uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 6 - @ Creighton

uneblinstu

1 hour ago, bleujay said:

Final score doesn't reflect how competitive this game was for 30 minutes. Turnovers and weak 3pt defense is what I thought gave creighton the advantage. 

You guys have a lot of talent that just needs more time together. Never seen so much talent on a nebraska team. Hoiberg already paying dividends. Good game, and good luck the rest of the season. 

Really think Hoiberg can turn this into a fun series. As mentioned in a prior post, I'm all about the in-state competition; Nebraska needs to get back to holding their end of the bargain to make the series tolerable however.

1 hour ago, coughunter said:

Ive said it before and i'll say it again.....Yvan is a liability and not a power 5 conf player, at least not one deserving of more than 10 mins a game if that.  Same with Thor.  Say what you want and come at me with all the things he does, but if/when this program takes the next step they need more quality players which will hopefully come.  The talent will need to be upgraded where players like Thor are bench players getting 12-15 mins.  8 man rotation isnt working with what we have right now. And god I hate Crayton

You can say it as much as you want, but you are still wrong.  Stubborn as a mule.

1 hour ago, LNKtrnsplnt said:

Yvan, although horrible on offense, can at least defend, rebound, and block shots. He outplayed lat tonight. If lat isn’t making 2-3 threes per game, he doesn’t deserve many minutes. Kind of a stiff. He’s a good shooter, but with his slow release we have to work hard to get him good shots. 

I think tonight should make the Stephenson over Thor crowd second guess their position. Yes, Stevenson is bulky enough to guard bigs, but that all depends on his effort. He’s not a threat from three, but is a threat to get at least one charge called on him per game. Not quick, not a ball handler, and not a passer. Thor all day. 

I’ve been saying it for a few games now, Lat is not shooting enough to make up for all the other horrible aspects of his game and Stevenson is the most underwhelming player on this team.  Tonight showed it again. Lat maybe doesn’t need to start and their is a reason Stevenson is the only guy left on the court when the Walk-ons and freshmen come in.

Edited by Keenan9595

3 hours ago, 49r said:

You have been talked about behind the scenes as being a closet Creighton fan.  You're not helping your case here. Just FYI.

Lol behind the scenes? What is this high school? What did I say was wrong? Please enlighten me. Sorry I hurt your feelings. 

Edited by OmahaHusker

9 hours ago, OurDecay said:

Gotta be honest...don’t like losing, but I’m sort of stunned by the (over)reaction to this game.  NU showed me in the first half that they have the pieces to develop into a competitive team someday. 

At this point, that’s the goal.  The key is some day.  It’s not going to turn around this fast.  The team in black tonight went 7-25 a year ago and is rolling out an almost entirely new roster that has barely played together.  The team in white is a fantastic program and a legit top-10 team.

You don’t get to skip steps and suddenly you are beating top-10 teams on the road.  There are no shortcuts.  We are clearly better than last year, but due to the weirdness of this year and the strength of the conference...we may have the same record.  And we need to be prepared for that.  This is a process.  Have to be patient.

Believe in Fred.

I do believe we need to be patient, but there is no reason this team should be blown out.  By anyone.  If, as you say, we are “clearly” better than last year (which I believe too), there is no way that we should lose games by 24 points.  Sure, we played tough for the first half... but last years team still only lost to Creighton by 19... this year we lost by 24.  It’s an overreaction to expect to win these games.  I don’t think it’s an overreaction at all to expect to be competitive.  Especially with this squad.  

44 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I do believe we need to be patient, but there is no reason this team should be blown out.  By anyone.  If, as you say, we are “clearly” better than last year (which I believe too), there is no way that we should lose games by 24 points.  Sure, we played tough for the first half... but last years team still only lost to Creighton by 19... this year we lost by 24.  It’s an overreaction to expect to win these games.  I don’t think it’s an overreaction at all to expect to be competitive.  Especially with this squad.  

Im not saying it’s not fair to expect this team to be competitive but the results should not be shocking. We have a team playing together for six games, coming on offseason during a pandemic in which the majority of them were separated and not on campus. Every single Creighton starter has been in their system for 3+years. 

On top of that, we don’t have any post presence right now. Yvan is just a body out there and that’s probably being generous at this point. We still need more talent. I like the 3 recruits we have coming in. Unless Hoiberg really likes Walker and Andre I hope they are out there looking for a big for next year. 

44 minutes ago, coughunter said:

Thats your opinion.  I dont see any value with Yvan right now, he's trending.  Theres just not enough pieces right now for this team

To be fair we have about 4-5 guys trending down over the last 3 games, we’ve had very little consistency game to game with individual players.  I’d say Thor and Dalano have been our most consistent players but Dalano has started to turn the ball over too much.  We aren’t consistent play from all three starting guards or our bench players.  Lat is more trending down more than Yvan right now and that’s what should worry people the most, we have a “sharpshooter” hi doesn’t shoot, can’t dribble, can’t play defense, can’t stay out of foul trouble and can’t rebound.  As of now he is a worse Kavas and that’s worrisome.  I’d be more comfortable putting Thor at the 4 and starting Kobe, bring lat off the bench and only have him focus on shooting.  

Long season ahead, both literally and metaphorically. What we're learning is that, as enamored as we are of every signee and transfer that make up our roster, some may be proving themselves unlikely to be in the eight- or nine-man rotation of a competitive Nebraska team, which we envision as starting next year.

I'm not going to sort out who those men are at this early date, and this current roster hasn't had time to prove itself as an amalgam yet. But I imagine that 2021-22 rotation may need only three or four of this year's rotation to make us into a team that doesn't get its doors blown off by ranked teams — and Georgia Tech.

33 minutes ago, Keenan9595 said:

To be fair we have about 4-5 guys trending down over the last 3 games, we’ve had very little consistency game to game with individual players.  I’d say Thor and Dalano have been our most consistent players but Dalano has started to turn the ball over too much.  We aren’t consistent play from all three starting guards or our bench players.  Lat is more trending down more than Yvan right now and that’s what should worry people the most, we have a “sharpshooter” hi doesn’t shoot, can’t dribble, can’t play defense, can’t stay out of foul trouble and can’t rebound.  As of now he is a worse Kavas and that’s worrisome.  I’d be more comfortable putting Thor at the 4 and starting Kobe, bring lat off the bench and only have him focus on shooting.  

Regarding Lat, could it be he's trending down due to teams recognizing he is our most consistent threat from 3 and they are taking him out of the equation? Lat isn't getting the space he needs to get his shot off in the last couple of games, so Fred needs to find more ways to get him open looks. As to his rebounding, he's tied for second at 5.8/game which isn't too bad considering he's usually going against bigger players in the post.

Bottom line is there are a lot of guys that need to do things better for this team to have a chance to win going forward. I'm not about moral victories, but the first half last night showed that we have enough talent to be competitive in conference with several teams.

12 hours ago, OurDecay said:

Gotta be honest...don’t like losing, but I’m sort of stunned by the (over)reaction to this game.  NU showed me in the first half that they have the pieces to develop into a competitive team someday. 

At this point, that’s the goal.  The key is some day.  It’s not going to turn around this fast.  The team in black tonight went 7-25 a year ago and is rolling out an almost entirely new roster that has barely played together.  The team in white is a fantastic program and a legit top-10 team.

You don’t get to skip steps and suddenly you are beating top-10 teams on the road.  There are no shortcuts.  We are clearly better than last year, but due to the weirdness of this year and the strength of the conference...we may have the same record.  And we need to be prepared for that.  This is a process.  Have to be patient.

Believe in Fred.

Great post. I do think this team will finish last in the conference again, but maybe if they return the key players (and kick loose those who can't contribute- you know who they are) then the newcomers might help NU crawl out of the cellar. This will take years to build. I'm resolutely behind Hoiberg, but it is going to be awful for a while. 

1 hour ago, hugh42 said:

Regarding Lat, could it be he's trending down due to teams recognizing he is our most consistent threat from 3 and they are taking him out of the equation? Lat isn't getting the space he needs to get his shot off in the last couple of games, so Fred needs to find more ways to get him open looks. As to his rebounding, he's tied for second at 5.8/game which isn't too bad considering he's usually going against bigger players in the post.

Bottom line is there are a lot of guys that need to do things better for this team to have a chance to win going forward. I'm not about moral victories, but the first half last night showed that we have enough talent to be competitive in conference with several teams.

I completely agree, whether it’s playcalling or Lat’s separation he isn’t getting open and therefore isn’t doing the one thing he was brought here to do and that’s troubling in the last 2 to 3 games he’s basically just been a fouling and turnover machine and it worries me that he might be getting phased out of the game with Like kavas was because of his limited skill set I’m not saying it can’t or won’t get turned around it’s just been a little troubling To watch over our first few games

Edited by Keenan9595

1 hour ago, Keenan9595 said:

I just dont see the value in Yvan, especially in this system.  He cant hit inside layups, ft shooting suspect, and outside shooting.  Hes just a body right now to try to get rebounds.  I thought him slimming down would mean more explosion but havent seen it

We are wasting scholarships with Ouedraogo and Arop. We shall see about Wood and Andre. If Wood doesn't see minutes on a team this bad it doesn't look good going forward. I have noted good teams sign freshmen who play. Rarely do good teams sign players who don't contribute as freshmen in some meaningful way, let alone horrible teams like NU. 

In any case, NU has no business throwing away scholarships particularly early in Hoiberg's tenure. They may not have a large window to sign real talent if they continue to vomit up wretched squads.

13 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

We are wasting scholarships with Ouedraogo and Arop. We shall see about Wood and Andre. If Wood doesn't see minutes on a team this bad it doesn't look good going forward. I have noted good teams sign freshmen who play. Rarely do good teams sign players who don't contribute as freshmen in some meaningful way, let alone horrible teams like NU. 

In any case, NU has no business throwing away scholarships particularly early in Hoiberg's tenure. They may not have a large window to sign real talent if they continue to vomit up wretched squads.

We've signed three guys that probably replace arop, Yvan, and thor (or if he returns, someone who transfers) our roster is 10X closer than last year. Next year we can all be pissed if we are losing by 20+ to top 10 teams

2 hours ago, Keenan9595 said:

We have seen Lat hit shots. We need another guy to be an offensive threat from deep and Lat will get open. 

Yvan, has some of the worst hands I’ve ever seen from a high major big. I’m not sure if that’s teachable. He has to play right now because we have no other option. But, I don’t see a future for him in this program. We will see if Hoiberg has the same feeling at years end. 

18 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

I want to see more from Arop. It's not fair to judge him when he hasn't been playing. He has a good shooting stroke. If he can groove that shot, and learn to play lockdown D (which he most definitely has the athleticism to do), then he could be an outstanding role player. We don't need him to be a ball handler if he can reliably knock down corner treys. Don't kick him to the curb just yet.

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I want to see more from Arop. It's not fair to judge him when he hasn't been playing. He has a good shooting stroke. If he can groove that shot, and learn to play lockdown D (which he most definitely has the athleticism to do), then he could be an outstanding role player. We don't need him to be a ball handler if he can reliably knock down corner treys. Don't kick him to the curb just yet.

I agree wholeheartedly with you. He would be a perfect 4 in Fred's system if his shot comes around in theory. He's going to be a redshirt freshman, give him time. 

32 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Rarely do good teams sign players who don't contribute as freshmen in some meaningful way

This parts just wrong though.  Sure, 1 and done freshman play right away, but good teams sign freshman all the time that don’t end up playing until they are Jrs and Srs.  Not every player is a “difference maker” and that’s ok.

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

We have seen Lat hit shots. We need another guy to be an offensive threat from deep and Lat will get open. 

Yvan, has some of the worst hands I’ve ever seen from a high major big. I’m not sure if that’s teachable. He has to play right now because we have no other option. But, I don’t see a future for him in this program. We will see if Hoiberg has the same feeling at years end. 

My only point is that for a guy who is supposed to be an elite shooter we haven’t seen elite shooting from him.  He even looks scared to shoot right now.  I know there is going to be attrition, wouldn’t be surprised to see any of Lat, Yvan, Stevenson or Arop move on, especially if Kobe or Thor come back.  I’m just worried about a guy who seems to only be getting detrimental stats for us at this time.  We won’t truly know how good our bigs are for another month or so, that could explain something’s or make things look worse.

5 hours ago, coughunter said:

I just dont see the value in Yvan, especially in this system.  He cant hit inside layups, ft shooting suspect, and outside shooting.  Hes just a body right now to try to get rebounds.  I thought him slimming down would mean more explosion but havent seen it

You're doing your whipping boy thing, like you did with Sek.  We have a helluva lot more problems than just Yvan.   We get it.   You're down on him.  Let it rest.  If you think that's our only problem, you haven't been watching closely.

Edited by HB

3 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Wood is a guaranteed transfer portal.    He is awful.  No way he can play at this level, in any phase of the game.  have no idea what the coach's saw in him.   

1 minute ago, HB said:

Wood is a guaranteed transfer portal.    He is awful.  No way he can play at this level, in any phase of the game.  have no idea what the coach's saw in him.   

He was a late addition for Kobe King that reclassified up. I didn't expect anything from him this year and not for a year or two. Essentially insurance in case Kobe or Trey have to sit for whatever reason.