Our First Cancellation?

hskr4life

11 minutes ago, MichHusker said:

Probably going to do more good for our team right now to focus on themselves then try and rapidly prep for a game in a day or two 

Nothing this season is guaranteed. If this was any other year I'd understand this premise, but we don't even know what next week brings for games. 

Edited by OmahaHusker

Just now, OmahaHusker said:

Nothing this season is guaranteed. If this was any other year I'd understand this premise, but we don't even know what next week brings for games. 

This is kind of what I am thinking.  You take games when you can get them.  GA Tech and Creighton are not guaranteed to be played either.

4 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

For clarification, all for adding the makeup game. Much rather have it during the 10 day window after Creighton than now. 

23 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Making sure to replace any cancelled non-conference games means that Walker won’t have to miss an additional Big Ten game. I think it would be wise to schedule another game to replace Florida A&M.

The other option would be to call the NCAA and tell them our number of games just got reduced, so how about another reduction in that suspension, please.

Oregon is willing to play and they'll be (nearly) in town. Apparently on the day that the Fla A&M game would have been. We have a spot we need to fill. They would apparently be willing and available to fill it.

Why would this NOT happen? What possible reason would there be to not make this happen?

Because it just makes too much sense and we can't start a precedent of doing sensible things? What?

To me, it would be monumentally foolish for Nebraska to pass up the opportunity to play Oregon on Sunday.

With Nebraska’s roster being almost entirely new players, the thing they need more than anything is playing games on the court vs other teams, in order to continue to learn how to play together.

With as strong as the Big Ten conference is this season, I’ve heard many analysts say they think the Big Ten will get 10, maybe even 11, teams into the NCAA Tournament. If Nebraska can gel as a team and play well during conference, they could potentially play themselves into the 9-11 range in conference this season. I don’t think they can afford to miss any potential non conference games to gain more experience playing together.

Especially a game vs a Top25 team that just happens to be in the neighborhood and wants to play.

Additionally, losing this non conference game would push Walker’s suspension back a game. And with the Big Ten being as strong as it is this season, Nebraska can’t afford for Walker to miss any more conference games than he has to, especially considering that Hoiberg has stated on multiple occasions that Walker is Nebraska’s best post player and that he is one of the best leaders in the team.

Edited by Nebrasketballer

How much notice did we get from Florida A&M before the game was cancelled?

I also think we will schedule a game on the week we have open but I don't think at this point it's impossible for a game against Oregon to happen until the Ducks fly home.

One thing to consider is if we have a game somewhere around Dec 16 or so Eduardo Andre could be available.

20 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I’d be all for playing Oregon. I do think they’ll play a game to replace it, I just don’t think it will be until after the creighton game. 

That's kind of where I'm at with it as well.

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Oregon is willing to play and they'll be (nearly) in town. Apparently on the day that the Fla A&M game would have been. We have a spot we need to fill. They would apparently be willing and available to fill it.

Why would this NOT happen? What possible reason would there be to not make this happen?

Because it just makes too much sense and we can't start a precedent of doing sensible things? What?

As much as I love watching games I don’t think Fred wants to take any chance at a L that he doesn’t have to at this point. We all know the Big 10 is going to be tough and wins will be at a premium. Fred wants to show progress to the recruits and taking on potential losses is not exactly the best recipe for that. 

2 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

I don’t think Fred wants to take any chance at a L that he doesn’t have to at this point.

My thinking is this - I must preface this with I have no idea how good Oregon is. I just assume that are comparable, in talent, to at least one other Big 10 school. 

So. This game will better prepare is for the conference slate. If the Big 10 is gonna be as good as many on this board believe then I just don't see the benefit in some incarnate scrub team. 

PLUS how cool would it be to see this match up! Come on 2020 throw us a curveball!

UNO would be a logical replacement game that could be played during the open week Nebraska has between Creighton and the beginning of their conference schedule, but UNO is pretty full that week, so that’s doubtful.

With that being the case, it would be nice to see Nebraska schedule St Louis that Thursday (12/17/20). The Billikens are currently undefeated, they will likely still be undefeated on the 17th, and they will likely finish the season at the top of their conference, so if Nebraska were to win that game, it would be a quality win.

For reference, St Louis finished 49th in the NET rankings last season, so if they finished in a similar position this season, a home win for Nebraska would count as a Quad 2 win, while neutral site or road win would count as a Quad 1 win for Nebraska.

If they wanted it to be a neutral site game, they could play in Omaha or Kansas City and both of those locations would be relatively easy travel for both teams. Creighton plays at St John’s on the 17th, so they aren’t using the CHI center.