Banton NBA Draft Thread

thrasher31

I have no idea about Banton yet, and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but how is Luka Garza a projected late 2nd round pick? It's befuddling to me how time and time again NBA GMs and scouts outthink themselves and draft some kid from overseas who has "potential" but we never hear from him again, but Garza is literally dominating NCAA Division I basketball and is apparently barely draftable. 

1 minute ago, GoBigFred said:

I have no idea about Banton yet, and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but how is Luka Garza a projected late 2nd round pick? It's befuddling to me how time and time again NBA GMs and scouts outthink themselves and draft some kid from overseas who has "potential" but we never hear from him again, but Garza is literally dominating NCAA Division I basketball and is apparently barely draftable. 

The NBA doesn't like traditional big men any more.  It's just the way the game is going.

1 minute ago, GoBigFred said:

Defense mainly I think. Teams worry about his defense at the next level. I think he'll be a solid guy for years. 

1 minute ago, thrasher31 said:

Defense mainly I think. Teams worry about his defense at the next level. I think he'll be a solid guy for years. 

I suppose. Well some team at the end of the draft is going to be very fortunate IMO and get a guy who will easily be in an NBA rotation for many years. 

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I'm going to say that we'll need to win a few games for him to really get on someones radar.  So it's kind of a win/win for us.  We do better than expected OR we keep him for another year. 

He's on the radar regardless of how many games we win. Very tall ball handlers are in demand in the NBA.

1 hour ago, GoBigFred said:

If he goes to the second I guarantee Lebron drafts him to the Lakers.  Too smart and skilled for the Lake show to pass him up.  He'd be the second coming of Marc Gasol whom they already have.  

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I'm going to say that we'll need to win a few games for him to really get on someones radar.  So it's kind of a win/win for us.  We do better than expected OR we keep him for another year. 

Anthony Edwards, Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz all played for mediocre teams and were all #1 picks. Right or wrong, scouts don’t seem to care about a player’s college team success.

I'll just say this, I'm not saying Luka Garza will be an all star. My point is a guy named Goga Bitadze was the 18th overall pick by the Pacers in 2019. 6-11, 250. Not an outside shooter at all. His weaknesses were the same as Garza (not athletic, lacks explosiveness). He averaged 3.2 points and 2.0 rebounds last season in 54 games off the bench as a rookie. He was drafted 18th, and Garza is one of the final 10 picks or even undrafted in many of the mocks. I would be absolutely shocked and will come here and eat crow next June if Luka Garza doesn't average 3 and 2 for an NBA team this season.

But back to the original topic, Banton needs to get better as a shooter and cut down on the turnovers. If he does that, he'll be very very intriguing. Also, Roby has not looked too great this preseason. He's been getting lots of playing time from the Thunder but it doesn't seem like he's taking advantage of it enough (at least according to their twitter fans). 

Edited by GoBigFred