Contrasting warm ups; something to watch for

Norm Peterson

I always watch warm ups when I get to the game early enough. And I mean the early warm ups. For one thing, just to entertain myself, I try to pick out the other team's starters by watching how they do in warm ups. (And you can generally figure it out or at least get the guys in the main rotation -- so, again, don't tell me you can't learn much by watching a short highlight video or a brief period of watching a guy play.)

Another thing I look at is how many of the other team's players are draining shots. And there seems to be a very strong correlation between the teams that come in here and beat us and how many of their players can stroke it.

I have to say that, generally over the last decade +/-, we have not looked particularly impressive as a team shooting the ball in warm ups compared to some of the better opponents we've faced. And, yeah, those shots in warm ups don't count. I realise this. But it does give you a window into the offensive firepower that each team possesses. And it gives you a pretty good indication of which opponents are going to be a tough out for us.

If the videos of our recruited commits and the players we appear to be after are any indication, this may be changing. I think there seems to be a pretty strong indication that Coach Miles is prioritizing guys who can shoot in his recruiting efforts. And that includes the bigs. Something to keep an eye on. Be watching our warm ups and keep an eye on how many of our kids can drain it.

Just like Miles said in his most recent press conference, he wants to be more smart/saavy on offense rather than Doc's strategy toward the defense. I really think this will be reflected in your observations, Norm. This tells me that we may be seeing more games in the 70s/80s and having more confidence in the opportunities we have to score at the end of games. I think we'll see a lot more double-threat (short-range/long-range shooters) than we have in the last decade.

I definitely think that we have some guys who are "scorers" that are coming into the program. I think a guy like Tai Webster could be a 20 ppg a night kinda guy. Fuller and Hawkins can both shoot the ball well also.

20 points a night might be a little ambitious, considering only one player (John Shurna at 19.8) was really close to that. However, I'd be more than happy if he was 15-16 point-per-game scorer. I know Spencer was around that, but he was such a high-volume, inefficient scorer that it wasn't a "good" 15 a game.

I like Fuller and Hawkins as floor spacers who can allow Webster to attack the lane while also being double-digit scorers.

I always watch warm ups when I get to the game early enough. And I mean the early warm ups. For one thing, just to entertain myself, I try to pick out the other team's starters by watching how they do in warm ups. (And you can generally figure it out or at least get the guys in the main rotation -- so, again, don't tell me you can't learn much by watching a short highlight video or a brief period of watching a guy play.)

Another thing I look at is how many of the other team's players are draining shots. And there seems to be a very strong correlation between the teams that come in here and beat us and how many of their players can stroke it.

I have to say that, generally over the last decade +/-, we have not looked particularly impressive as a team shooting the ball in warm ups compared to some of the better opponents we've faced. And, yeah, those shots in warm ups don't count. I realise this. But it does give you a window into the offensive firepower that each team possesses. And it gives you a pretty good indication of which opponents are going to be a tough out for us.

If the videos of our recruited commits and the players we appear to be after are any indication, this may be changing. I think there seems to be a pretty strong indication that Coach Miles is prioritizing guys who can shoot in his recruiting efforts. And that includes the bigs. Something to keep an eye on. Be watching our warm ups and keep an eye on how many of our kids can drain it.

Norm you make excellent points. I too arrive early to watch warm ups and it seems we are always throwing up bricks. I can remember 2-3 guys struggling during the layup drill. Coach Miles appears to be a straight shooter who doesn't sugar coat things (Doc). Miles has made it very clear this offense revolves around strong guard play. I also notice our guys spend a ridiculous amount of time stretching. Of course stretching is important, but some really, really enjoy stretching.