 28th fastest vs. UW 324th.

(note the use of semicolons)

Dalano is one of the most unique players in all of college basketball. He’s 6’9” with a near 7’ wingspan and he’s our point guard. He’s not just a 6’9” guy playing primary ball handler... he’s a true PG with great feel, vision and passing ability. Very unselfish. He’ll have a chance to lead the B1G in assists, and he’ll lead us in rebounds and blocks. He has a likeable game. I’ve watched a few games with non-Husker fan friends this year and it only takes a few minutes before they all decide #45 is their favorite player on the court. 

I’ve expressed my concern regarding Teddy’s high volume - low efficiency play. Husker fans are used to this, since all of Tim Miles’ primary scorers were that type of player. That was my biggest gripe with Miles. His offense was not set up to get players good looks. He gave the ball to his best scorer and let them go. I believe Hoiberg wants his highest usage players to be efficient, versatile Swiss Army knife types, like Dalano, Royce White, Georges Niang, Deandre Kane.  But Teddy is gonna play the way Teddy plays. And some nights that’ll get us a win. But the points he generates for the team per possession is not good, considering his high usage rate. There’s a paradox with efficiency and usage rate numbers - when super-efficient scorers with great points per possession numbers lower their usage rate, their team gets more efficient and better overall even if the teammates aren’t as efficient as that star player. So, when a low efficiency player has the highest usage on the team, it never bodes well for team success. There’s a near perfect correlation (.97) between a team’s per-possession efficiency and wins. I believe this is why Wisconsin consistently appears to be “over-achieving”.  

Edited by millerhusker

13 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Dalano is one of the most unique players in all of college basketball. He’s 6’9” with a near 7’ wingspan and he’s our point guard. He’s not just a 6’9” guy playing primary ball handler... he’s a true PG with great feel, vision and passing ability. Very unselfish. He’ll have a chance to lead the B1G in assists, and he’ll lead us in rebounds and blocks. He has a likeable game. I’ve watched a few games with non-Husker fan friends this year and it only takes a few minutes before they all decide #45 is their favorite player on the court. 

I’ve expressed my concern regarding Teddy’s high volume - low efficiency play. Husker fans are used to this, since all of Tim Miles’ primary scorers were that type of player. That was my biggest gripe with Miles. His offense was not set up to get players good looks. He gave the ball to his best scorer and let them go. I believe Hoiberg wants his highest usage players to be efficient, versatile Swiss Army knife types, like Dalano, Royce White, Georges Niang, Deandre Kane.  But Teddy is gonna play the way Teddy plays. And some nights that’ll get us a win. But the points he generates for the team per possession is not good, considering his high usage rate. There’s a paradox with efficiency and usage rate numbers - when super-efficient scorers with great points per possession numbers lower their usage rate, their team gets more efficient and better overall even if the teammates aren’t as efficient as that star player. So, when a low efficacy player has the highest usage on the team, it never bodes well for team success. There’s a near perfection correlation (.97) between a team’s per-possession efficiency and wins. I believe this is why Wisconsin consistently appears to be “over-achieving”.  

Great information. Bo Ryan was an early adopter of using points per possession as the key metric, going back to his D3 days at UW-Platteville. 

How well do you think the squad - and particularly your guards - will be able to be patient? I'm of the belief that it's much easier to dictate a slow tempo than fast, and fast teams can sometimes get frustrated with that.

50 minutes ago, formerlybis said:

How well do you think the squad - and particularly your guards - will be able to be patient?

I think that’s our question also. Our team is still learning and I expect us to improve significantly as the season goes along. We’ve had a hard time staying disciplined for 40 minutes so far. When we get impatient and force things, we’re very turnover prone. When we run the offense and share the ball, we’ve looked pretty darn good. 

I’m sure we won’t be able to speed Wisconsin up whatsoever. So it’ll come down to limiting turnovers and simply hitting shots. Can’t waste possessions if you want to have a chance to beat a team like Wisconsin.

20 hours ago, formerlybis said:

Well, the opposite of love is indifference, not hate. I hate every B1G team to varying degrees except one whose colors are red and white and is situated in the state capitol named after a president. And is on a lakefront....

Also realize that people over 50 like me grew up with teams that sucked for decades, including our pro teams like the Packers. We appreciate where we are now. The people under about 40 have a different perspective.

I lived in Mpls for 25 years (Vikings) & was always amused by Packer fans who believed Bart Starr led seamlessly into Brett Favre. Cheers 🍻 here’s a Schmidtty Bigmouth to you!

I think we are going to be that team that you had better get us early.

We can stick around and are just deep enough that we can hang with teams.

I also feel that we will be that team this year that might make a deep run from a low seed in the league tournament.

Teams might beat us now, but if we don't get too down on ourselves we might make a run toward the end of the year that could help play longer than many think we will. 

NIT would be great. Heck we are 119 in RPI and dead last in the conference.  We have wanted to be that high before and not got there.

58 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

I’ve expressed my concern regarding Teddy’s high volume - low efficiency play. Husker fans are used to this, since all of Tim Miles’ primary scorers were that type of player. That was my biggest gripe with Miles. His offense was not set up to get players good looks. He gave the ball to his best scorer and let them go. I believe Hoiberg wants his highest usage players to be efficient, versatile Swiss Army knife types, like Dalano, Royce White, Georges Niang, Deandre Kane.  But Teddy is gonna play the way Teddy plays. And some nights that’ll get us a win. But the points he generates for the team per possession is not good, considering his high usage rate. There’s a paradox with efficiency and usage rate numbers - when super-efficient scorers with great points per possession numbers lower their usage rate, their team gets more efficient and better overall even if the teammates aren’t as efficient as that star player. So, when a low efficacy player has the highest usage on the team, it never bodes well for team success. There’s a near perfection correlation (.97) between a team’s per-possession efficiency and wins. I believe this is why Wisconsin consistently appears to be “over-achieving”.  

I would agree that Teddy is shooting too much. Is it me or is some of the problem that guys are passing up shots?