Idaho State (1-0) vs. Nebraska (1-0) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

I hope Coach Williams doesn't screw Stewart over like she screwed Brown over for the last 2 years.  I said Brown might just leave (and she did) because who has your top scorer always come off the bench.  Stewart is a scorer. Looks like she is a threat from outside or inside, unlike Cain.  She only played 9 minutes and and was one point off from being the high scorer.  I'm not saying she should start over Cain right now but she deserves a lot more playing time. 

46 minutes ago, longtimefan said:

I hope Coach Williams doesn't screw Stewart over like she screwed Brown over for the last 2 years.  I said Brown might just leave (and she did) because who has your top scorer always come off the bench.  Stewart is a scorer. Looks like she is a threat from outside or inside, unlike Cain.  She only played 9 minutes and and was one point off from being the high scorer.  I'm not saying she should start over Cain right now but she deserves a lot more playing time. 

Maybe Brown was a cancer in the locker room. And by Williams not starting her was coaches way of running Brown.

2 hours ago, kansashusker said:

Can’t let in more than u put in. Gotta care about the defensive end also. Anika will be great. She is 2 games in to her freshman year.  Freshman all think I you score  your way in to the lineup. Eventually they realize you defend and rebound your way to more PT. 

Well from the few minutes she has got on the floor I didn't see her doing any worse than any of her teammates.  Our team defense was bad. We let them have uncontested 3 point shots all night.  Fortunately, they didn't shoot well. We constantly let them drive to the basket and fortunately they missed a lot of uncontested lay ups.   Stewart had 2 rebounds in 9 minutes of playing time. Bourne had 3 in 29 min, Brady 5 in 27min and Cain 5 in 28 minutes.  So triple Stewarts playing time and she beats all three.  I agree playing good defense is great, but you still have to outscore your opponents to win. And I don't think Stewart is thinking I have to score to be a starter.  But after her first two games I would think she is thinking she deserves more playing time than these first two games.

9 hours ago, longtimefan said:

Sorry but I don't buy that at all.

While Brown may have not been happy coming off the bench and really what young player would when you most likely are the best player on the team. That said it was reported she approached KBA about playing at Michigan. After a internal discussion and Leigha stating she just wanted to help make the team better and has no desire to be the top point producer she was welcomed. By all external accounts it looks like to be a good fit. 

There's been lots of discussion here over time. about team defense and rebounding. Some have even expressed that defense isn't the coaching primary focus. 

We have agreed it's generally common knowledge that incoming freshman aren't particularly focused on defense, because usually the heavily recruited HS kids are scorers. Coaches don't usually recruit kids that can't shoot, unless their 6-6 and can leap to the sky's.  Aren't many substitutes for tall.

Idaho, had kids that were aggressive defensively. But some not so skilled offensively.  Other factors aside...We, and Idaho kind of have different approaches to players and skill sets.  

We could use a couple of very quick, disruptive, defensive guards, but Coach will take the more offensively skilled.  Hard to find many Nicea's.

But...this team seems to have more players that can e aggressive and rebound.  We aren't completely there yet. The newbies (and transfer's) in general have a better overall BBall IQ, than some classes in the past. No one looks lost out there...rather just getting used to the flow and how to react. Maybe that's what I like best about this team..

And the team chemistry is good...they seem to like each other.

Edited by redsteve

13 minutes ago, redsteve said:

No one looks lost out there

This is something I noticed as well.  This is especially true of Stewart.  At present after two games she is the leading scorer on the team playing an average of 12 minutes per game with only one turnover.  She knows her abilities and has great court sense.  She will have her down days as all players do but I'm excited that we have a true post long range shooter which is our first since Jordan Hooper.  

59 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

I think Stewart needs to have a consistent amount of time on the floor. Granted her D may not be where Williams wants but you need scorers and she seems to be able to do that quite well. Sometimes your team D is just not on and you better be able to outscore your opponent. 

We're 2 games in.  It has been reported, the team practiced with as few as 6 healthy players at times. Isn't it a little early to be telling coach, who to play?  Things will get much tougher when we start conference play.  There will be plenty of time for critique later.  I'm going to enjoy 2 - 0 for awhile.

As for defense by our guards in stopping the opposition hitting threes, one thing we need to remember is that we just don't have much length there this year.  Also we are a bit down on speed as well although Cayton could help on that if she gets and stays healthy.

37 minutes ago, HUD said:

As for defense by our guards in stopping the opposition hitting threes, one thing we need to remember is that we just don't have much length there this year.  Also we are a bit down on speed as well although Cayton could help on that if she gets and stays healthy.

Any word on Brady?  She has some of the length you mention, not so much on the speed.  Porter might be an answer.  Not sure Helms is physical enough. She got beat several times yesterday.  Noticed, she spent most of the 2nd half watching.  Is she 100%.  Not asking you specifically Hud.  Questions for anyone in the know.  Thanks.  

On Brady I have been watching for news but haven't seen any thing yet.  It was such a crazy thing with less then a minute left.  I rewatched the video slowing it down and she did just slightly step on the foot of the Idaho St. player who was just standing there.  We need Trinity out there.  As for Porter I love her hustle but she just needs to slow down a bit and her shot will start dropping.  Her development is a key going forward.

15 minutes ago, HUD said:

On Brady I have been watching for news but haven't seen any thing yet.  It was such a crazy thing with less then a minute left.  I rewatched the video slowing it down and she did just slightly step on the foot of the Idaho St. player who was just standing there.  We need Trinity out there.  As for Porter I love her hustle but she just needs to slow down a bit and her shot will start dropping.  Her development is a key going forward.

Yes, Porter seems to be going house a fire. She kind of thrives with Idaho type of play. Kind of mile a minute. I would suspect she'll get more in line with the pace necessary as she see's more of the B1G style of play. I too like her aggressiveness for sure...just include the focus and deliberateness of Coaches scheme.  Looks to be durable, knows what she's doing, and athletic.  Just give her some time

Edited by redsteve

3 hours ago, All About the Corn said:

While Brown may have not been happy coming off the bench and really what young player would when you most likely are the best player on the team. That said it was reported she approached KBA about playing at Michigan. After a internal discussion and Leigha stating she just wanted to help make the team better and has no desire to be the top point producer she was welcomed. By all external accounts it looks like to be a good fit. 

So what you are saying is she could have been a cancer at UNL? 

I know if you work or are around someone who is not happy then they can effect those around them. Sounds like Michigan with now four ladies from Indiana on their roster is a popular choice. Maybe that was one of her choices in high school but they showed no interest. She has moved on, and so has NE. Hopefully both can benefit, and learn from their choices. 

1 hour ago, Bugeaters1 said:

So what you are saying is she could have been a cancer at UNL? 

Why do you keep saying Brown might have been a cancer?  Would you like to share where you're getting your information? Just because she left it seems like you're trying to throw her under the bus.  If I was her (and I know lots of other people who feel like me) I would of considered looking around.  There was no question she was our best offensive player, especially for how many minutes she played.  I'll probably get hammered for saying this but in my opinion Whitish didn't deserve the playing time she got.  She was a terrible ball handler, was slow and played bad defense, could not attack the basket and quite frankly she didn't hustle.  She was only a spot 3 point shooter and very streaky at that.  So if I'm Brown (or other players) and seeing what Whitish was bringing to the court and I wasn't starting or getting more playing time, I'd of probably been checking out other programs.