Andre...

I’m not sure, but I went back and watched some of his tape and he’s a different level of athlete than Drago is. 

Not sure how good of a basketball player he is right now but for sure looks more bouncy. 

Drago hasn’t panned out. He’s still young but if he doesn’t make a big leap I would not be surprised if he’s encouraged to move on at years end. 

24 minutes ago, LK1 said:

What’s his status?  We could use a 5.  

Covid positive at Nov 25th or earlier. 21 days later is this Wednesday the 16th.  At that point the question will be how hard did the virus hit him and how rusty is he. A lot of time it takes post players a few years to get going. It seems like it will be asking a lot for him to play 10+ minutes a game for the next month at least.

I'm intrigued to see how he looks on the court, but I don't think we should have any expectations for him. Before the season, Hoiberg said something along the lines of, "Eduardo might even have to help us out this year (because of potential COVID issues)." Aside from talking about his wingspan, Hoiberg didn't speak very glowingly of Eduardo like he did most of the other players. 

At this point, we just need someone trustworthy to play in the post. Someone who just doesn't hurt us more than they help us. I'm hoping this is where Derrick Walker comes in.  He has played minutes in 3 NCAA tournament games and 2 SEC championship games as a part of two very good Tennessee teams (they were #1 in the country for six weeks his soph year).  Here's what tells me he's better than what we currently run out there at the 5:  In 459 career minutes, he only has 27 turnovers. And he's shot 38/66 (58%) from the field. This year, Lat and Yvan are a combined 22/64 (34%). Lat turns it over nearly every time he puts the ball on the floor and Yvan's field goal attempts are essentially turnovers. Wasted possessions are our biggest problem offensively right now. Defensively, Walker has been described as an "enforcer type" and has a 7' wingspan. Serviceable is all we need out of our 5. 

6 hours ago, millerhusker said:

I'm intrigued to see how he looks on the court, but I don't think we should have any expectations for him. Before the season, Hoiberg said something along the lines of, "Eduardo might even have to help us out this year (because of potential COVID issues)." Aside from talking about his wingspan, Hoiberg didn't speak very glowingly of Eduardo like he did most of the other players. 

At this point, we just need someone trustworthy to play in the post. Someone who just doesn't hurt us more than they help us. I'm hoping this is where Derrick Walker comes in.  He has played minutes in 3 NCAA tournament games and 2 SEC championship games as a part of two very good Tennessee teams (they were #1 in the country for six weeks his soph year).  Here's what tells me he's better than what we currently run out there at the 5:  In 459 career minutes, he only has 27 turnovers. And he's shot 38/66 (58%) from the field. This year, Lat and Yvan are a combined 22/64 (34%). Lat turns it over nearly every time he puts the ball on the floor and Yvan's field goal attempts are essentially turnovers. Wasted possessions are our biggest problem offensively right now. Defensively, Walker has been described as an "enforcer type" and has a 7' wingspan. Serviceable is all we need out of our 5. 

Oh Walker for sure will change our trajectory.  I’m just talking about the band aid until that point.  I’d rather see what Andre can do. 

Not exactly a glowing estimate of Andre's potential. If the coach states it this way I can only imagine what it will actually be like.

How tedious. The perpetual dearth of serviceable, to say nothing of a quality post player at NU is downright grim. What the bloody, f*****g hell does it take to get someone with ability to accept a free scholarship at the university?

55 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

How tedious. The perpetual dearth of serviceable, to say nothing of a quality post player at NU is downright grim. What the bloody, f*****g hell does it take to get someone with ability to accept a free scholarship at the university?

$100,000

1 hour ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Not exactly a glowing estimate of Andre's potential. If the coach states it this way I can only imagine what it will actually be like.

Dude, this is getting old real fast, my god. He hasn’t even been here 2 years yet. He signed a 5 star and a top 60ish post guy, chill out and give him some time.

2 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Yeah man.. it takes Fred Hoiberg to do that, and he already has.  

If I could make a hockey analogy, it feels like we have two guys in the penalty box right now and we're short-handed. We won't be full strength until sometime mid-January. It's entirely possible that Eduardo Andre isn't all that, but his measurables would lead you to believe he could do some things that would help the team. I mean, not only is he our tallest player by a couple of inches, but he's got a wingspan of almost 7 1/2 feet. And he's pretty athletic. So, can he catch and dunk? Would opposing teams have to guard him on the screen and roll? Can he beat opposing bigs down the floor in a footrace in transition?

One thing is for sure: beyond any shadow of a doubt, once he returns and is available for action, he has 5 fouls to give. Those 5 fouls might come in handy down the line.

34 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If I could make a hockey analogy, it feels like we have two guys in the penalty box right now and we're short-handed. We won't be full strength until sometime mid-January. It's entirely possible that Eduardo Andre isn't all that, but his measurables would lead you to believe he could do some things that would help the team. I mean, not only is he our tallest player by a couple of inches, but he's got a wingspan of almost 7 1/2 feet. And he's pretty athletic. So, can he catch and dunk? Would opposing teams have to guard him on the screen and roll? Can he beat opposing bigs down the floor in a footrace in transition?

One thing is for sure: beyond any shadow of a doubt, once he returns and is available for action, he has 5 fouls to give. Those 5 fouls might come in handy down the line.

Can we get away with not doubling in the post when he's in?  We'll score 10 more points a game in transition if we don't have to.  Ugh.  

I can't wait to see our actual team.  

Getting Andre and Lakes would be great for this team. Yes we don't know much about Andre but he's another body inside and hopefully can give us something better than what Yvan has so far.

Lakes probably won't play a ton, but he's another shooter off the bench. Don't need him to put up a ton of minutes, but if he can come in and spot up and hit some threes, call it a win.

Hopefully they get the Doane game so he can get some reps before Wisconsin. I'm really curious to see how he does in big ten play. At this point, his role will be to be Yvans relief. I'm still curious if they trot out the same starting 5 on Tuesday next week, but if they do, need to attack Ruevers in space. 

Want to see Andre though. Expectations from me aren't very high. He just needs to provide depth until Walker gets back