Creighton game day thread 12 14 20

redsteve

7 minutes ago, HB said:

You gotta be kidding me.  Can’t run the floor or play a lick of defense. 

I thought her offense really kicked in towards the end of the 3rd quarter.  I'm not quite as critical of her defense. We don't have guards to cover the perimeter effectively.  We're asking our bigs to play defense 18 feet from the basket. Give them a break.

3 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

I thought her offense really kicked in towards the end of the 3rd quarter.  I'm not quite as critical of her defense. We don't have guards to cover the perimeter effectively.  We're asking our bigs to play defense 18 feet from the basket. Give them a break.

Would like to watch film with you.  She gets beat a lot close to the basket.  It’s obvious why she didn’t get the Iowa offer despite her sister 

7 minutes ago, HB said:

Would like to watch film with you.  She gets beat a lot close to the basket.  It’s obvious why she didn’t get the Iowa offer despite her sister 

You are probably right.  I liked her effort. She seems to have some offensive skills.  With experience, and some good coaching (?), her defense should improve.  After all, she is probably 18 years old, and 4 games into Division I competition. Verdict still out, from my perspective. 

1 hour ago, Bugeaters1 said:

What I don't understand is why dont we have 15 players on the roster.

This is "bugging" me (pun intended).  When teams are punished for infractions, the NCAA takes scholarships away. When was the last time we had 15 ladies on scholarship?  We brought in 4 transfers. Of them, how many were questionable because of previous injuries, or transfer eligibility?  Roster management or mismanagement, seems to be a serious issue. 

7 minutes ago, HUD said:

I understood she did have an offer from Iowa.

From Husker Hoops (I think)

Personal
The daughter of Peter and Julie Stewart, Annika was born April 17, 2002, in Minot, N.D. She has an older sister, Hannah, who was a starting forward as a senior at Iowa in 2018-19. Annika also has an older brother, Elijah, who attends the U.S. Naval Academy.

Stewart chose Nebraska over Minnesota and Iowa because of the overall environment of the program.

"I really like the coaching staff and the family atmosphere," Stewart said. "I believe it is a special place with great support to thrive as a student-athlete. I'm excited to be a Husker!"

12 hours ago, 12dozen said:

You are probably right.  I liked her effort. She seems to have some offensive skills.  With experience, and some good coaching (?), her defense should improve.  After all, she is probably 18 years old, and 4 games into Division I competition. Verdict still out, from my perspective. 

Hope you’re right.  Size and strength are good.  Quicks and athleticism not so much But she's certainly not our most glaring problem.  

Edited by HB

3 minutes ago, HB said:

Yeah,  there has been talk of that, but I suspect it was a courtesy one without a push by Iowa.   

oh, not so sure about that. i don't think iowa would have offered her if they didn't see something in her. i might be wrong, but, don't think her sister really showed up till her junior year. course, having gusty sure helped everyone else.

7 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

the injury nightmare is on:

porter-injured

brady-injured

dillard-injured and sounds like she may not be back this season

cayton-not cleared as far as i know from her past injuries

and, of course helms has left

2020 what a year. 

What if transfers Craven and Scoggin weren't granted immediate eligibility?

2 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Not the issue. you will lose more than you gain......

What is the issue?  She is responsible for the current roster.  Has Cain developed significantly from her freshman year?  Haiby and Bourne are.   the only legitimate D I players on this roster.  Scoggin can’t get her own shot and Brown is D II at best.  I like Amy and I am sure we have good girls on the team.  But the program s not where it should be. Bringing in injury prone transfers hasn’t worked out. 

9 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

What is the issue?  She is responsible for the current roster.  Has Cain developed significantly from her freshman year?  Haiby and Bourne are.   the only legitimate D I players on this roster.  Scoggin can’t get her own shot and Brown is D II at best.  I like Amy and I am sure we have good girls on the team.  But the program s not where it should be. Bringing in injury prone transfers hasn’t worked out. 

unfortunately, the staff may have had no choice. that's the troubling part.

We shot 42% and they shot 40%.  So how did we get spanked so bad.

Really simple

16 off/rb to 7

8 TO's to 13

8 steals to 4

Teams that rebound and defend get more shots.  In this case 19 more shots.

New year same story.  Coaches have 0 respect for defending and boarding.

Said it last game and doubling down this one.  Watch all the film you want we don't box out, we don't switch effectively and we deliver help side very weakly.  By the way those things are coachable. 

Also conditioning is also pretty questionable.

20 minutes ago, caveman said:

We shot 42% and they shot 40%.  So how did we get spanked so bad.

Really simple

16 off/rb to 7

8 TO's to 13

8 steals to 4

Teams that rebound and defend get more shots.  In this case 19 more shots.

New year same story.  Coaches have 0 respect for defending and boarding.

Said it last game and doubling down this one.  Watch all the film you want we don't box out, we don't switch effectively and we deliver help side very weakly.  By the way those things are coachable. 

Also conditioning is also pretty questionable.

Um. It sounds like you're saying we're not tough or disciplined.

And maybe a little out of shape.

God I miss Natalie Romeo.

28 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Another 5 years of this. is that what all of you guys want? 

I want better than what is being presented.  Sorry, but I question how good the incoming class will be.  Yes, we have injuries but the lack of quickness, foot speed and determination to rebound is lacking.  We shouldn’t lose 5 in a row to Creighton.