Creighton game day thread 12 14 20

redsteve

kinda says it all...

https://hailvarsity.com/womens-basketball/creighton-gives-shorthanded-huskers-their-first-loss-of-the-year-in-78-62-runaway/

"While the Creighton bench was buzzing, the ladies on the court, regardless of which combination, were talking. From that standpoint, the difference between the two sides was more than noticeable.

And then in the second quarter, after she’d spent just six minutes on the court, disaster struck when freshman wing Ruby Porter turned an ankle and crumpled to the floor. She had to be carried off the court and came back out after halftime with a boot and crutches. 

Nebraska’s depth went from bad to comically bad."

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Some previous post mentioned the recruitment of injured players. And we had to recruit them.......

Sorry, not trying to be argumentative, but there's just no future recruiting injured players. ...in particular those that have not recovered. Have always thought so.

We see the results of that now. Just hope Porter will be back soon. Wish one of those on the bench will contribute soon, otherwise....

I see smaller schools have quick guards...where did they find them? There's just no substitute for quickness in basketball.

Roster size....Creighton had 14 I think (kind of hard to tell watching the game)...their whole team mostly are guards....that can shoot. And...they weren't especially quick...just well versed on how to play. in their scheme

Our lack of perimeter defense in particular....defense has been the same for years now.....makes a person cringe.

OK, hopefully the Creighton debacle is an aberration, and we'll recover with a good season. If not re-evaluate. 

Edited by redsteve

3 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

Nebraska’s depth went from bad to comically bad."

Not to beat a dead horse, but what excuse do you have for not carrying a full roster?  We are allowed 15 scholarships. You can add walk-ons to that number.  The only restriction I can find, you can only dress 15 players for a game.  I read where we practiced with as few as 6 players at one time.  Wouldn't a larger roster give options when players are injured?  Wouldn't competition help hone skills?  The only thing that comes to mind, this staff isn't very good at recruiting people to Lincoln. If they are concerned, players will transfer for lack of playing time, transfers happen.  If they aren't playing, is it that big a loss?  OK, done venting.

13 hours ago, redsteve said:

OK, hopefully the Creighton debacle is an aberration, and we'll recover with a good season. If not re-evaluate. 

As much as I want them to have a good season, I don't believe it is an aberration but more likely an indication of what's to come.  If the contrary turns out to be true, then I will have to praise the program for getting things worked out.

So did anyone listen to Larry and Brenda during the IL game? Brenda talked about Nancy Fahey's stop at D3 Washington U in St. Louis. 5 NC and 9  finals total. She talked about the changes she made coming to D1 and then changes she made after last year. Two new assistants and change to her offense. I think part of Williams problem is she has not made any changes. Her staff have been in place for 5 years here in Lincoln. Goehle has been with her for 6 years, Love has been with her for 9 years, and Mays has been with her for 13 years. I think I remember reading Love was looking but that is a long time to have the same staff. Granted when things are going good it can be OK but I would not say Williams should be happy with the results she has seen. Plus it was troubling to me when it took shutting things down in the spring for her to evaluate and make changes. Talking with Coach Cook, using the sports psychologist, leadership training, etc. Granted she may have not had some of these tools at other stops but she has them here. I also think going from D1 to a P5 D1 school can also prompt a change. She just does not seem to like to change the status quo. Troubling to say the least. 

People can check my track record on what I think of recruits - the people who I said would be good. Said it with Leigha and Isabelle and Annika. I think all that has borne out to be true. (Criticism of Stewart, four games into her career, is really odd.)

At any rate, next year's recruiting class is excellent. Coley's really good. Alexis is really good, and she'll really care. I don't see why Weidner can't be as good as Emily Ryan is at Iowa State, only more of a scorer. Moriarty is an elite defender.

It goes without saying that this year is going to be a tough journey. Hard to win a lot without guards, and recruiting/transfer work hasn't been as good as it needs to be...until next year. 

2 hours ago, All About the Corn said:

So did anyone listen to Larry and Brenda during the IL game? Brenda talked about Nancy Fahey's stop at D3 Washington U in St. Louis. 5 NC and 9  finals total. She talked about the changes she made coming to D1 and then changes she made after last year. Two new assistants and change to her offense. I think part of Williams problem is she has not made any changes. Her staff have been in place for 5 years here in Lincoln. Goehle has been with her for 6 years, Love has been with her for 9 years, and Mays has been with her for 13 years. I think I remember reading Love was looking but that is a long time to have the same staff. Granted when things are going good it can be OK but I would not say Williams should be happy with the results she has seen. Plus it was troubling to me when it took shutting things down in the spring for her to evaluate and make changes. Talking with Coach Cook, using the sports psychologist, leadership training, etc. Granted she may have not had some of these tools at other stops but she has them here. I also think going from D1 to a P5 D1 school can also prompt a change. She just does not seem to like to change the status quo. Troubling to say the least. 

I appreciate what you're saying here.  I think you're probably right- we'll have to see where things go the rest of this season.  It seems to me that a lot of coaches are stubborn to a fault, but since I've never coached it's hard for me to judge.

18 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

People can check my track record on what I think of recruits - the people who I said would be good. Said it with Leigha and Isabelle and Annika. I think all that has borne out to be true. (Criticism of Stewart, four games into her career, is really odd.)

At any rate, next year's recruiting class is excellent. Coley's really good. Alexis is really good, and she'll really care. I don't see why Weidner can't be as good as Emily Ryan is at Iowa State, only more of a scorer. Moriarty is an elite defender.

It goes without saying that this year is going to be a tough journey. Hard to win a lot without guards, and recruiting/transfer work hasn't been as good as it needs to be...until next year. 

Did you say anything about Scoggin?

I think Stewart will be a good player for us. Williams has players on this team. She has players coming in. We are missing a true point guard and that does hurt quite a bit. Right now we are starting two shooting guards. While it was nice to see Haiby take over the IL game, her weakness can be passing, and a consistent outside shot. Sam brought up Leigha and the one thing KBA knew was she could score and at times made them pay last year but she was surprised at how complete a player she is. No doubt a big loss for our team. What would have been nice to see is for us to have the players to switch to a bit smaller lineup to match up better with Creighton. Williams can not do that right now. Plus how often does she start the same five after halftime. Even when the first half has shown they struggle on the court. Kind of what I was getting at in my earlier post. 

4 hours ago, swmckewon said:

Fifth year of program should have more positive results.  Hope you are correct on incoming recruits because we have had too many that haven’t developed.  Stewart is fine because she can score, that’s never a bad thing. We need Brady and Porter to recover quickly or Sam will be worn down fast.  

13 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Fifth year of program should have more positive results.  Hope you are correct on incoming recruits because we have had too many that haven’t developed.  Stewart is fine because she can score, that’s never a bad thing. We need Brady and Porter to recover quickly or Sam will be worn down fast.  

Player development seems to be a common concern in this forum.  Based on recent history, it seems valid.  Whitish and Simon were in the program for several years with this staff, and did not seem to improve.  I think Cain has improved some from year to year, but can't help thinking, she could have been dominant. Hopefully, this is another area the staff is looking to improve upon.  Izzy seems to have upped her game.  What little we have seen of Trinity, she impressed. Maybe, this is being addressed.  One can hope.    

Creighton has mostly used the same MO for all five wins against Williams. They are quicker, and have burned us with the three. We have not had a real true point guard since Theriot which has really hurt our chances of changing that trend not only against Creighton but in the B1G as well. With 15 scholarships for WBB we should be looking to have 2-3 point guards here and now we have none?