uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 6 - @ Creighton

uneblinstu

• Loved how they came out of the gates and went toe-to-toe with CU. 
  • I like a lot about McGowens game. Maybe not his free throw shooting, but I love his toughness and attitude. He's not gonna back down.
  • Loved the baseline drive by Stevenson, not the forced 3's on his next two shots. He's a fierce rebound, too, which is sorely needed.
  • Mayan was a liability tonight. 
  • Yvan can rebound a bit, but he's a liability offensively. I think he'll be a good story in a couple years. It's rough right now.
  • Can't turn the ball over like they have the past two games. That's gotta get fixed.
  • NU actually shot pretty well from 3 tonight, but the turnovers and inability to stop CU's run just didn't give themselves a chance tonight.
  • McGowens had that pretty dunk to bring the margin to 4, I believe. That woke CU up. That's not how it's supposed to work.
  • We saw Banton's potential in the first half. He needs to be at least a marginal threat from 3. He's going to get a lot of defenders that are considerably shorter than him. If he can, he's gonna have a lot of opportunities to get to the rim off the dribble.
  • Thor seems like he found his shot again. That's really good news.
  • Free throw shooting continues to be an issue.
  • Looking at the box score, there's a lot of things look even. The big thing that jumps out at me is, when the teams emptied their benches, NU's A/T was 12/23 and CU was 23/13. 
  • NU's got talent to compete, but they're going to have to learn how to stay focused and disciplined for more than 20 minutes. A lot of that comes with experience and experience playing together. Maybe we see some of that develop more as the season progresses, maybe we see it next year. They'll win games more consistently when they get that figured out.

Lat took one shot. It was in the 2nd half and it was a three that was blocked by their center. Our best 3-point shooter took a single shot. That's a problem.

Turnovers were obviously the biggest problem.

Some huge defensive breakdowns, especially in the 2nd half.

Yeah, we have a lot of work to do.

Hopefully, the kids will remember this was a top 10 team they played tonight and not get too down on themselves. I don't want Fred losing this team. They need to dig deep. It's going to be a tough season. If the players quit on themselves, it'll be exponentially worse. 

-Nice to see Trey have a good half. We are going to need him to be more offensive. 
-Thor finally hit some shots. Hopefully that gets him going. 
-Lat does nothing for us if he’s not getting shots

-Drago, still young but he doesn’t appear to be a Big Ten player. Not even sure if he’s a mid major quality big at this point. 

25 turnovers - ballgame. As good as the bluebirds 100+K players shoot it, you can't turn it over even 12 times and win, let alone double that.

I imagine the BCN (Big Creighton Network) will go back to being BTN for the Iowa-ISU game? The announcers were fine, but, wow, the production people needed to rethink that broadcast. Felt like the bluebirds were the Big Ten conference member with all of the bluebird garbage into and out of timeouts.

I get it that those bluebird fans put on their red watch BTN religiously during football season before they pull the sweater vests out of the back of the closet, so BCN was trying to cater to them for a couple of hours, but wow.

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Robin said it best in a tweet... it was embarrassing.  Again.

Eh, I wouldn't exactly call that embarrassing. CU's an excellent team. I thought NU showed some of what they're capable of and learned a valuable lesson about needing to stay focused for more than 25 minutes. Everyone knows what CU's capable of. It's not embarrassing to get blown out by them. I thought the Georgia Tech game was way more embarrassing.

I would guess the difference in points off turnovers was pretty close to the difference in the final score. 

Trey, Teddy, Dalano and Thor were all 50% or above from the field and from three tonight. We shot the ball well. But when you have 25 offensive possessions where you don't get to attempt a shot, you're going to get beat handily. 

Teddy and Shamiel have too many possessions on defense where they give zero effort. You just can't have that at this level. The lack of mental toughness with those two and Lat is concerning. 

Trey and Thor played well tonight. 

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Lat took one shot. It was in the 2nd half and it was a three that was blocked by their center. Our best 3-point shooter took a single shot. That's a problem.

Lat's body language the last two games has been awful - almost seems like he has come to realize he is going to get beat up on the defensive end for the next 3 months and he's mentally checking out or feeling sorry for himself.

Physically, he's not built to bang with the dudes he's going to be seeing the next 20 games. Mentally, he's getting in early foul trouble trying to guard those guys and becoming frustrated.

Gotta wonder if we don't eventually make a switch there and have Yvan or Stevenson start and bring Mayan off the bench, just to give him a mental break and maybe match up against some backup 5s or some smaller 5s.

I’m going to maintain some perspective on this one - as much as it pains me to say it, the team from Omaha is legit top 10, really ****ing good.

After 6 games:

• There’s entirely too much 1:1 stuff and very little ball movement.
  • This team cannot offensively overpower anyone.
  • The relative success of this season lies entirely on embracing the idea of being complete pains in the ass on defense. 

That’s it - I’m going to watch and keep hoping they show progress. 

2 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Eh, I wouldn't exactly call that embarrassing. CU's an excellent team. I thought NU showed some of what they're capable of and learned a valuable lesson about needing to stay focused for more than 25 minutes. Everyone knows what CU's capable of. It's not embarrassing to get blown out by them. I thought the Georgia Tech game was way more embarrassing.

CU is a great team-- still embarrassing though the way that we lost.  No reason to be down 25-28 points... to anyone.

They should have learned that lesson on Wednesday.

It's embarrassing to get blown out... by anyone.

I was embarrassed by both second halves and overall... both games.

I didn't watch due to work. Looks like Thor found his shot, Allen heated up, lat got in foul trouble early and shamiel still hasn't hit a 3. 

Getting Lat easy shots is going to be very key to this offense and how it functions. I'm going to assume without watching he was catching it with little space between him and the defender, which won't work with him. 

Might go back and watch later tomorrow

Edited by thrasher31

One thing on assists... anyone else notice how EASY some of them were for Creighton? I mean passing ahead to wide open guys that we can't locate isn't necessarily revolutionary basketball. I think a bug difference in assist numbers can down to our rotational breakdowns which felt tenfold to theirs 

Edited by MichHusker

7 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

I didn't watch due to work. Looks like Thor found his shot, Allen heated up, lat got in foul trouble early and shamiel still hasn't hit a 3. 

Getting Lat easy shots is going to be very key to this offense and how it functions. I'm going to assume without watching he was catching it with little space between him and the defender, which won't work with him. 

He didn't have a lot of space and really doesn't have much aggression. Is it just me or is he almost exclusively receiving and shooting the  ball from the top of the key. If he's not going to shoot unless he's open it seems like being parked in a corner would be preferred.

One thing he could learn from Thor is one way to create some space for your shot is to shoot from NBA range. Thor's shots were from DEEP tonight and they finally started falling

8 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Yes, Creighton is a great team. To me, it’s still embarrassing when you get blown out by your instate rival that has beat you almost every time of your last 22 matchups (many of those blowouts) even though you are the state school with a significant advantage in terms of resources.