How I loathe Creighton...(let us count the ways)

Handy Johnson

19 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

From Paul Silas, Tom Apke, Kevin McKenna & Big Ben to Rodney Buford & Doug McDermott, feel free to share any Bluejay related stories & why we have come to despise them over the years... A Husker win tonight evens the All-time series BTW. 

Joe Dabbert was years removed from the NU-CU rivalry; Shang Ping wasn't yet a part of it. But in that summer league game, when the CU recruits went up against the Husker recruits, they brought Joe out of mothballs so they'd have a big in the game.

And he's honestly just a dick.

Shang Ping had no idea why this guy was acting like such an asshole in what should have been a friendly summer league game, but it nearly came to blows between the two of them. They had to be separated. And you could just see Ping's expression was like "WTF is wrong with you?"

Generally, I hate Creighton fans more than Creighton players. But I do make exceptions for Joe Dabbert. And the execrable Jimmy Motz.

The guy I met in October one year at a Nebraska football game. It was two days before the traditional mid-October start to basketball practice, and a friend and I started discussing the greatness of Nate Johnson and how the Huskers might have a shot at the tourney this year. Another person — SOMEONE NEITHER OF US KNEW, but similarly dressed in red — butted in to tell us that he was a fan of "the only basketball team in the state that mattered: Creighton."

THAT guy.

32 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Joe Dabbert was years removed from the NU-CU rivalry; Shang Ping wasn't yet a part of it. But in that summer league game, when the CU recruits went up against the Husker recruits, they brought Joe out of mothballs so they'd have a big in the game.

And he's honestly just a dick.

Shang Ping had no idea why this guy was acting like such an asshole in what should have been a friendly summer league game, but it nearly came to blows between the two of them. They had to be separated. And you could just see Ping's expression was like "WTF is wrong with you?"

Generally, I hate Creighton fans more than Creighton players. But I do make exceptions for Joe Dabbert. And the execrable Jimmy Motz.

I played pick-up ball with Jimmy when I was in junior high (he was a couple years younger than I).  His mom was my gym teacher at the time.

He certainly didn't show flashes then of the player he would become.  I would have loved to have seen him in red.  But alas...

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

My cousin, who is a creighton fan, lived on the same dorm floor as Nate Funk. He watched Funk push a student down a flight of stairs. Said he would pick fights with anyone for no apparent reason and was just a giant ass hole. 

Sounds like a story that my doctor who played on the Nebraska 70 &71 NCT. He says that a certain player would pick fights with his fellow team mates in the dorms. He didn't care how big or who you were, he was going to fight you. and the more the merrier for him. 

A buddy and I got some nice lower bowl seats for the NIT game in Omaha when Nate Johnson hit the game winning shot. As the Blue team fans were leaving some old dude tried to shoulder me. Too bad I didn't budge when he hit me.

I had several Creighton Prep kids in my fraternity that never cared about basketball unless it was against Nebraska and then wouldn't shut their mouths afterwards.

I also can't stand John Bishop

I respect them more now that they are in an actual conference and we aren't their super bowl.

But I also think they are shady hypocrites and are going to get caught by the NCAA at some point.

I also think they know Fred is a dude and a serious threat to their status as soon as next season.  Just look at how much better Fred was at ISU.  It was an incredible contrast between the quality of coaching between Fred and the Creighton guy, and he didn't have to pay anyone to get it done.  

16 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If there was a support group for dumbass guys on radio, John Bishop would be the President.

John, if you read this, I've been offering you this advice for going on 20 years: You aren't that funny; quit pretending that you are.

Didn't he used to do some work for UNL.

I am an outlier here.  Nebraska is my team and my dream is for them to win one, one NCAA Tournament game before I depart this mortal coil.  I am 69 and running out f years! That being said, I pull for Creighton in their other games.  It’s been that way since Red McManus was the Coach.  I still feel bad in that loss to KU in 74 that the Eddie Sutton team would make the Sweet 16.

OK, I am ready for the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune to come my way.

Just now, Bugeaters1 said:

Didn't he used to do some work for UNL.

I think he did baseball PBP for awhile. He has a decent broadcasting voice. But he tries way too hard to be funny and he's just not that funny. And he's not very bright, either. He has said some things over the years that have left me literally shaking my head and some things that just downright pissed me off. One time, I called Broadcast House and tried to gently explain to him how something he did was not good news reporting -- and I mean I was being very diplomatic about it -- and he got frustrated and hung up on me. After that it was like, ok, gloves off. He's an idiot and I'm not going to shy away from saying so.

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

I think he did baseball PBP for awhile. He has a decent broadcasting voice. But he tries way too hard to be funny and he's just not that funny. And he's not very bright, either. He has said some things over the years that have left me literally shaking my head and some things that just downright pissed me off. One time, I called Broadcast House and tried to gently explain to him how something he did was not good news reporting -- and I mean I was being very diplomatic about it -- and he got frustrated and hung up on me. After that it was like, ok, gloves off. He's an idiot and I'm not going to shy away from saying so.

I think he also did the PA for womens basketball for a while. But I could be wrong on that.

9 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

I am an outlier here.  Nebraska is my team and my dream is for them to win one, one NCAA Tournament game before I depart this mortal coil.  I am 69 and running out f years! That being said, I pull for Creighton in their other games.  It’s been that way since Red McManus was the Coach.  I still feel bad in that loss to KU in 74 that the Eddie Sutton team would make the Sweet 16.

Well, if you want slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, you picked the right team to follow. That's us.

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

I can't watch this game with my Dad because he acts inappropriately.  He gets made when I say Fuck crayon.