Banton NBA Draft Thread

thrasher31

A good NBA player comp may be Kyle Anderson.  6’9” point guard out of UCLA who had elite ball handling and vision for his size.  Anderson’s freshman year he shot 21% from three (8/38). He returned for his sophomore year and shot 48% (28/58), was a third team all-American and was drafted at the end of the first round. 
His numbers his sophomore year were pretty similar to Dalano’s this year: 14.6 points, 8.8 rebounds, 6.5 assists. 

3 hours ago, millerhusker said:

A good NBA player comp may be Kyle Anderson.  6’9” point guard out of UCLA who had elite ball handling and vision for his size.  Anderson’s freshman year he shot 21% from three (8/38). He returned for his sophomore year and shot 48% (28/58), was a third team all-American and was drafted at the end of the first round. 
His numbers his sophomore year were pretty similar to Dalano’s this year: 14.6 points, 8.8 rebounds, 6.5 assists. 

SHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Are you TRYING to get rid of Dalano? Ixnay on the Antonbay NBAway alktay, OKway?

That’s why it’ll be interesting to see how Banton plays against the big boys now.  Cams draft stock toppled when he started to play tougher competition every night.

I think Banton will be able to hold his own more night in and out, but the Big 10 is also going to be tougher this year than last.

Edited by hskr4life

7 hours ago, hskr4life said:

That’s why it’ll be interesting to see how Banton plays against the big boys now.  Cams draft stock toppled when he started to play tougher competition every night.

I think Banton will be able to hold his own more night in and out, but the Big 10 is also going to be tougher this year than last.

Main difference IMO is Banton has physical tools you just can’t teach. With that said, I think Banton needs to prove he can hit the outside shot. 

Id love to see him have this upcoming offseason with Hoiberg to see if they can improve his shot. I believe they said due to Covid he really wasn’t able to play basketball at all this summer back home. 

On 12/19/2020 at 8:46 PM, Handy Johnson said:

So yer saying Delano’s our best draft prospect since Cam Mack...?

Generally speaking, a guy showing up on various draft lists tends to have better NBA prospects than a local scribe pondering if someone could be the best PG in school history.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Generally speaking, a guy showing up on various draft lists tends to have better NBA prospects than a local scribe pondering if someone could be the best PG in school history.

That same "scribe" was also convinced Tanner Lee was a combination of Johnny Unitas/John Elway rolled into one... 

On 12/18/2020 at 8:43 AM, GoBigFred said:

I have no idea about Banton yet, and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but how is Luka Garza a projected late 2nd round pick? It's befuddling to me how time and time again NBA GMs and scouts outthink themselves and draft some kid from overseas who has "potential" but we never hear from him again, but Garza is literally dominating NCAA Division I basketball and is apparently barely draftable. 

Same could be said for guys like Tyler Hansbrough. Being fundamentally sound can get you a spot on a NBA roster but teams are looking for the "freak" that can become a star or at least a decent starter.  Im not saying its right but its how the league has been trending.

Feels like Banton is coachable just based on his 3pt shot attempts.  It's just not his strength compared to everything else he does.

That second game vs Nevada he hit a couple in a row and then just starts jacking them, putting up 11 in that game.  He hasn't shot more than 5 since; taking 3-6 keeps the defense honest to open up his driving.

2 hours ago, MichHusker said:

ESPN's most recent 2022 mock draft has Banton going 37th overall to Atlanta

If he can become a proven shooter next season, it's not unrealistic for him to climb well into the first round. That would be a big bump to his paycheck. And it would make it worth it for him to wait the extra year before declaring for the draft.

On 12/18/2020 at 2:37 PM, GoBigFred said:

I'll just say this, I'm not saying Luka Garza will be an all star. My point is a guy named Goga Bitadze was the 18th overall pick by the Pacers in 2019. 6-11, 250. Not an outside shooter at all. His weaknesses were the same as Garza (not athletic, lacks explosiveness). He averaged 3.2 points and 2.0 rebounds last season in 54 games off the bench as a rookie. He was drafted 18th, and Garza is one of the final 10 picks or even undrafted in many of the mocks. I would be absolutely shocked and will come here and eat crow next June if Luka Garza doesn't average 3 and 2 for an NBA team this season.

We'll see how this game goes but Northwestern has been abusing Garza on defense. He couldn't get out on Pete Nance and then Ryan Young just drove on him from the top of the key. Guy is a great college player but he looks like he's going to end up as an overseas star vs a NBA player

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

We'll see how this game goes but Northwestern has been abusing Garza on defense. He couldn't get out on Pete Nance and then Ryan Young just drove on him from the top of the key. Guy is a great college player but he looks like he's going to end up as an overseas star vs a NBA player

If you can’t guard the pick and roll, you can’t play center in the NBA.  At least not big minutes or as a key player. 

On 12/18/2020 at 10:43 AM, GoBigFred said:

I have no idea about Banton yet, and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but how is Luka Garza a projected late 2nd round pick? It's befuddling to me how time and time again NBA GMs and scouts outthink themselves and draft some kid from overseas who has "potential" but we never hear from him again, but Garza is literally dominating NCAA Division I basketball and is apparently barely draftable. 

If you want to see an illustration of why Garza isn't higher on NBA draft boards, watch the highlight video from Iowa-Northwestern starting at about the 1:05 mark: 

I’ve read that NBA scouts look for 5 things when evaluating bigs.

1. Pick n roll defense

2. Post defense

3. Ability to create offense 

4. Shooting 

5. Isolation scoring is last 

The more boxes checked, the better. Luka isn’t a versatile defender. He gets doubled a lot, but lacks the vision and passing ability to create for teammates. He won’t be able to score in the post in the NBA like he does in college. He has developed into a good shooter, but that ain’t enough.