uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 5 - Georgia Technical Institute

uneblinstu

2 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

You can't say that these guys were out here shooting to impress the remaining crowd I guess.

I sort of feel like until such time their spirit is either broken or forged, they're going to be one of these rollercoaster effort type of teams.....the type that lives it up after a win and takes shooting practice after losses.

I'm not going to get upset over this although I do think there were some kinda bad issues. They showed fight in the second half, GT just came and punched us back and that happens.

-team had serious problems attacking the zone. That's troublesome and that's what concerned me the most. Brought me back to the Boston/Miami series a couple months ago.

-banton had his worst game of the year, and even then he was still effective at times. His shot he's still not entirely confident with you can tell. 

-Teddy struggled all night. They tried to get him some easy ones in the second half and they did, but after that he was quiet.

-Having Kobe coming off the bench is SUCH a luxury this year they haven't had in years past. If he continues scoring throughout the year he'll be in consideration for "6 man of the year". His job is to come in and score and he's been in double figures 4 out of 5 games. 

-I won't touch on the Thor/Stevenson discussion because while Thor hasn't played well yet, teams still have to respect him from deep, Shamiel has yet to hit a 3 and teams don't have to respect him. The trade off between the 2 probably won't be significant enough to swing the game. Sham plays defense better than Thor but thor can pass better. 

-Once again, thought Yvan was good defensively, but he is a virtual zero offensively. They need SOMETHING from him. Once Andre comes back it'll be interesting if they adjust the lineup at all and go 9 deep instead of 8. 

-They need to create Mayen easier looks. His release is a bit slower, although it goes in more often than not. But they need to create looks for him where he doesn't have to shoot off the dribble (final 4 minutes of the game). C&S opportunities with space are where he'll thrive. 

A loss like this sucks, but at the same time it's good for them. Back and forth game where they punched and got punched back. We'll see a ton of games like that in the big ten. Creighton will be a fun offensive game both ways. And then the layoff before Wisconsin (they may try to get a makeup for Florida A&M in there)

Edited by thrasher31

Just now, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Anyone else’s hear skip a beat when Lat passes up a three, puts the ball on the floor and goes on an adventure towards the rim? 😂 I hope he stops passing up open there’s and goes into 86/100 mode Lat

I thought he had some decent drives today, but yes. Ever since he turned the ball over against Nevada in the final minute, I think he should be banned from dribbling. Shoot or pass

When Alvarado got his 4th foul I was amazed that our team did not put the ball in Webster’s hands and have him drive on Alvarado who was guarding him every time we had the ball.

However, I was even more amazed when Alvarado started taking over the game and Hoiberg didn’t call a timeout to discuss how we are going to exploit Alvarado or foul his ass out. 

We learned this in junior junior high basketball. Really, really disappointed with the lack of awareness and basic strategy!

5 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

We're still a team learning to play together so I don't think we know for sure what our floor or ceiling is.

This is where I am. Saw some complaints about our half court offense, and it is bad. However, this team has little experience back from last year and we've had a disrupted schedule because of COVID. Kidney will back me up on this: As a coach, you work first on defense, then your primary offensive system, which in our case is fast-tempo with a lot 3s. After that, you work on offense against a zone. It also doesn't seem like we have very many defensive counterpunches at this point, mainly because our base defense still has a lot of blown assignments. For example, I don't think Delano is a great on-ball defender, but he could be hell on wheels at the top of a 1-3-1. You only get so much practice time and  it seems like Fred has his hands full right now in just getting them to do the basics of what he wants.

In addition, while the talent level isn't bad, the pieces don't fit that well. Maybe the answer to the Thor/Shamiel question should be "neither," and start Kobe.

I think 6 wins in the BIG is probably our limit, but it can still be an entertaining season if we start playing well.

In sum, I just don't think we know much yet.

Obligatory Kidney rec, although the post deserves one on its own. 

This is going to be a screwball season. New talent, roster overhaul, the B1G looks nasty early, and we're probably not going to win many games, even though we'll be a better team (probably by a lot) than last year. 

8 hours ago, thrasher31 said:

I'm not going to get upset over this although I do think there were some kinda bad issues. They showed fight in the second half, GT just came and punched us back and that happens.

-team had serious problems attacking the zone. That's troublesome and that's what concerned me the most. Brought me back to the Boston/Miami series a couple months ago.

-banton had his worst game of the year, and even then he was still effective at times. His shot he's still not entirely confident with you can tell. 

-Teddy struggled all night. They tried to get him some easy ones in the second half and they did, but after that he was quiet.

-Having Kobe coming off the bench is SUCH a luxury this year they haven't had in years past. If he continues scoring throughout the year he'll be in consideration for "6 man of the year". His job is to come in and score and he's been in double figures 4 out of 5 games. 

-I won't touch on the Thor/Stevenson discussion because while Thor hasn't played well yet, teams still have to respect him from deep, Shamiel has yet to hit a 3 and teams don't have to respect him. The trade off between the 2 probably won't be significant enough to swing the game. Sham plays defense better than Thor but thor can pass better. 

-Once again, thought Yvan was good defensively, but he is a virtual zero offensively. They need SOMETHING from him. Once Andre comes back it'll be interesting if they adjust the lineup at all and go 9 deep instead of 8. 

-They need to create Mayen easier looks. His release is a bit slower, although it goes in more often than not. But they need to create looks for him where he doesn't have to shoot off the dribble (final 4 minutes of the game). C&S opportunities with space are where he'll thrive. 

A loss like this sucks, but at the same time it's good for them. Back and forth game where they punched and got punched back. We'll see a ton of games like that in the big ten. Creighton will be a fun offensive game both ways. And then the layoff before Wisconsin (they may try to get a makeup for Florida A&M in there)

This.

Dalano is shooting 78% from the line on about 6 attempts per game. I’m impressed with that. He generally made good decisions with the ball in the first 4 games. Hopefully tonight was an anomaly. Needs to stay locked in on both ends for 40 minutes. 

We desperately need Trey’s efficiency to improve. I believe it was Padilla who said if he’s the same player he was at Pitt, that isn’t gonna do us any good. So far he has been exactly that. He should be an Avery Bradley type. Focus all your efforts on guarding the other teams best guard. And just pick your spots and take what comes to you on offense. 

Lat looks like a fish out of water when he puts the ball on the floor. He’s still feeling things out and will start shooting the ball with less hesitation. I think he’s the least of our worries. He and Thor are the only two players right now whose hands the ball doesn’t stick in on offense. Important for cohesiveness and flow in Fred’s offense.

I still think losing 20+ pounds has hurt Yvan more than helped. He gets knocked off balance with minimal contact. Didn’t play much tonight, against a team that had a legit big. PT will likely decrease further when Walker/Eduardo are back. 

Great game by Kobe. I don’t think his approach was any different. Just finally found a rhythm with his shot. 

We are significantly more talented than last year. But as a team, right now we’re not much better. I just hope we clean some of these fixable things up. We have guys who stand straight-legged for entire defensive possessions at times. That shouldn’t be acceptable. On offense, our pace is awful and I’m sure it’s driving Fred nuts. We may shoot the ball early in the shot clock at times and that’ll make our pace metrics look ok, but every movement we make on offense, with and without the ball, is way too slow. 

1 hour ago, coughunter said:

Are they?  NE had a week to prepare, at home, and more time as a team together 

Yes, they are.  As disappointed as I am  with last night too, Ga Tech is a much better team.  Put them and Nevada in the Big 10 and Ga Tech would win more games than them.  Just because we had more time to prepare doesn’t make them a bad team.  It makes the fact that we looked crappy a little more alarming though.

1 hour ago, coughunter said:

I would very much argue "yes". Guess we'll see by seasons' end.

Georgia Tech didn't even start full contact practices until after their first two losses, which was a mistake on the head coach. Granted, he tried to win the COVID mitigation game. Georgia Tech was also a NCAA tournament fringe team going into the season.

And as it stands right now, per Ken Pomeroy, Nevada is #120 and Georgia Tech is #70 (Nebraska at #112 for reference).

20 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Yes, they are.  As disappointed as I am  with last night too, Ga Tech is a much better team.  Put them and Nevada in the Big 10 and Ga Tech would win more games than them.  Just because we had more time to prepare doesn’t make them a bad team.  It makes the fact that we looked crappy a little more alarming though.

Agreed, but this team lost to 2 really bad teams.  Not one but 2.  

7 minutes ago, coughunter said:

Agreed, but this team lost to 2 really bad teams.  Not one but 2.  

I wouldn't call Nevada or Ga Tech "Really Bad" teams.  Had we lost to USD, McNeese... yeah, those would be bad bad losses.  Nevada will probably be a bad loss come the end of the year but jury is still out on them.  Ga Tech?  Let's just see where they go.  People like to point out that they lost to two in-state duds but also don't like to point out that they beat a Kentucky team that was ranked.  Ga Tech isn't a really bad team, Ga Tech isn't a bad team, and I will venture far enough to say that Ga Tech could finish top half of the ACC.

A big turning point last night could have been the McGowns "step back" for a foul that ended up with a "T" on Lat.  At that point in the game, GA Tech was struggling to score and we were starting to get a little MO.  We were up 10-6 with the ball coming up the floor.  The play ultimately resulted in what could have been a 7 point swing (4 for GA Tech and a hypothetical 3 for us).  So instead of 10-10, it could have been 13-6.

In addition, if we look at our two possessions AFTER the incident, we have Banton with a two point shot, GA Tech with a missed 3 and Kobe with a made 3.

We were leading 15-10 at that point, but, had McGowns just brought the ball up and not tried to draw a foul that resulted in the T, we very well could have been leading 15-6.  I would say that the McGowns "step back" hurt us more than helped us last night.  Especially the first one.

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

A big turning point last night could have been the McGowns "step back" for a foul that ended up with a "T" on Lat.  At that point in the game, GA Tech was struggling to score and we were starting to get a little MO.  We were up 10-6 with the ball coming up the floor.  The play ultimately resulted in what could have been a 7 point swing (4 for GA Tech and a hypothetical 3 for us).  So instead of 10-10, it could have been 13-6.

In addition, if we look at our two possessions AFTER the incident, we have Banton with a two point shot, GA Tech with a missed 3 and Kobe with a made 3.

We were leading 15-10 at that point, but, had McGowns just brought the ball up and not tried to draw a foul that resulted in the T, we very well could have been leading 15-6.  I would say that the McGowns "step back" hurt us more than helped us last night.  Especially the first one.

I think McGowens needs to quit it with that move. The commentators for the game last night were pretty awful, but the only thing I agreed with them on was how lame that move is. 

27 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I wouldn't call Nevada or Ga Tech "Really Bad" teams.  Had we lost to USD, McNeese... yeah, those would be bad bad losses.  Nevada will probably be a bad loss come the end of the year but jury is still out on them.  Ga Tech?  Let's just see where they go.  People like to point out that they lost to two in-state duds but also don't like to point out that they beat a Kentucky team that was ranked.  Ga Tech isn't a really bad team, Ga Tech isn't a bad team, and I will venture far enough to say that Ga Tech could finish top half of the ACC.

Kentucky at this point even though ranked, which really means nothing other than name, isnt that good now

2 hours ago, coughunter said:

You guys realize they finished 5th in the ACC last year and have most everyone back right? They are not a scrub team. Feel like we still should have won but we need to jell as a team and be tougher mentally. Hopefully that comes sooner rather than later

Edited by Art Vandalay

28 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

That was a big talking point for the announces both at the game AND in studio.  No one liked it.  

While it may be a bit against the spirit of the game, and some could even consider it poor sportsmanship, I say until the officials decide to actually do something about it to clean up the game, and as long as it isn't explicitly against the rules, then why the hell not do it?  If it gives us a competitive advantage, I'm all for it.

I compare it to Brad Davison and his clown tactics.  We all hate it and we all know just exactly what he's doing and it's gross.  But to his credit it works, and it helps his team and I can hate it all I want, but at the same time I have to respect that he's doing what he can to help his team win.

Jay Bilas was going out of his mind in the Illinois/Duke game with the ridiculous charge calls being given there.  I see Trey's antics in the same light.  Eventually, I think he'll get tee'd up for it and then he'll probably cool it.  But until then, I don't have a problem with it.

6 minutes ago, 49r said:

While it may be a bit against the spirit of the game, and some could even consider it poor sportsmanship, I say until the officials decide to actually do something about it to clean up the game, and as long as it isn't explicitly against the rules, then why the hell not do it?  If it gives us a competitive advantage, I'm all for it.

I compare it to Brad Davison and his clown tactics.  We all hate it and we all know just exactly what he's doing and it's gross.  But to his credit it works, and it helps his team and I can hate it all I want, but at the same time I have to respect that he's doing what he can to help his team win.

Jay Bilas was going out of his mind in the Illinois/Duke game with the ridiculous charge calls being given there.  I see Trey's antics in the same light.  Eventually, I think he'll get tee'd up for it and then he'll probably cool it.  But until then, I don't have a problem with it.

I feel dirty even saying it, but I love the move. Its bush league. Don't care. If after 5 games you don't have it in your scouting report that he does that thats on you. 

To your comment about getting T'd up for the move. My wife and I were discussing it last night(she HATED the move). My thoughts were so long as he doesn't do it any more egregiously than the way he did it the 1st time last night (it was soooo bad) he'll be fine. Its the rule. Can't just go making up technical fouls.

Also, it makes me LOVE him as a player. He has to know doing that is going to make him a target for hard fouls, cheapshots, and generally the other teams best shot. He doesn't care. Goes out and busts his hump a D. I love it. And I love he is on our team 😀