Testing?

There is a rumor floating around that Nebraska is not testing it's football players for Covid.  I would think the Big Ten would be very strict when it comes to this but it is odd that NU has not had anyone (that we know of) test positive when our numbers are on the rise. The BB team must be testing with Andre and others earlier that supposedly tested positive.  Is there anybody in the know about this?  If true I would think a major punishment would follow if discovered.

22 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

There is a rumor floating around that Nebraska is not testing it's football players for Covid.  I would think the Big Ten would be very strict when it comes to this but it is odd that NU has not had anyone (that we know of) test positive when our numbers are on the rise. The BB team must be testing with Andre and others earlier that supposedly tested positive.  Is there anybody in the know about this?  If true I would think a major punishment would follow if discovered.

I think they test them daily.

I'm pretty sure the B1G has medical people embedded with each time to oversee testing -- at least for football -- so it's not possible for any schools to cheat the system. It may be that way for hoops too, but I'm not sure on that. Could be the same medical person for both sports, I guess.

NU football has chosen not to announce its positives, neither the numbers it has or who has it. Frost did mention after the Purdue game that Marvin Scott tested positive Friday, so he didn't play Saturday. It came up in passing during a discussion about the running back depth, so he probably didn't really mean to do it. 

NU basketball didn't announce Andre's positive either; I believe that came from speculation from a media source somewhere. But it's a lot easier for the media to guess on positive tests in hoops when you only have 15-ish players on a team. It's easier to see when someone isn't suited up or in attendance on a basketball bench versus 100+ in football where you have guys who don't dress out for many reasons.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure HiPAA regulations don't allow teams to announce who is positive. The player could announce it himself/herself, but not the school/team. Some teams are announcing the total number of positives they have, and some aren't. 

Edited by throwback

32 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I don’t think the Big Ten would let that slide especially Nebraska, now maybe Ohio State? Maybe. 🙂

1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I would bet my house that the rumor is false.  You'd be looking at suits galore if something happened because they weren't testing.