Kobe Webster appreciation

I’m going to admit, like perhaps a few other fans, I allowed the bigger names of Kobe King, Trey McGowens, and Teddy Allen consume my transfer news and really didn’t give much thought into the news of Kobe Webster deciding to join us. I was impressed to hear he averaged around 17 ppg. Honestly, he’s been the most pleasant surprise and in my opinion, a luxury we frankly haven’t had in quite some time, a legitimate double digit scorer coming off the bench. Obviously his outside shooting has been very good, but he’s crafty and a more capable lane driver and mid range shooter than I originally thought. I also have heard Coach Hoiberg say he’s one of the leaders and he loves everything he’s about. Would love for him to get another year and come back, if possible. For now, I’ll just enjoy having some scoring punch off the bench. 

30 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

mid range shooter than I originally thought

According to hoops-math.com he basically shot 42-43% from mid-range at Western Illinois which is quite good.  He spent 3 years there taking the majority of the shots and with the other team knowing he was going to take the majority of the shots.  He is a tough shot maker which is why I think he could be our closer when the other team is playing tough man coverage. He comes off as more of an undersized combo guard for us than a PG though.

What do people think of him defensively? 

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

What do people think of him defensively? 

Well, you asked.  He's small and not that quick laterally for someone his size. He also seems late on rotations, although that could be a matter of not being in the system long enough. This analytics site has him as our worst defender by far in the 8-man rotation:

https://evanmiya.com/

(use the team breakdown tool)

Offensively, he's our Vinnie Johnson.

3 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Well, you asked.  He's small and not that quick laterally for someone his size. He also seems late on rotations, although that could be a matter of not being in the system long enough. This analytics site has him as our worst defender by far in the 8-man rotation:

https://evanmiya.com/

(use the team breakdown tool)

Offensively, he's our Vinnie Johnson.

Thanks, I had a feeling that the answer was going to along those lines. 

I need to rethink the concept of him closing out games given that stopping the other team is part of the equation.

9 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

He’s smaller than basically everyone else, but I do like his quickness and he has pretty good handles offensively. I don’t really see him as a defensive liability. 

I would like him to start at pg.  The difference I feel from last year to this is speed.  Curious what NE shot time per poss is this year to last.  I love Banton and is super talented but not sure his role is best served at pg with this team and how Fred wants to play.  Love to see Banton in more of a Roby role that can do everything but not be main ball handler.

1 minute ago, coughunter said:

I would like him to start at pg.  The difference I feel from last year to this is speed.  Curious what NE shot time per poss is this year to last.  I love Banton and is super talented but not sure his role is best served at pg with this team and how Fred wants to play.  Love to see Banton in more of a Roby role that can do everything but not be main ball handler.

I like Kobe coming off the bench only because I fear there wouldn't be enough shots to go around if he starts.  If he starts, he probably replaces Thor is one of the most selfless players we have.  When he comes off the bench, he usually replaces a "scorer" and therefore is able to get more shots.  For me, it's all about how many minutes he plays.  He played 28 last night-- third highest and better than 3 of the starters.  I am ok with that amount of minutes and him coming off the bench.

31 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I like Kobe coming off the bench only because I fear there wouldn't be enough shots to go around if he starts.  If he starts, he probably replaces Thor is one of the most selfless players we have.  When he comes off the bench, he usually replaces a "scorer" and therefore is able to get more shots.  For me, it's all about how many minutes he plays.  He played 28 last night-- third highest and better than 3 of the starters.  I am ok with that amount of minutes and him coming off the bench.

Agreed.  Thor isnt giving much scoring wise starting.  Webster IMO doesnt need to be a huge scorer.  

10 minutes ago, coughunter said:

Agreed.  Thor isnt giving much scoring wise starting.  Webster IMO doesnt need to be a huge scorer.  

Thor last night was a guy giving us easy baskets in a game where we spent the majority of the night trying to make hard ones.

Just off the top of my head there was his board crash for an easy lay in, the pass to a cutting Mayen for an easy layup, and the offensive rebound to Kobe for a second chance 3.  Shot attempts aren't the end all.

3 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Thor last night was a guy giving us easy baskets in a game where we spent the majority of the night trying to make hard ones.

Just off the top of my head there was his board crash for an easy lay in, the pass to a cutting Mayen for an easy layup, and the offensive rebound to Kobe for a second chance 3.  Shot attempts aren't the end all.

So much this— we don’t need Thor to score when he starts.  We need him to rebound and make selfless plays.  He did that last night.  5 assists!!  I also think we need Kobe to be a scorer.  100%.  He’s our biggest 3 point threat right now.

I mentioned it in another thread, but having him off the bench for us is such a luxury that we haven't had in years past. His role is to just come in and score the ball and he's done that pretty well for us this year. If continues this throughout big ten play, he'll be in consideration for 6th man of the year in the conference.