uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 6 - @ Creighton

uneblinstu

Finally have a chance to watch and taking notes during to see where they collapse and how

First half:

-Lat with 2 really fucking dumb fouls. Had no chance to block the breakaway (although I understand contesting, but it was hardly a contest) and he shouldn't have put the ball on the court there

-Yvan got his hand up but Z made it. So he got closer to Z second possession down and got hit with the foul. Needs to trust the first time, no need to over commit

-Yvan can't be under the basket there. Need to be parallel to the basket instead of behind so he just can catch and go up. For him it's not ideal.

-on Z's 3 to put em up 15-8, not sure who banton was guarding. Yvan tagged the big, so he needs to rotate out to the corner so Teddy and Trey aren't on an island. Easy 3. Ball watching bad.

-Next possession down, Yvan was about to dribble, but passed out for an easy 3 for Thor. Need more of those quick decisions from Yvan.

-Banton caught his 3 in rhythm, just off the back iron. Looked comfortable with it.

-pass fake by Banton led to an easy 3. He's comfortable, just needs reps

-Like getting Teddy in the post. Bad foul

-Thor has played well so far. Drawn charge there.

-just noticed they're playing Shamiel at the 5. We'll see this lineup against certain teams I think.

-I haven't mentioned it a lot, but Banton's handle is sloppy and loose at times.

-Out of the media TO, good play drawn up, just got shut down.

-Rough possession by Yvan. Pass being tipped effected the trajectories, but need to just pass it out to Shamiel there. 

-They were clearly attacking Yvan early. Don't think he did a horrible job

-Shamiel is a freight train. That's it

-Shamiel got switched into Z and picked up a quick foul. Something to watch

-One pass and shoot offense infuriates me.

-They were leaving Shamiel open and he airballed and hit short iron. 0-7 from 3 on the year. That is essentially the reason he isn't starting and he won't until he hits one.

-Trey is a hellish defender. Love it. Someone needs to help him shoot fts

-Teddy spins right way too much. Two strips off that move.

-Whoever was at the 5, Creighton targeted him. 3 different guys Z targeted.

-Really good ball movement on the Kobe missed 3

-Teddy takeover. 

-Yvan block. We didn't see that often last year.

-Fuck whichever Creighton player said "miss it"

-Yvan needs to drop quicker on that lob.

-4:44 we had a one point lead. Won't last long but noting. 

-Trey got caught ball watching and got burned back door.

-Pretty disasterous possession on offense and defense after Yvan went 1-2 at the FT line. Yvan gives up a tip which leads to an OREB and Teddy gets ripped pretty easily. And then Dalano isn't paying attention to a routine hand off between him and Thor

-Z can fucking shoot. 

-Yvan is a disaster on offense. He has some good moments but overall it's a disaster. 12th TO. 

-Was about to say something mean about Teddy for his one pass 3 point shot, but instead gets a steal and layup.

-I let out an audible swear word when ballock got open. "who's fucking man was that". It started out being thor's, but kobe picked him up on a switch and lost him pretty bad. Thor ended up running over, but that wasn't his responsibility. Might be a scheme thing, but from a birds eye view it looks like Kobe lost him.

-Kobe didn't pick up anyone next possession down and it leads to an open Mahoney 3. Kobe's lucky he missed. Looked like he was going to trap the corner maybe. Rewinded it. No. He just didn't pick anyone up. He's just doing cardio on the fast break.

-Banton. Can. Shoot. Contested 3. 

-Mahoney stepped out LOL. they replayed it and the ref was right there. Clear as day. 

-44-40 Creighton. It feels like it's more for some reason. Not a bad start though. I'm preparing myself for the second half meltdown that I know is coming.

5 hours ago, HB said:

You're doing your whipping boy thing, like you did with Sek.  We have a helluva lot more problems than just Yvan.   We get it.   You're down on him.  Let it rest.  If you think that's our only problem, you haven't been watching closely.

Ive been watching and following this team for 26 years.  Hes not my whipping boy.  Merely giving my opinion on what I see.  If that hurts your feelings and its only supposed to be rainbows and butterflies then my bad I guess.  I get he is what we have right now.  But as it stands he, right now, is not a fit for this system and hasnt shown progress.  Having a capable 5 right now for this system is what is stopping this team from taking a leap.

37 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Finally have a chance to watch and taking notes during to see where they collapse and how

First half:

-Lat with 2 really fucking dumb fouls. Had no chance to block the breakaway (although I understand contesting, but it was hardly a contest) and he shouldn't have put the ball on the court there

-Yvan got his hand up but Z made it. So he got closer to Z second possession down and got hit with the foul. Needs to trust the first time, no need to over commit

-Yvan can't be under the basket there. Need to be parallel to the basket instead of behind so he just can catch and go up. For him it's not ideal.

-on Z's 3 to put em up 15-8, not sure who banton was guarding. Yvan tagged the big, so he needs to rotate out to the corner so Teddy and Trey aren't on an island. Easy 3. Ball watching bad.

-Next possession down, Yvan was about to dribble, but passed out for an easy 3 for Thor. Need more of those quick decisions from Yvan.

-Banton caught his 3 in rhythm, just off the back iron. Looked comfortable with it.

-pass fake by Banton led to an easy 3. He's comfortable, just needs reps

-Like getting Teddy in the post. Bad foul

-Thor has played well so far. Drawn charge there.

-just noticed they're playing Shamiel at the 5. We'll see this lineup against certain teams I think.

-I haven't mentioned it a lot, but Banton's handle is sloppy and loose at times.

-Out of the media TO, good play drawn up, just got shut down.

-Rough possession by Yvan. Pass being tipped effected the trajectories, but need to just pass it out to Shamiel there. 

-They were clearly attacking Yvan early. Don't think he did a horrible job

-Shamiel is a freight train. That's it

-Shamiel got switched into Z and picked up a quick foul. Something to watch

-One pass and shoot offense infuriates me.

-They were leaving Shamiel open and he airballed and hit short iron. 0-7 from 3 on the year. That is essentially the reason he isn't starting and he won't until he hits one.

-Trey is a hellish defender. Love it. Someone needs to help him shoot fts

-Teddy spins right way too much. Two strips off that move.

-Whoever was at the 5, Creighton targeted him. 3 different guys Z targeted.

-Really good ball movement on the Kobe missed 3

-Teddy takeover. 

-Yvan block. We didn't see that often last year.

-Fuck whichever Creighton player said "miss it"

-Yvan needs to drop quicker on that lob.

-4:44 we had a one point lead. Won't last long but noting. 

-Trey got caught ball watching and got burned back door.

-Pretty disasterous possession on offense and defense after Yvan went 1-2 at the FT line. Yvan gives up a tip which leads to an OREB and Teddy gets ripped pretty easily. And then Dalano isn't paying attention to a routine hand off between him and Thor

-Z can fucking shoot. 

-Yvan is a disaster on offense. He has some good moments but overall it's a disaster. 12th TO. 

-Was about to say something mean about Teddy for his one pass 3 point shot, but instead gets a steal and layup.

-I let out an audible swear word when ballock got open. "who's fucking man was that". It started out being thor's, but kobe picked him up on a switch and lost him pretty bad. Thor ended up running over, but that wasn't his responsibility. Might be a scheme thing, but from a birds eye view it looks like Kobe lost him.

-Kobe didn't pick up anyone next possession down and it leads to an open Mahoney 3. Kobe's lucky he missed. Looked like he was going to trap the corner maybe. Rewinded it. No. He just didn't pick anyone up. He's just doing cardio on the fast break.

-Banton. Can. Shoot. Contested 3. 

-Mahoney stepped out LOL. they replayed it and the ref was right there. Clear as day. 

-44-40 Creighton. It feels like it's more for some reason. Not a bad start though. I'm preparing myself for the second half meltdown that I know is coming.

Grab a beer or 2 before you start the 2nd lol 

Second half:

-I know what's coming and I'm not ready. 

-TEDDY. My man. Pick up someone. Or draw a charge.

-Trey knows how to draw fouls

-Lat is really lucky their center dropped it. 

-Next possession they target him and he picks up a foul.

-Ok. The McGowens dunk. This is where shit gets bad. Good verticality to not give up a foul though.

-Someone take Teddy to layup school. That's like his 4th missed layup this half. He usually makes those. So must be concentration.

-Lat got blocked. His release, while good, needs space. 

-Thor drive good. 

-Lat travel. I've said it before. Ban him from dribbling. 

-I'm watching this freshman body Lat and I'm getting nightmares about Micah Potter obliterating him.

-Trey has confidence from 3. That's due damn sure.

-LAT. Abandon the trap when there's a sniper. Can't can't can't do that.

-Ok. Why do y'all want to bench Thor again? Good dump off to McGowens there.

-Out of control possession by McGowens led to fast break other way. 

-We have a turnover problem. Which will turn to fast break points if they don't fix it. Mitchell 3 at 11:10

-there is a ball watching problem. That's at least 5 this game on the layup by 0. Shamiel got caught in no man's land and didn't pick up the roll man . Probably more. 

-If you give a top 10 team an inch, they'll take a mile. That's what's happening this second half. Creighton has a very good team. 

-charge drawn by Creighton but you have Lat open on the wing. Pass it out for an open 3. Might be a difficult pass for Shamiel, but needs to be a pass that's made.

-Scrambling defense, but no real contest at under 10 minutes.

-Fred wanted to pop that ball. He's pissed.

-SEE! Good rotation and not bad watching. Shamiel contest at the rim and rebound which leads to Teddy layup.

-Ah yes. This is when I turned it on when I got home. Banton pass to lat which leads to the windmill. Not fun.

-nothing substantial after this I think. 

-Left it on. Lat needs to be banned from dribbling. Drew a charge on the fast break. NOW I'M DONE

Overall, we competed for about 28 minutes I'd say against a top 10 team while committing turnovers and bad defensive rotations. We'll be fine. My main concern is Lat getting comfortable and communication on defense right now. Yvan gives good effort defensively, which is why we'll see an uptick in minutes played come conference play

Edited by thrasher31

10 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Second half:

-I know what's coming and I'm not ready. 

-TEDDY. My man. Pick up someone. Or draw a charge.

-Trey knows how to draw fouls

-Lat is really lucky their center dropped it. 

-Next possession they target him and he picks up a foul.

-Ok. The McGowens dunk. This is where shit gets bad. Good verticality to not give up a foul though.

-Someone take Teddy to layup school. That's like his 4th missed layup this half. He usually makes those. So must be concentration.

-Lat got blocked. His release, while good, needs space. 

-Thor drive good. 

-Lat travel. I've said it before. Ban him from dribbling. 

-I'm watching this freshman body Lat and I'm getting nightmares about Micah Potter obliterating him.

-Trey has confidence from 3. That's due damn sure.

-LAT. Abandon the trap when there's a sniper. Can't can't can't do that.

-Ok. Why do y'all want to bench Thor again? Good dump off to McGowens there.

-Out of control possession by McGowens led to fast break other way. 

-We have a turnover problem. Which will turn to fast break points if they don't fix it. Mitchell 3 at 11:10

-there is a ball watching problem. That's at least 5 this game on the layup by 0. Shamiel got caught in no man's land and didn't pick up the roll man . Probably more. 

-If you give a top 10 team an inch, they'll take a mile. That's what's happening this second half. Creighton has a very good team. 

-charge drawn by Creighton but you have Lat open on the wing. Pass it out for an open 3. Might be a difficult pass for Shamiel, but needs to be a pass that's made.

-Scrambling defense, but no real contest at under 10 minutes.

-Fred wanted to pop that ball. He's pissed.

-SEE! Good rotation and not bad watching. Shamiel contest at the rim and rebound which leads to Teddy layup.

-Ah yes. This is when I turned it on when I got home. Banton pass to lat which leads to the windmill. Not fun.

-nothing substantial after this I think. 

-Left it on. Lat needs to be banned from dribbling. Drew a charge on the fast break. NOW I'M DONE

Overall, we competed for about 28 minutes I'd say against a top 10 team while committing turnovers and bad defensive rotations. We'll be fine. My main concern is Lat getting comfortable and communication on defense right now. Yvan gives good effort defensively, which is why we'll see an uptick in minutes played come conference play

Good analysis and fun to follow. I’m intrigued on what Walker will bring at the 5, as I’m assuming he’s better than Yvan and Andre. 

Also said in a previous post about a week or so ago about Lat dribbling and how it should be avoided at all costs. If it’s not there give it up, otherwise let it rip. 

Just now, OmahaHusker said:

Good analysis and fun to follow. I’m intrigued on what Walker will bring at the 5, as I’m assuming he’s better than Yvan and Andre. 

Also said in a previous post about a week or so ago about Lat dribbling and how it should be avoided at all costs. If it’s not there give it up, otherwise let it rip. 

Yvan isn't the worst in the world, at least defensively. He does some good things in that aspect. But teams can literally abandon him on the P&R and double the ball handler. He's not a threat. Walker has length and experience, which is why I hope they get one more non conference game in this off week so they can make his suspension go from 8 to 7 games. I need to see him first, but they need to try him 

22 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

I want Lat shooting 7-8 threes a game, contested or not.  That gives us way more chances than him dribbling or passing.  Just shoot it dude.  You're 6'9".  Some of them will go in.  

15 hours ago, HB said:

You're doing your whipping boy thing, like you did with Sek.  We have a helluva lot more problems than just Yvan.   We get it.   You're down on him.  Let it rest.  If you think that's our only problem, you haven't been watching closely.

While Yvan might not be the only problem for this team, his ineffectiveness on the offensive end effectively throws a stick in the spokes of this offense. One of the most effective components of this offense is kicking the ball inside, which leads to either an easy 2’ shot, or an open kick-out 3 (which is arguably the highest percentage 3 PT shot in this offense). The kick out 3PT shot would make an enormous difference for our entire offense, but most notably for Lat, because he is the least capable of creating his own shot.

I’ve seen multiple times guys like Allen, Banton, Trey, etc... literally look right at Yvan and, even though they could easily get him the ball, they choose not to (likely because they realize it’s basically like a turnover to give him the ball, even though every now and then the blind squirrel finds a nut). So they keep the ball moving around the perimeter, which doesn’t stress the defensive rotation and doesn’t generate kick out 3 PT shots for guys like Lat to get their open looks. 

And the lack of that high percentage 3 PT threat allows the defense to sag and help and take away driving lanes to the hoop.

And my guess is that if Lat was getting his open 3PT looks, he wouldn’t be putting the ball on the floor and trying to get to the rim to score...to me, that is a product of the fact that he knows that this offense needs him to be a contributor, so when he doesn’t get those 3s, he tries to force the issue by taking it to the rack, which his skill set isn’t adequate to do successfully.

Edited by Nebrasketballer

1 hour ago, Nebrasketballer said:

I’ve seen multiple times guys like Allen, Banton, Trey, etc... literally look right at Yvan and, even though they could easily get him the ball, they choose not to (likely because they realize it’s basically like a turnover to give him the ball, even though every now and then the blind squirrel finds a nut). So they keep the ball moving around the perimeter, which doesn’t stress the defensive rotation and doesn’t generate kick out 3 PT shots for guys like Lat to get their open looks. 

They also don't pass it in because he doesn't pass it back out. He has ONE assist on the season. Even if he can't score, if he could help the team if he passed better.

3 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

They also don't pass it in because he doesn't pass it back out. He has ONE assist on the season. Even if he can't score, if he could help the team if he passed better.

you'd think the'd be drilling this in practice with him. just a game of pass in/pass out around the perimeter in high speed, so they train him to do it without thinking. Maybe just don't have the time for it yet, but the guys could do that on their own. Doc did this with his bigs at Southern Miss. It's basically a medicine ball drill with a basketball. 

54 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Saw bits and pieces of that Marquette game.  Jays got up big in the first half, then they got dominated for a while.  Surprised to see they kept it to a 5 points loss.

Not sure the "they're a really good team" excuse is going to work for the Husker loss, as this season goes along. 

Still a long ways to go, so it's hard to really know how things are going to shake out.  But yeah, from what little I've seen from them I've felt that they have been horribly over-rated and have thought so all season.  (But I didn't want to say anything because it makes us look just that much worse in comparison to, say, our conference peers and I know this board's collective ego is fragile enough as it is)

But the petty side of me is taking some satisfaction in the thought.  😉

50 minutes ago, LK1 said:

We’re not a good matchup for high quality opposing point guards.  All three of our losses came from getting killed by PGs.  Our wings are better than CU’s, but they were way better at PG and C.  

That’s why we have a 5* PG and 4* C en route.  

Nebraska recruited McGowens as a PG? He seems like a 2 or a 3 to me.

3 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Saw bits and pieces of that Marquette game.  Jays got up big in the first half, then they got dominated for a while.  Surprised to see they kept it to a 5 points loss.

Not sure the "they're a really good team" excuse is going to work for the Husker loss, as this season goes along. 

I don’t think they are a final 4 team but don’t think they are over rated either. It took Marquette’s best game with Creighton's best player having an off night and the whole team choking FT’s to beat them. Will be surprised If they are not top 2-3 in big east and a top4 seed in the tourney, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Nebraska recruited McGowens as a PG? He seems like a 2 or a 3 to me.

He plays and guards PGs right now, so he's definitely serviceable.  He can definitely play 1-3 though.  On defense he'll guard 1s and 2s and likely allow Banton to guard the 3.  The fact that he's 6'6" and has elite guard skills/shooting is a big part of what makes him a 5*.  

Edited by LK1

3 hours ago, LK1 said:

We’re not a good matchup for high quality opposing point guards.  All three of our losses came from getting killed by PGs.  Our wings are better than CU’s, but they were way better at PG and C.  

That’s why we have a 5* PG and 4* C en route.  

Ehh, not sure I’d say our wings are better than theirs. These are just my opinions, but.... Mahoney would be the best player on our team. Ballock would start for most teams in the country. And Jefferson is just solid on both ends. I like our guys, but we’re likely on our way to a well below .500 year and Creighton is still a top 15 team.

59 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

This board is acting like Marquette is like losing to Nevada lol. I respect it though.  

Really? I don't see that at all. But, hey, I get it. A guy has to defend his homies. It's totally understandable for you to look at it that way.