uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 6 - @ Creighton

uneblinstu

4 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Yes, Creighton is a great team. To me, it’s still embarrassing when you get blown out by your instate rival that has beat you almost every time of your last 22 matchups (many of those blowouts) even though you are the state school with a significant advantage in terms of resources.

As in we have a better college of business?

When was the last time we had a booster step up the plate and offer a recruit $100K and a good job for his dad?

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

I almost hate to say this, but one thing is we need to get Eduardo Andre back, out onto the floor, and just see what he can do.

We need someone who can challenge the other team's length.

He's going to get thrown in the fire very early. Hopefully they get a makeup game in before Wisconsin. Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio State to start off. 

15 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

I hope we add a game this week. For a lot of reasons. One being that we'd have Walker for one more Big Ten game than we would otherwise. Gotta think he'd be a starter right now. 

I think Andre is clear to play on Wednesday or Thursday

Going a little deeper than "I am embarrassed"... there are still some positive things to take from this game.

• The offensive/defensive combo that we showed in the first half could catch a lot of teams off guard if we do that for a whole game.  Creighton just made some shots that first half.  If we catch a team on a cold night, we could be in a good position at half.
  • 25 turnovers is bad.  We've set a yearly record for turnovers each of our last three games.  Sigh.
  • Speaking of the TO's, that was the difference.  Creighton scored over 30 points off of our turnovers.
  • 42% from deep and Kobe was 1-5.  Rough night for Kobe, but better for everyone else.
  • That's two straight games that Trey has struggled with FT's.
  • Teddy played better tonight.
  • We're going to have to find Lat some shots to get him going early in a game.  It'd help if he stayed out of foul trouble though.
  • Bad, bad game for Stevenson tonight.  1-6 from the floor, looked lazy at times, and his three ball is just off.  They were leaving him wide open.
  • We look good when we run, but we have to also play defense.  It does no good to run, run run and score 25 points in a short span if you are going to give up 30 in that same span.
  • Creighton can shoot it.  They ended 14-30 but I think missed their last 2 or 3 at least.

Overall.. still embarrassing to lose the way that we did.  It's doubly embarrassing to lose like that to Creighton.  When you play a first half like you did each of the past two games... you shouldn't lose like we did each of the past two games.  We have to start playing better in the 2nd halves of games.  It isn't depth, because we have plenty.  We seem to lose focus on D after halftime.

Final score doesn't reflect how competitive this game was for 30 minutes. Turnovers and weak 3pt defense is what I thought gave creighton the advantage. 

You guys have a lot of talent that just needs more time together. Never seen so much talent on a nebraska team. Hoiberg already paying dividends. Good game, and good luck the rest of the season. 

Ive said it before and i'll say it again.....Yvan is a liability and not a power 5 conf player, at least not one deserving of more than 10 mins a game if that.  Same with Thor.  Say what you want and come at me with all the things he does, but if/when this program takes the next step they need more quality players which will hopefully come.  The talent will need to be upgraded where players like Thor are bench players getting 12-15 mins.  8 man rotation isnt working with what we have right now. And god I hate Crayton

5 minutes ago, coughunter said:

Ive said it before and i'll say it again.....Yvan is a liability and not a power 5 conf player, at least not one deserving of more than 10 mins a game if that.  Same with Thor.  Say what you want and come at me with all the things he does, but if/when this program takes the next step they need more quality players which will hopefully come.  The talent will need to be upgraded where players like Thor are bench players getting 12-15 mins.  8 man rotation isnt working with what we have right now. And god I hate Crayton

Jury's still out on Yuv here.  I try to remember that he is just 18... but it's not looking good.

You're absolutely wrong about Thor not being a power 5 conference player though.  He's not the most gifted athlete, but there's a reason that a former NBA coach kept him around and started him not just last year, but this year as well.

A few observations.  We are a very inexperienced team, in terms of playing together.  Also, we've got some dudes, but we're still lacking in some areas.  Creighton is 8 deep.  It's basically 3 against 8 playing them.  I think Creighton took advantage of the extra day and scouted us well.  You could tell that they knew when we were trying to run a set play for Lat.  And those turnovers on our drivers, they knew when to go for the steal when our guys turned their backs to the basket.  Lastly, we could have used Walker and Andre.  I don't know how different the outcome would have been tonight, but I look forward to what our team will look like with those guys in the rotation.  

5 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Jury's still out on Yuv here.  I try to remember that he is just 18... but it's not looking good.

You're absolutely wrong about Thor not being a power 5 conference player though.  He's not the most gifted athlete, but there's a reason that a former NBA coach kept him around and started him not just last year, but this year as well.

Didnt mean Thor isnt power 5 but not playing the mins he does.  He is a role player that shouldnt be starting and getting as many mins if this program wants to go where it needs to

Lat should be told he’ll get benched if he passes up another open three and then dribbles into a turnover. He has the potential to be an elite shooter from outside. He is also an adventure once he puts the ball on the floor.

Banton is so unique and interesting. I’m not sure he has a pure PG vision, I’ve seen quite a few bad passes that get picked off the past three games or so. Wish we had Walker. Shamiel is either engaged or just kind of out there. Trey and Teddy could be a tough load for opposing teams but we have to find an identity...

4 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Lat should be told he’ll get benched if he passes up another open three and then dribbles into a turnover. He has the potential to be an elite shooter from outside. He is also an adventure once he puts the ball on the floor.

Banton is so unique and interesting. I’m not sure he has a pure PG vision, I’ve seen quite a few bad passes that get picked off the past three games or so. Wish we had Walker. Shamiel is either engaged or just kind of out there. Trey and Teddy could be a tough load for opposing teams but we have to find an identity...

Problem with Lat is playing out of position and not having a 5 where he can play outside

6 minutes ago, hal9000 said:

A few observations.  We are a very inexperienced team, in terms of playing together.  Also, we've got some dudes, but we're still lacking in some areas.  Creighton is 8 deep.  It's basically 3 against 8 playing them.  I think Creighton took advantage of the extra day and scouted us well.  You could tell that they knew when we were trying to run a set play for Lat.  And those turnovers on our drivers, they knew when to go for the steal when our guys turned their backs to the basket.  Lastly, we could have used Walker and Andre.  I don't know how different the outcome would have been tonight, but I look forward to what our team will look like with those guys in the rotation.  

Expanding a bit on this and staying with my commitment to perspective about this game:

NU has a completely new roster that has been playing together for all of 6 games. The team from Omaha brought back nearly it’s entire roster from a team that won the Big East regular season title last year.

It sucks to lose, even more so to that team from Omaha in a blowout. But the difference between the 2 programs right now is massive - here’s hoping the gap begins to close someday.

Yvan, although horrible on offense, can at least defend, rebound, and block shots. He outplayed lat tonight. If lat isn’t making 2-3 threes per game, he doesn’t deserve many minutes. Kind of a stiff. He’s a good shooter, but with his slow release we have to work hard to get him good shots. 

I think tonight should make the Stephenson over Thor crowd second guess their position. Yes, Stevenson is bulky enough to guard bigs, but that all depends on his effort. He’s not a threat from three, but is a threat to get at least one charge called on him per game. Not quick, not a ball handler, and not a passer. Thor all day. 

Some notes from UNL

*-Teddy Allen’s 26 points was a collegiate career high, topping his previous D-1 career best of 24 against Coppin State on Dec. 10, 2017, when he was at West Virginia. It was Allen’s third 20-point game of the season. Allen also tied his career high with nine rebounds, which also came against Coppin State.
*-Nebraska hit a season-high 11 3-pointers, topping the previous high of 10 against McNeese State in the opener.  
*-Nebraska committed a season-high 25 turnovers, leading to 38 Creighton points.
*-Creighton was the first team to shoot over 50 percent against the Huskers in 2020-21.

I say it basically every year after this game. I’m so f-ing jealous of Creighton. Man it must be nice to be one of their fans.

They always:

Execute everything 

Play with zero hesitation  

Pass it hard, fast, and decisively

Everyone knows their role 

Have tight, smart game plans

Everyone plays supremely confidently

Recruit, retain, and DEVELOP

We on the other hand:

Seem to have players who get worse?

Revolving door of a roster

Zero identity no matter who the coach is.

Execute nothing

Seem to never have a discernible scout/strategy 

Edited by basketballjones

Late to the party here and haven't read anything from the board yet, but here's my takeaways:

• How many 2' shots did we miss in that game?
  • We need to minimize these 7-0 type of runs; feel like there were 5+ of these tonight
  • We started off fairly well, but we just couldn't keep up, and we had many breakdowns on defense
  • Free throws, free throws, free throws
  • Hoiberg had visible frustration, especially slamming the ball down; immediately after that the team temporarily responded and kept up the pace
  • There's certainly a talent gap; part of that losing out on shooting talent
  • Most points for the Bluejays against Nebraska kind of surprises me, but I don't think that's the end of it with Hoiberg teams, this sort of pace will continue to be a scoring battle between both teams
  • I completely embrace the competition, it's just frustrating we struggle to hold our end of the bargain in modern history in this series

Gotta be honest...don’t like losing, but I’m sort of stunned by the (over)reaction to this game.  NU showed me in the first half that they have the pieces to develop into a competitive team someday. 

At this point, that’s the goal.  The key is some day.  It’s not going to turn around this fast.  The team in black tonight went 7-25 a year ago and is rolling out an almost entirely new roster that has barely played together.  The team in white is a fantastic program and a legit top-10 team.

You don’t get to skip steps and suddenly you are beating top-10 teams on the road.  There are no shortcuts.  We are clearly better than last year, but due to the weirdness of this year and the strength of the conference...we may have the same record.  And we need to be prepared for that.  This is a process.  Have to be patient.

Believe in Fred.