Banton NBA Draft Thread

thrasher31

21 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

He's just not very quick. Having other poor defenders around him doesn't help, but he'd have a problem moving his feet and defending in space no matter what team he was on.

He's slow. And to make matters worse, I think he's put on some bad weight. I take one look at his belly fat and see a taller, more athletic, slightly less handsome version of me some years ago and I think to myself, "Luka, careful, you're going to hit 350 and wonder where all the weight came from and I'll be there to tell you it was all those jamocha milkshakes from Arbys."

Banton is one of many on our team that can penetrate when we spread the floor.  But like last year, defenses can collapse because we don't do a good job spreading the floor and we don't have players who can consistently knock down open looks; including three pointers. 

For many years now (really since Danny left) we have recruited scorers not shooters.  We desperately, desperately need shooters to go along with the scorers.

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Banton is one of many on our team that can penetrate when we spread the floor.  But like last year, defenses can collapse because we don't do a good job spreading the floor and we don't have players who can consistently knock down open looks; including three pointers. 

For many years now (really since Danny left) we have recruited scorers not shooters.  We desperately, desperately need shooters to go along with the scorers.

We got 1 coming in next year from a JC

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I would say that is what Nee did as well as we had very few shooters during his tenure and the same can be said under Iba. That appears to be changing under Fred.

I just don't see Banton being draftable right now.  Yes, a tall, long PG is an intriguing prospect.  But right now he is a below average shooter and an average passer.  His lateral quickness is good for his size, but still not great.  He also doesn't seem to have that killer instinct.  With Teddy on the pine it was Banton's chance to step up and shine.  Instead, he was nearly invisible and Trey took over.

I think we see Banton wearing Scarlet and Cream for at least one more year.

Edited by aphilso1

10 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

At his peak Gasol was one of the best defensive players in the NBA. 

Dude read one line above this response.  I wasn’t being facetious.  Marc Gasol has had a fantastic career.  I think Garza will be better because he already has 3pt range.  He’s an excellent NBA prospect.  

On 1/8/2021 at 11:56 PM, LK1 said:

Dude read one line above this response.  I wasn’t being facetious.  Marc Gasol has had a fantastic career.  I think Garza will be better because he already has 3pt range.  He’s an excellent NBA prospect.  

And my point was I see no outcome where Garza comes anywhere close to Gasol on defense, and that's a huge part of who he he is as a player. I just don't see the comparison at all, and I'll be shocked if Garza comes anywhere close to having the kind of pro career Gasol has. 

10 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

And my point was I see no outcome where Garza comes anywhere close to Gasol on defense, and that's a huge part of who he he is as a player. I just don't see the comparison at all, and I'll be shocked if Garza comes anywhere close to having the kind of pro career Gasol has. 

Oh gotcha.  Understood.  I thought you were piggybacking off the one who thought I was being facetious.  

We shall see, but I think Garza will be a much more polished rookie offensively than Gasol was.  I think Garza's PnR defense has improved quite a bit, but he's not on the same planet at Gasol there.  I was thinking more in terms of offensive mobility.  Garza is a tad bigger, maybe runs the court a bit better, but Gasol is a smarter defender.  

23 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Oh gotcha.  Understood.  I thought you were piggybacking off the one who thought I was being facetious.  

We shall see, but I think Garza will be a much more polished rookie offensively than Gasol was.  I think Garza's PnR defense has improved quite a bit, but he's not on the same planet at Gasol there.  I was thinking more in terms of offensive mobility.  Garza is a tad bigger, maybe runs the court a bit better, but Gasol is a smarter defender.  

Not to keep arguing, but Gasol is bigger than Garza. Gasol’s official height is 7’1” and he has a 7’4” wingspan (before two years ago, NBA teams didn’t have to list official measurements, which was stupid. That’s why guys like Dwight Howard all of a sudden shrunk 3 inches).
Iowa lists Garza at 6’11”, which means he’ll likely measure in at 6’10” or less at the combine. Garza is 10 pounds heavier than Gasol, but Gasol has thinned down since he got to Toronto (and now LA). He was much bigger in his prime. 

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

Not to keep arguing, but Gasol is bigger than Garza. Gasol’s official height is 7’1” and he has a 7’4” wingspan (before two years ago, NBA teams didn’t have to list official measurements, which was stupid. That’s why guys like Dwight Howard all of a sudden shrunk 3 inches).
Iowa lists Garza at 6’11”, which means he’ll likely measure in at 6’10” or less at the combine. Garza is 10 pounds heavier than Gasol, but Gasol has thinned down since he got to Toronto (and now LA). He was much bigger in his prime. 

Marc is listed at 6'11" and 255, I believe.  His big bro is the one who is 7'1".  Garza has 10lbs on Gasol.  

• 9 months later...
On 12/18/2020 at 10:43 AM, GoBigFred said:

I have no idea about Banton yet, and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but how is Luka Garza a projected late 2nd round pick? It's befuddling to me how time and time again NBA GMs and scouts outthink themselves and draft some kid from overseas who has "potential" but we never hear from him again, but Garza is literally dominating NCAA Division I basketball and is apparently barely draftable. 

To update this subtopic, Garza was drafted in the late 2nd round by the Pistons (52nd) and made their roster.