CDC will decrease COVID quarantine time from 14 days to 7-10 days

CDC will decrease COVID quarantine time from 14 days to 7-10 days.

If the Big Ten chooses to update their protocol, based on the new CDC guidelines, then it will have impact on the rest of the college basketball season.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/01/health/cdc-changing-quarantine-guidelines/index.html

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

If they Big Ten chooses to update their protocol, let's hope they do it before the point that Eduardo would already be able to return to the team. In other words, let's hope they do it in a timely manner so that it accelerates his availability.

That's a good one. Big Ten doing something in e timely manner.

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

If they Big Ten chooses to update their protocol, let's hope they do it before the point that Eduardo would already be able to return to the team. In other words, let's hope they do it in a timely manner so that it accelerates his availability.

They’ll announce the change in protocol the day after he comes back.

15 hours ago, PointGuard said:

Has their been an update on Andre.  Is he getting better??

Nebraska can't really release any information about Andre as they haven't even identified him as the person who tested positive for Covid.  To that point I'm not aware of how sick he might have been or if he was asymptomatic. The sit out period is a set length. I think the rational is that they want to make sure athletes haven't developed myocarditis.  Myocarditis is inflammation of the heart muscle which on rare occasions can result in heart attack or stroke.  If he had a severe case/reaction, you could see him being physically limited for months.

12 minutes ago, REDitus said:

I am surprised they didn't cancel the entire non-conference schedule like they did for football and baseball.  

Put me in the boat that completely does not understand why baseball was canceled.  It's the most distanced sport out of all of them.  If they are good with basketball, they should be good with baseball.  If it's because of travel, do bus trips.  KU, KSU, UNO, Creighton, UMKC, schedule regional schools. Don't want them staying in hotels?  Do double header bus trips.  We're also still two months out from the first games.  US hopes to have over 100 mil vaccinated by that time.  It just doesn't make sense.

Michigan's baseball coach made a proposal to the NCAA higher-ups back in April/May to push the start of the college baseball season back 4-6 weeks permanently, and he made a lot of good points that would benefit all programs. It actually gained some traction from southern coaches, so we'll see. It would be a good idea to give it a trial run in '21.

As far as the B1G only allowing conference games for baseball/softball, I hope that's not set in stone. That might be one of the dumbest, most short-sighted decisions the B1G has made yet under the new commish ... and there's quite a bit of competition for that honor. 

I think the idea of conference-only was to save money, but when you're trading away NU's ability to play nearby teams like Omaha & Kansas St & the bluebirds for extra trips -- by bus -- to Maryland & Penn St & Rutgers ... well, whoever made that decision with the idea of saving on costs shouldn't have a job that involves any sort of mathematics beyond 1+1.

Edited by throwback

5 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Put me in the boat that completely does not understand why baseball was canceled.  It's the most distanced sport out of all of them.  If they are good with basketball, they should be good with baseball.  If it's because of travel, do bus trips.  KU, KSU, UNO, Creighton, UMKC, schedule regional schools. Don't want them staying in hotels?  Do double header bus trips.  We're also still two months out from the first games.  US hopes to have over 100 mil vaccinated by that time.  It just doesn't make sense.

Because it doesn't make money

18 hours ago, throwback said:

Michigan's baseball coach made a proposal to the NCAA higher-ups back in April/May to push the start of the college baseball season back 4-6 weeks permanently, and he made a lot of good points that would benefit all programs. It actually gained some traction from southern coaches, so we'll see. It would be a good idea to give it a trial run in '21.

As far as the B1G only allowing conference games for baseball/softball, I hope that's not set in stone. That might be one of the dumbest, most short-sighted decisions the B1G has made yet under the new commish ... and there's quite a bit of competition for that honor. 

I think the idea of conference-only was to save money, but when you're trading away NU's ability to play nearby teams like Omaha & Kansas St & the bluebirds for extra trips -- by bus -- to Maryland & Penn St & Rutgers ... well, whoever made that decision with the idea of saving on costs shouldn't have a job that involves any sort of mathematics beyond 1+1.

I would like them to push it back 8 weeks.    Baseball is a summer sport.  I'd like to see the season mid April to July.  Have conference tourneys sometime in July and CWS at the end of July or first week in August. 

39 minutes ago, REDitus said:

I would like them to push it back 8 weeks.    Baseball is a summer sport.  I'd like to see the season mid April to July.  Have conference tourneys sometime in July and CWS at the end of July or first week in August. 

It would be better for the players to have the CWS toward the beginning of July.  That gives them at least a month at home after the season to see some family.  Remember, these guys are at school August to May.  If they have CWS start early to mid August, they’d never see family.

Always enjoy a baseball thread 😄 The biggest hurdle to pushing college baseball deeper into summer is the MLB draft. But with MLB taking a hard look at how it operates Minor League Baseball and shrinking the number of teams, MLB may be willing to work with the colleges to push things back, basically eliminating a lot of those short-season minor league teams. I think MLB teams are climbing on board with the idea that having their top prospects into the Arizona fall league with detailed instruction is almost better for development than the short season teams.

Pushing the college season back also would essentially kill off the amateur summer wood bat leagues, which has been a sticking point for MLB and the way it scouts players. However, I do think MLB has an interest in saving $$$ by almost using the college game like a subset of minor league baseball, moving more toward the NBA and NFL models, so I think MLB is open to making some changes to allow the college game to grow. Now's the perfect time to try it.