NEB-Creighton film analysis

MichHusker

Re-watched the second half since that is obviously where things went very south. A few things that stuck out...

1. We love to ball watch. Creighton got a ton of baskets because all five sets of eyes were glued to the basketball. Whether it was shooters in transition, cuts, or drives, we were quite often playing a step behind defensively in the second half.

2. With that said, what really made Creighton great in that second half was once they got an advantage (due to poor closeout, offensive action, etc.) they NEVER let up. We were always in rotation because we were always trying to play catchup.

3. Believe it or not, Creighton didn't really run many actions in the second half. In the half court, they really got us with two actions. They slipped a lot of guard to guard screens which requires excellent and consistent communication to defend, which we do not have. They also set a lot of double ball screens with their 5 and shooter with the shooter always popping, which tended to be a slip as well. Just off the action alone, not counting after-play, they got two wide open 3's and two layups.

4. I really felt bad for Thor out there. There were times where he had to guard like four guys because of how much other guys were getting beat. 

5. Banton and Trey weren't great defensively either. Trey had the WTF moment of the game where he picks up at about half court and literally just stops playing. The guy drove, forced Thor to help, and kicked to his man for an open corner three

6. To wrap up, key issues seemed to be eye discipline, communication, and effort, and obviously mental fortitude when things aren't going well. Luckily, none require 5 star or top 100 skill. A great opponent to play before Big 10 play because they really had to make us be smart and locked in to the scouting report all game. While the conference is loaded, there might only be about 3-5 teams that attack us with the level of shooting, smarts, and experience that Creighton has

I think this is good analysis.  Our team hasn't jelled yet and it shows that they are all playing individually (with exceptions like Thor) but that seems how it goes when you have basically a brand new team and they haven't been able to play or practice together as much as they would have in a normal season.  The good news is a lot of the problems seem fixable but the bad news is that the guys need to buy in and even if we are getting better we are going to lose a lot of games just because of how great the conference so hopefully they can keep fighting through what is going to be another season of adversity. 

How right you are UnicamMan. If Hoiberg doesn't lose the team through another win-loss record then he can teach and prepare for next year when another talent upgrade is coming to be added to the nucleus of this year's squad. I pray he can keep the contributors from this team or we will be in the same situation next year too. I thought when NU signed Frost and Hoiberg in consecutive years we'd be sailing along nicely. Now we are looking at five combined losing seasons in five cumulative years. 

1 hour ago, UnicamMan said:

I think this is good analysis.  Our team hasn't jelled yet and it shows that they are all playing individually (with exceptions like Thor) but that seems how it goes when you have basically a brand new team and they haven't been able to play or practice together as much as they would have in a normal season.  The good news is a lot of the problems seem fixable but the bad news is that the guys need to buy in and even if we are getting better we are going to lose a lot of games just because of how great the conference so hopefully they can keep fighting through what is going to be another season of adversity. 

People keep bringing up Hoiberg year 2 and Iowa St. They lost to Drake and UNI in their first handful of games. 

I have no idea if his Iowa St roster was comparable to ours right now. But I know they had an offseason to jell and I doubt the Big 12 that year will be as daunting as the Big Ten is this year. Even in losses, I’m hoping we see quite a bit of improvement towards the end of the year. My concern is keeping kids like Teddy Allen engaged when you are losing left and right. 

3 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Thoughts on trying an extended 1-3-1 with Banton on top and someone like Trey on the bottom?  Lat in the middle with Teddy and Thor on the wings.

Could even extend it beyond halfcourt.

I think our defense has been phenomenally improved this season with the exception of two halves.  I just want a post defender who doesn’t need weakside help.  We’ll be amazing if we can keep rotations from happening.