Illinois(2-1) vs. Nebraska (2-0) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

If the women want to teach the men how to shoot FT’s, the men can teach the women how to dunk.  I feel like it’s a good trade for both parties!  Haha!
The women usually don't shoot as well as they did last night from the free-throw line although looks like we might have a couple players that can shoot free throws well

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, mwm89 said:

TGFSH....Thank God For Sam Haiby.  Her and Bourne most of the offense.  And though Cravens seems a bit offensively challenged (tho she seems to cut to the basket well) she well more than made up for it with 16 rb and some scrappy D.  We will need players to know and play their roles very well this season.  We're only 3 games in so time to build chemistry on the court.  GBR!!

Having Bella start last night was a better move than expected.

I understand part of the reason Bella came here .....to improve her overall game. Offensively in particular.  Last night she was constantly fouled and pounded on...hard to do much when your getting beat up by three others at the same time.

Her brief post game interview was interesting.  

She very articulate... and no nonsense. Tough mentality.  She likes the crashing and banging it takes to rebound.  Good on her feet and anticipates extremely well.  Takes pride in the process.  ....most girls don't think like that. (not stereotyping here folks)  ...and she is more aware and has a high BBall IQ and is more knowledgeable about the game than I realized. 

Wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Bella score more by mid season, if not sooner. 

Sam anticipates rebounding well too...just not the crasher Bella is.      Not many are.

Edited by redsteve

Well Cain looked like she had lead in her shoes a good part of the game but another 3 block night. Really do need her on the offensive end. Haiby and Bourne picked up the slack but that will not happen every night. I liked Bourne at the three. Sounds like from Craven's post game interview that they just worked on it the past couple of days with her, Cain, and Bourne on the court at the same time. I expected Craven to be a little light on offense but she did not disappoint on the defensive end. I can see her staying in the starting lineup or Williams using that rotation quite a bit. Quite a few rough spots (inbound off a dead ball to name one) but will see how they progress. Nice to see them finish in the four quarter. 

We also got screwed twice on incorrect calls by the refs when they said we were the last ones to touch the ball before it went out of bounds.  The one in the last two minutes was reviewed and was very obvious Illinois touched it last.  If they didn't have the review we all saw then my question is why not.  The other bad call was in the first quarter the Skoggins was driving to the hoop from the left side and Illinois tipped it away.  The ball actually hit the out of bounds line under the basket and was grabbed by an Illinois player.  Their point guard took it the full court for a lay up. Should have been our ball.

25 minutes ago, HUD said:

We also got screwed twice on incorrect calls by the refs when they said we were the last ones to touch the ball before it went out of bounds.  The one in the last two minutes was reviewed and was very obvious Illinois touched it last.  If they didn't have the review we all saw then my question is why not.  The other bad call was in the first quarter the Skoggins was driving to the hoop from the left side and Illinois tipped it away.  The ball actually hit the out of bounds line under the basket and was grabbed by an Illinois player.  Their point guard took it the full court for a lay up. Should have been our ball.

The last play that you are talking about, is that the one where everyone stopped?

The one where everyone stopped was within the last 2 minutes of the game.  Bourne was right there and the ref initially said she touched it last.  They then reviewed for a long time but still gave the ball to Illinois.  The review on TV definitely showed Bourne didn't touch it.  They need to get their crappy calls right.  Could cost you a game.

The other one was first quarter and there was a ref right there although he had a poor angle to see it.  Must have been snoozing.

just when Cain has you about ready to pop some excedrin, she comes up with 4 big free throws and a huge block!!! still kinda amazes me with her height/length she isn't good for 6-8pts/game just around the rim. she does have pretty nice touch with her shot. i still have a lot of respect for her---all took place when she stepped up to the mic a couple of times last season. really good teammate and has a lot of class.

Cravens-nice! tough player. can really mix it up around the rim! RB43 who? jk 😉 like someone else mentioned, think her offense will come around. may not be consistent, but, think she will have some good games on the offensive side to go along with her strength of rebounding. 

congrats to Sam Haiby! what a game! a little surprised Illinois didn't try a little more to shut her down. 

will be kind of interesting to see if Illinois continues to be an offensive threat. i never thought they would shoot that well on the road.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

2 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

just when Cain has you about ready to pop some excedrin, she comes up with 4 big free throws and a huge block!!! still kinda amazes me with her height/length she isn't good for 6-8pts/game just around the rim. she does have pretty nice touch with her shot. i still have a lot of respect for her---all took place when she stepped up to the mic a couple of times last season. really good teammate and has a lot of class.

Cravens-nice! tough player. can really mix it up around the rim! RB43 who? jk 😉 like someone else mentioned, think her offense will come around. may not be consistent, but, think she will have some good games on the offensive side to go along with her strength of rebounding. 

congrats to Sam Haiby! what a game! a little surprised Illinois didn't try a little more to shut her down. 

will be kind of interesting to see if Illinois continues to be an offensive threat. i never thought they would shoot that well on the road.

I think Ill was to interested in keep Cain from scoring and chasing our shooters off the line.