So much for the ISU turned it around in Year 2 comparisons....

This isn't a 2-year rebuild like at ISU. When Fred arrived at ISU, there was a much more fertile transfer market available to him (because it wasn't as much of a  thing back then; you could pick up some bargains; now, more coaches have figured out that's a place to find talent.) He was able to raise the talent level at ISU a lot more quickly.

I think year 3 is where you should start to see a little better product on the floor for us. I've been noting the increased emphasis on shooters. Those guys won't be available until next season. In the meantime, where Fred's 2nd team at ISU had all 6 of his top 6 guys shooting at least 30% from three, Fred's 2nd team at UN-L has only 2 such players.

Compare:

with

That's a big difference. And, FWIW, the ISU guys all hit that arbitrary minimum of 50 attempts that I talked about in a different thread.

Bottom line: We need more guys who can flat out shoot the ball.

28 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

This isn't a 2-year rebuild like at ISU. When Fred arrived at ISU, there was a much more fertile transfer market available to him (because it wasn't as much of a  thing back then; you could pick up some bargains; now, more coaches have figured out that's a place to find talent.) He was able to raise the talent level at ISU a lot more quickly.

I think year 3 is where you should start to see a little better product on the floor for us. I've been noting the increased emphasis on shooters. Those guys won't be available until next season. In the meantime, where Fred's 2nd team at ISU had all 6 of his top 6 guys shooting at least 30% from three, Fred's 2nd team at UN-L has only 2 such players.

Compare:

with

That's a big difference. And, FWIW, the ISU guys all hit that arbitrary minimum of 50 attempts that I talked about in a different thread.

Bottom line: We need more guys who can flat out shoot the ball.

And all those shooters were just what Royce White, the versatile 6’8” point guard, needed to be able to best use his playmaking ability. 
Banton’s game would be best suited alongside a handful of knock down shooters. There’s not a lot of room for him to operate right now in the half court right now. That makes what he’s done so far even more impressive. Excited to see what he can do with more shooters around him. 

11 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

And all those shooters were just what Royce White, the versatile 6’8” point guard, needed to be able to best use his playmaking ability. 
Banton’s game would be best suited alongside a handful of knock down shooters. There’s not a lot of room for him to operate right now in the half court right now. That makes what he’s done so far even more impressive. Excited to see what he can do with more shooters around him. 

That's exactly right. Banton, not being much of a shooter himself, needs a supporting cast with a bunch of shooters. And he doesn't have them. Yet.

Next year is when the dead-eye shooters arrive. And I'm counting on at least 3.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Agreed on every point, but I'd like to know who you think those six players will be next year who shoot between 31 and 46 percent from deep with at least 50 attempts each. And if those six (of the 10 below) are taking that many shots, is there room in the rotation for guys like Walker, Ouedraogo, Andre and Arop?

1. B. McGowens
  2. T. McGowens
  3. Allen
  4. Webster (if he's back)
  5. Mayen
  6. Banton
  7. Tominaga
  8. Lakes
  9. Stevenson
  10. Breidenbach

4 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Agreed on every point, but I'd like to know who you think those six players will be next year who shoot between 31 and 46 percent from deep with at least 50 attempts each. And if those six (of the 10 below) are taking that many shots, is there room in the rotation for guys like Walker, Ouedraogo, Andre and Arop?

1. B. McGowens
  2. T. McGowens
  3. Allen
  5. Mayen
  6. Banton
  7. Tominaga
  8. Lakes
  9. Stevenson
  10. Breidenbach

1,3,4,5,7,8. Maybe 2 and 10.

2 hours ago, jayschool said:

1. B. McGowens
  2. T. McGowens
  3. Allen
  5. Mayen
  6. Banton
  7. Tominaga
  8. Lakes
  9. Stevenson
  10. Breidenbach

I don't know that we'll have six guys over 30% (or, as ISU had, five guys at nearly 35% or better.) What I think we will have is a team that has a lot more shooters on it than this one does.

I think there are three newcomers who would shock me if they shot under 35% from beyond the arc next year. And those guys are Tominaga, Lakes, and Bryce McGowens in that order. I fully expect Mayen will be in that group, which would give us 4. I don't know that Lakes necessarily gets enough reps to get 50 attempts on the season, but the other guys should.

After that, we have guys who can get to the rack pretty well. And our drivers will be more successful when we have good shooters on the floor to space the defense out.

3 hours ago, Vinny said:
3 hours ago, jayschool said:

1. B. McGowens
  2. T. McGowens
  3. Allen
  5. Mayen
  6. Banton
  7. Tominaga
  8. Lakes
  9. Stevenson
  10. Breidenbach
Expand  

1,3,4,5,7,8. Maybe 2 and 10.