uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 5 - Georgia Technical Institute

uneblinstu

First Half:

• The Huskers got all turnover happy early in the game.
  • That whole business where McGowens jumped in front of Wright to try to draw the foul was just so silly. I don't like the move by McGowens. There's no reason for that to be a technical foul on Mayen. Certainly shouldn't have been a four point play for Georgia Tech...
  • I did like NU's response after that sequence and get 5 quick points.
  • Georgia Tech of course answered with a 5 point spurt of their own. 
  • I like Webster the more I get to see him.
  • Huskers got chilly jumpers there for a while...
  • NU doesn't have the shooters to make a team pay for sitting a zone. Lots of slow jumpers today. 

Halftime:

20181022-red-panda.gif

2nd Half:

• Quick start for Teddy Buckets in the second half is good.
  • Crispin has a love/hate relationship with McGowens today.
  • McGowens isn't going to be popular in B1G arenas next year.
  • Getting Alvarado in foul trouble might be the deciding factor in this game if NU goes on to win.
  • It's a bummer there was nobody in the building tonight. PBA would have been a frenzy as Webster caught fire from behind the arc.
  • This game is a good test for how to handle crunch time. Tie game with 7 minutes left. Can they make more plays than Georgia Tech?
  • Alvarado was the best player on the court. He really makes GT go.
  • Huskers wilted in the third segment of the second half. NU still has work to do finishing at the rim and making free throws. That was supposed to be something that was going to be markedly improved. It may be better than last year, but it's got a long way to go, still.
  • Teddy Allen just hasn't been good today. 
  • This is a really frustrating game. NU had every opportunity to win this game and Georgia Tech was just better the last seven minutes of the game. They were way more disciplined and focused. It felt like they knew what they wanted to get done and NU was just running around hoping something good happened. 
  • Seems like Fred got outcoached today. Can't bring this effort and focus on Friday or it's going to be embarrassing.

Perhaps Walker or Andre will be that guy but If not we need to find a big man ASAP

Outside of Iowa we probably won’t be seeing much more zone this year. We played right in to Ga Tech’s hands settling for long jumpers. Until we may teams pay for it it’s going to be tough sledding on offensive with how we shoot. 

Offense is stagnant and has looked that way for a few games.  Outside of chucking 3's that arent falling what do we have?  Not sure Walker or Andre can change that but we will see.  Last year I feel the offense was more productive at times with less talent.  Cheatham was the difference and Cam and Burkes speed.  Hopefully something changes.  Need more from Thor as well.  Not sure why he isnt getting the shots he had last year.  

It’s just hard for me to judge much without a full roster of bigs.  We need height at the 5 or we need to just stick Shamiel there as a band aid for now.  He’s easily our best available 5.  

I feel like we have enough at the guard position to mix and match how we want.  We’ll be a little different when we can do the same at the 4-5.    

Kobe, Trey, Dalano, Teddy, and Shamiel is who I would roll out to start against Creighton.  

I think the difference in the game tonight was that they have a guy, Alvarado, who is simply capable of taking over a game, putting his team on his shoulders, and just carrying them across the finish line.

Yeah, the Wright kid is a very talented player as well. But Alvarado, when he came back into the game for the 2nd half stretch run, he just nutted up and got it done.

Yeah, sure, we pissed some defensive possessions down our leg. (Not sure what Banton was looking at when Alvarado blew by him for a (missed) layup.) And we graciously left a couple of their shooters all by themselves, which they finally managed to cash.

We actually did a pretty darn good job defending Wright for most of the night.

But Alvarado just took the game over down the stretch. If my math is right, he had 15 points in the last 6:43 of the game. We had no answer for him.

We don't have that guy at this point. I had hoped Teddy Allen might be that dude, but it doesn't appear to be that way. At least not tonight. A couple of years ago, that guy was James Palmer Jr. And when you needed a bucket, JPJ could pretty much get you one against almost any team.

But they had an Alvarado. And we don't. And that was the difference in the game.

Edited by Norm Peterson

What were we expecting this year?  I expected improvement and we are improved.  Georgia Tech beat Kentucky, Kentucky so a loss is not a disaster. NU, if they played well, could have won the game.  Last year you couldn’t say that.  I think we will battle the Jays Friday night. 

7 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

What were we expecting this year?  I expected improvement and we are improved.  Georgia Tech beat Kentucky, Kentucky so a loss is not a disaster. NU, if they played well, could have won the game.  Last year you couldn’t say that.  I think we will battle the Jays Friday night. 

Kentucky is not good right now.  Tech also lost to 2 bad teams and is probably a bottom of the ACC team.  This should of been a winnable game and a game that needs to be won to show progress this season IMO.  

19 minutes ago, coughunter said:

Kentucky is not good right now.  Tech also lost to 2 bad teams and is probably a bottom of the ACC team.  This should of been a winnable game and a game that needs to be won to show progress this season IMO.  

Agree, we could have won but you have to execute.  Last year our team would not have had a chance to win this game.

33 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Agree, we could have won but you have to execute.  Last year our team would not have had a chance to win this game.

Who cares about last year?  This team on paper by vision is and should be more talented.  Saying you have to execute is coachspeak.  They should be winning these games.  Im more upset over this loss then the Nevada loss.

Edited by coughunter

3 minutes ago, coughunter said:

Who cares about last year?  This team on paper is by vision is and should be more talented.  Saying you have to execute is coachspeak.  They should be winjing these games.  Im more upset over this loss then the Nevada loss

Might be missing your point, but Georgia Tech is a much better team than Nevada.

Georgia Tech weathered a 16-2 Nebraska run from the last 3 minutes of the first half through the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half.  Game went from 32-24 them to 40-34 us during that time which also saw Alverado sitting with 4 fouls.  We trade some baskets until Alverado comes back 13:51 to go and they're down 43-39.  They outscore us 36-21 but it's this sequence that breaks us

image.png

Georgia Tech is a veteran defense oriented team that rode their senior PG tonight. 

I'm not exactly sure what we fall back on when things aren't going our way. I would think offensively it would be Teddy or Kobe. Defensively maybe Trey or even Shamiel.  None of thee players are our starting PG.  We're still a team learning to play together so I don't think we know for sure what our floor or ceiling is.