So much for the ISU turned it around in Year 2 comparisons....

Hoiberg reminded the media how the second ISU team really turned it around in the second year. Yes, and so did Oklahoma football in Stoops' second year. What the bloody, f*****g hell does that have to do with Nebraska?

Once again NU stinks. Once again they have no inside game. None! Once again, no consistent shooting. Neither from the floor, from the three, nor from the line.

And once again I wish someone could tell me why Ouedraogo has a scholarship on a Big Ten team. Same with Arop (who wouldn't have helped had he not been injured) since he can't shoot well either (notice the theme).  Nothing from freshman Wood either. Great! My guess is he was a lure for B. McGowens and nothing more.

I will be surprised if Andre gives us anything when he returns given his all-too-familiar biography: the the 'new to the game but really talented' rap. Good teams almost never have freshmen/sophomores who don't play at all only to blossom later. It is highly correlative that a good player plays early on or not at all. They will get Walker back so thankfully we won't have to see Ouedraogo play anymore but it won't make much difference in the win/loss column.

Look at the schedule NU has to look forward to: Creighton, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan, Purdue, Rutgers and the rest of the conference.... Nebraska has no chance of consistently winning against these type of teams. No chance. I have been watching and studying NU for decades and I already know this team has no chance to be good, or likely even decent. Every year we seem like a team from Division II arbitrarily sent to a conference out of their class.

Initially I guardedly thought we had a chance to reverse fortune with Hoiberg yet here we are doing our annual embarrassing disappearing act. Their position in cellar again looks secure for another year. Perhaps next year their "heralded recruiting class" will help them climb into the 12th or 13th position.

I find this perplexing because Hoiberg has a sterling national reputation. He is reputedly a brilliant basketball mind yet we see the same rotten product on the court that we have  seen for decades. It doesn't seem to matter whether Hoiberg is coaching or it is coached by all the lousy ones who preceded him. I have several old friends who think there is something more ominous and ineluctable afoot here, though that is a topic for the more esoterically inclined....

In summary, after all the delusional, pathologically optimistic contributors to this forum tell me to go away due to my negativity, refer back to this post on 7 March after Northwestern finishes boat-racing NU, which should leave them sitting at something like 0-20 or 2-18 in conference play and then tell me I'm wrong. Friends, our team is shit. We are shit in football, we are shit in baseball and we are double-shit in our beloved basketball. So mote it be.

You my friend... need a beer... or two to take the edge off.  We’re 5 games into the second year.  Maybe this post would make sense later in the year if we’re sitting 0-10 in conference play.  Maybe it would make sense if we had lost a game or two like last year.  We haven’t done either yet.  Let’s chill a second.  We have a better record than Duke currently.  Yes I realize that probably won’t be by the end of the year.  Yes I know who our two losses are against and who they lost to.  But the fact that we have a better record than Duke tells me it’s wayyyyy to early for a post like this.

37 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Good teams almost never have freshmen/sophomores who don't play at all only to blossom later. It is highly correlative that a good player plays early on or not at all. 

Two things

1. The entire Bo Ryan era was built on Freshmen/Sophomores not playing at all and blossoming later.  Experience and development matter.

2. More ammunition for @basketballjones  argument that Kevin Cross is good.

Yikes, this feels like decades of pent up frustration spewing out all at once.  I truly hope that was therapeutic for you and you feel better.  I honestly don't know, nor can anyone know, whether the conclusions you have drawn from a 5 game sample and applied over the remainder of the year will hold up.  Even if we do only win somewhere between 0-5 BIG games this year, I'm still not sure you can draw such sweeping conclusions on the direction of the basketball program.  A lot will depend on how the team looks, evolves, and improves as the year goes on.  This team needs consistency, with a core group of players who return year in and year out.  We can't continue to turn over 80%+ of our roster and expect sustainable success, unless we are truly recruiting at the levels of a blue blood, which I currently find unlikely.  I have a feeling that Fred has identified a core group on the current roster to help build the necessary foundation.  I suspect we still have 2-3 kids transfer out, which would be on par with national averages, but I do think we start to see some consistency in the roster.  Keep in mind that Fred and his staff had to put together a team last season in something like 30 days.  It's no surprise most of those kids have left.  There was a reason most were available to Nebraska at such a late stage.  I know this is cliché, but last year to me was really Year 0.  This is year 1 with 1 full recruiting cycle under their belts.  I do expect to see improvement this year but I've always said, as has many others on the board, that I don't expect this thing to really start to take off until next year.  I'm excited about the future and will endure another year of growing pains because I do think the payoff is coming!

And, I'm not sure how we really know what we have this year until Walker and Andre show us what they've got.  Those are two big bodies we are dearly missing.

I can't blame you for losing faith but man, you've stuck with Nebrasketball for likely decades.  Fred is an elite coach, give him some time.

It’s just basketball man, there are better reasons to be dead inside, trust me, I’m going on 15 years of being devoid of hope and emotion.  It might be bad for my mental health, but at least get I to wear eye liner, paint my nails black with a sharpie and listen to AFI and My Chemical Romance whenever I want.  

2 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Hoiberg reminded the media how the second ISU team really turned it around in the second year. Yes, and so did Oklahoma football in Stoops' second year. What the bloody, f*****g hell does that have to do with Nebraska?

Once again NU stinks. Once again they have no inside game. None! Once again, no consistent shooting. Neither from the floor, from the three, nor from the line.

And once again I wish someone could tell me why Ouedraogo has a scholarship on a Big Ten team. Same with Arop (who wouldn't have helped had he not been injured) since he can't shoot well either (notice the theme).  Nothing from freshman Wood either. Great! My guess is he was a lure for B. McGowens and nothing more.

I will be surprised if Andre gives us anything when he returns given his all-too-familiar biography: the the 'new to the game but really talented' rap. Good teams almost never have freshmen/sophomores who don't play at all only to blossom later. It is highly correlative that a good player plays early on or not at all. They will get Walker back so thankfully we won't have to see Ouedraogo play anymore but it won't make much difference in the win/loss column.

Look at the schedule NU has to look forward to: Creighton, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan, Purdue, Rutgers and the rest of the conference.... Nebraska has no chance of consistently winning against these type of teams. No chance. I have been watching and studying NU for decades and I already know this team has no chance to be good, or likely even decent. Every year we seem like a team from Division II arbitrarily sent to a conference out of their class.

Initially I guardedly thought we had a chance to reverse fortune with Hoiberg yet here we are doing our annual embarrassing disappearing act. Their position in cellar again looks secure for another year. Perhaps next year their "heralded recruiting class" will help them climb into the 12th or 13th position.

I find this perplexing because Hoiberg has a sterling national reputation. He is reputedly a brilliant basketball mind yet we see the same rotten product on the court that we have  seen for decades. It doesn't seem to matter whether Hoiberg is coaching or it is coached by all the lousy ones who preceded him. I have several old friends who think there is something more ominous and ineluctable afoot here, though that is a topic for the more esoterically inclined....

In summary, after all the delusional, pathologically optimistic contributors to this forum tell me to go away due to my negativity, refer back to this post on 7 March after Northwestern finishes boat-racing NU, which should leave them sitting at something like 0-20 or 2-18 in conference play and then tell me I'm wrong. Friends, our team is shit. We are shit in football, we are shit in baseball and we are double-shit in our beloved basketball. So mote it be.

Moses Wright averaged 3.6 points on 31% shooting as a freshman at Ga Tech.

Whether you like it or not, this is essentially year 1 of Hoiberg. It was a complete rebuild. Miles did not leave him with much, the players that were left over did not garner any high major attention when they transferred. That should tell you something. 

We have some talent on this roster that we can look forward to. Banton is a very good player and just a sophomore. We have a 5 star signed in this class. Yes, we need a big man(I dont Think Yvan is it). But let’s see what Walker and Andre brings. 

Brad Underwood went 14-18 and 12-21 his first two years at Illinois. I’m not saying our trajectory is that we are going to be a top ten team in two years but it’s going to take some time and development. We are going to take our lumps again this year because the Big Ten is damn good. But I think we will continue to get better as a program under Hoiberg. 

Man I'm seeing the exact opposite. I am really excited about the talent level on this team. Is there a bunch to clean up? Sure. Do they look like they have only played 5 games together as a team? Most definitely.

I am taking the outlook with basketball like I did with football this year. The Covid season is 27 scrimmages and its only purpose is to get better for the start of next season. 

9 hours ago, Keenan9595 said:

It’s just basketball man, there are better reasons to be dead inside, trust me, I’m going on 15 years of being devoid of hope and emotion.  It might be bad for my mental health, but at least get I to wear eye liner, paint my nails black with a sharpie and listen to AFI and My Chemical Romance whenever I want.  

wait when did you start doing this?  I won't tell your mother!