Georiga Tech (1-2) vs. Nebraska (3-1) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Just now, huskerbaseball13 said:

Coming in to this game Allen averaged double the amount of rebounds per game so that doesn’t add.

Thor played better in the second half...atleast defensively. But, if he’s not producing on the offensive end I’d rather see Stevenson out there. 

Why?  Stevenson isn’t producing much on offense, isn’t a great rebounder and has had one good defensive game.  He’s been the most underwhelming player on this team so far.  I can see a argument for Kobe, to start, but not Stevenson.

3 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Coming in to this game Allen averaged double the amount of rebounds per game so that doesn’t add.

Thor played better in the second half...atleast defensively. But, if he’s not producing on the offensive end I’d rather see Stevenson out there. 

unfortunately, Stevenson provided just as much as Thor in terms of points today.

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Fred needs to find an answer on offense.  For as highly touted on the offensive end as he was, our half court was trash tonight.  I don’t want to hear “we just need shooters” or “need to knock some down” that’s obvious and was the same flaw we had in the miles era.  If we don’t have Webster go like 5-6 from deep, we shoot well under 30% on threes.

I mean he cant make his guys hit open shots. We had alot of good looks. We have all season its just a poor shooting team.

Just now, Keenan9595 said:

Why?  Stevenson isn’t producing much on offense, isn’t a great rebounder and has had one good defensive game.  He’s been the most underwhelming player on this team so far.  I can see a argument for Kobe, to start, but not Stevenson.

Most underwhelming? He shut down SD’s best player in the last game. Most underwhelming has been Thor. 

1 minute ago, huskerbill85 said:

I mean he cant make his guys hit open shots. We had alot of good looks. We have all season its just a poor shooting team.

Then you have to find something that does work.  Miles teams got open looks too and couldn’t hit.  It’s just frustrating that the same things that happened then are happening now.

1 minute ago, colhusker said:

Most underwhelming? He shut down SD’s best player in the last game. Most underwhelming has been Thor. 

Like I said above, he’s had one good DEFENSIVE game.  He was supposed to be all of these other things and he hasn’t done much of any of them.  I honestly don’t see why people are wanting him him to have so many more minutes, I honestly don’t.

Edited by Keenan9595

20 minutes ago, Keenan9595 said:

Coming in to this game, Stevenson was shooting over 60% from the floor. Thor? 20%. He also averaged more rebounds per game while playing less minutes than Thor. 

On top of that, he is a better defender as well. If you look at the metrics, and yes it’s a small sample size...Thor has easily been the worst player on the floor for Nebraska this year. It’s not for a lack of effort but if he’s not hitting shots we would be better off with Stevenson on the court. 

30 minutes ago, Keenan9595 said:

Like I said above, he’s had one good DEFENSIVE game.  He was supposed to be all of these other things and he hasn’t done much of any of them.  I honestly don’t see why people are wanting him him to have so many more minutes, I honestly don’t.

I mean I don’t know if Stevenson is the answer but Thor is not effective right now. We need him to be an outside threat and right now he’s not. 

Not bagging on him because he’s obviously in a funk. But Stevenson is more of a Big Ten body. We are going to need his physical presence In conference play IMO. 

13 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Coming in to this game, Stevenson was shooting over 60% from the floor. Thor? 20%. He also averaged more rebounds per game while playing less minutes than Thor. 

On top of that, he is a better defender as well. If you look at the metrics, and yes it’s a small sample size...Thor has easily been the worst player on the floor for Nebraska this year. It’s not for a lack of effort but if he’s not hitting shots we would be better off with Stevenson on the court. 

Stevenson also has less rebounds, less assists, more TO is 0% from 3 has double the personal fouls and no blocks.  Is he really helping us that much more when he’s on the floor?  At best it’s a wash, but Thor creates for others and you can tell how it helps our other guards.  It is what it is though, people have been blindly hating on Thor since he got here, this year shouldn’t be anything new.  This is just a preference argument, I have chili cheese fries to eat and an old fashioned to drink, more than anything we gotta get our inside game and shooting figured out or it doesn’t matter who starts.

I was frustrated that when Alvarado picked up his fourth foul that we didn’t start driving on him every time down the court!

Then when he started taking over the game we still didn’t drive on him once! 

Players not being aware but even worse coaches not being aware. Based on letting this very winnable game slip away it’s going to be another long season.

12 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I mean I don’t know if Stevenson is the answer but Thor is not effective right now. We need him to be an outside threat and right now he’s not. 

Not bagging on him because he’s obviously in a funk. But Stevenson is more of a Big Ten body. We are going to need his physical presence In conference play IMO. 

But to be an outside thread he has to get the ball.  I counted 5 times tonight where he was outside the arc and 4 of those 5 times Delano or trey turned the ball over, in fact one time Trey didn’t kick it out to him and instead passed it off to Yvan running down to rebound.  The 5th time Kobe saw him and the pass was defended well.  We aren’t letting a good shooter even try to get some confidence and that troubles me

1 minute ago, Keenan9595 said:

But to be an outside thread he has to get the ball.  I counted 5 times tonight where he was outside the arc and 4 of those 5 times Delano or trey turned the ball over, in fact one time Trey didn’t kick it out to him and instead passed it off to Yvan running down to rebound.  The 5th time Kobe saw him and the pass was defended well.  We aren’t letting a good shooter even try to get some confidence and that troubles me

To add to this, Thor isn’t any worse off shooting than everyone but Kobe right now.

8 minutes ago, Keenan9595 said:

Stevenson also has less rebounds, less assists, more TO is 0% from 3 has double the personal fouls and no blocks.  Is he really helping us that much more when he’s on the floor?  At best it’s a wash, but Thor creates for others and you can tell how it helps our other guards.  It is what it is though, people have been blindly hating on Thor since he got here, this year shouldn’t be anything new.  This is just a preference argument, I have chili cheese fries to eat and an old fashioned to drink, more than anything we gotta get our inside game and shooting figured out or it doesn’t matter who starts.

I mean, coming in to this game it wasn’t close to a wash if you actually look at the stats. Stevenson has been more productive in less minutes.

I’m not hating on Thor but he has not been good this year. I think he will eventually find his shot but until then I’d like to see Stevenson taking more of his minutes. 

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

To add to this, Thor isn’t any worse off shooting than everyone but Kobe right now.

Thor has 5 made FG in 131 minutes of action right now. He’s shooting 20% from the field. He hasn’t even attempted a FT. Sorry, but he’s a black hole on the offensive end right now. 

Im sure Hoiberg is not wanting to kill his confidence even more which is fine but we need last years Thor to show up sooner rather than later. 

Just now, huskerbaseball13 said:

Thor has 5 made FG in 131 minutes of action right now. He’s shooting 20% from the field. He hasn’t even attempted a FT. Sorry, but he’s a black hole on the offensive end right now. 

Im sure Hoiberg is not wanting to kill his confidence even more which is fine but we need last years Thor to show up sooner rather than later. 

Oh I agree... but he isn’t taking a ton of shots either.  Outside of Kobe, we were 2-16 tonight from deep.  I’m saying I’m confident in Thor making more than 2-16 and therefore he is just as much a black hole from deep as everyone else.  This isn’t a Thor problem, it’s an everyone except Kobe problem.

Just now, hskr4life said:

Oh I agree... but he isn’t taking a ton of shots either.  Outside of Kobe, we were 2-16 tonight from deep.  I’m saying I’m confident in Thor making more than 2-16 and therefore he is just as much a black hole from deep as everyone else.  This isn’t a Thor problem, it’s an everyone except Kobe problem.

Yeah I 100% agree we need more shooters.  If Banton could develop an outside shot man that would be great. I also don’t think Stevenson is that guy. But all of the other guys at the very least offer the threat to taking someone off the bounce and getting to the rim. Thor not so much. 

He will get hot at some point hopefully. We know he’s a better offensive player than what he’s showing right now. 

24 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I mean, coming in to this game it wasn’t close to a wash if you actually look at the stats. Stevenson has been more productive in less minutes.

I’m not hating on Thor but he has not been good this year. I think he will eventually find his shot but until then I’d like to see Stevenson taking more of his minutes. 

This.  To add, Thor gave up a TON of points tonight trying to guard guards.  He needs to play the 4 or not at all.  I actually like him there and think he's tough enough to do it, but we've gotta stop pretending he is anything other than a small ball stretch 4.  

I don’t think this argument about Thor or Shamiel is very relevant. You give 8 of Thors minutes to Shamiel or vice verse and I don’t think the game changes much.

This game was lost by our best scorer having an off game, which affected him on the other end of the floor. It was lost by our main distributor having way too many careless turnovers and passes that through offense out of rhythm, and it was lost by not punishing their best player who was in foul trouble all game long.

2 hours ago, Keenan9595 said:

It's more about us needing someone who can rebound and can defend a PF/C and Stevenson physically resembles someone who would be capable of that job. But yeah, he's not really producing on that end.

8 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

To me, it appears obvious that Thor and Yvan are both major liabilities on both ends of the court. When Andre and Walker are back in the mix, I’m hoping that their minutes come primarily from Thor and Yvan.

Yuv minutes will decrease with those two in your scenario of wanting less minutes, but Walker and Andre give us nothing that Thor gives us and vice versa.  They are two different players and positions and therefore you won't see Thor's minutes decreasing with them back.  Yuv and Lat are the two that would be affected by their return.

If Thor gets less minutes, it will come from Stevenson and Kobe taking some of those minutes.