Hoiberg Ball and what is could be.

PimpMario

My favorite play Teddy Allen made tonight.  South Dakota has just cut it to 10.

I'm glad Allen is a scorer but I hope this team can really develop its passing mentality and find the extra pass more often than not.  We also need to work on find trailers in rhythm.  We are good at pressing the ball we just need to figure out how to take advantage of that pace.

5 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

My favorite play Teddy Allen made tonight.  South Dakota has just cut it to 10.

I'm glad Allen is a scorer but I hope this team can really develop its passing mentality and find the extra pass more often than not.  We also need to work on find trailers in rhythm.  We are good at pressing the ball we just need to figure out how to take advantage of that pace.

Teddy drew that double team because he was dominating in iso.  Dominating in iso is also part of Fred’s offense because it is a pro 5-out look.  If you can take your man off the dribble, you’ll probably have room. If they double, you pass until the defense can’t rotate.  

I think Teddy finding his rhythm in the half court was the difference in the game.  

8 hours ago, LK1 said:

Teddy drew that double team because he was dominating in iso.  Dominating in iso is also part of Fred’s offense because it is a pro 5-out look.  If you can take your man off the dribble, you’ll probably have room. If they double, you pass until the defense can’t rotate.  

I think Teddy finding his rhythm in the half court was the difference in the game.  

Good points. 

He was effective but I have to say it's not my favorite type of basketball.   I hate all the dribbling as it's leads to the other guys just standing around.  I like the crisp passing better or if they make their move right away.  In the grand scheme of things though if they don't turn the ball over and they score and if it's within the offense I can live with it.  It's like vegetables. 

Edited by REDitus

11 hours ago, LK1 said:

That's a good point.  And hopefully Hoiberg is able to convince Teddy of that.  We have had hero ball players before who wouldn't pass it when doubled.  I think we have enough good players that when someone gets doubled we should be able to find someone to do something with the ball this year.

I just like seeing sparks of hope that we've not had in what... 25 years?

This team won't win every game but we definitely do not suck.  Given our schedule, I'd be damn happy at .500 this year and looking forward to next.

Ball movement comes with trust.  If one or two guys hit the open 3, teddy will look when he's doubled and tripled.  Which will happen at some point.  They're going to make him make that pass in B1G play.

If thor or someone makes a couple in a row against a good team he's going to keep looking and this team could explode for a half or two.

5 hours ago, kleitus said:

I just like seeing sparks of hope that we've not had in what... 25 years?

This team won't win every game but we definitely do not suck.  Given our schedule, I'd be damn happy at .500 this year and looking forward to next.

Ball movement comes with trust.  If one or two guys hit the open 3, teddy will look when he's doubled and tripled.  Which will happen at some point.  They're going to make him make that pass in B1G play.

If thor or someone makes a couple in a row against a good team he's going to keep looking and this team could explode for a half or two.

I mean, there was an awful lot of hope around here in late 2018 into 2019. They drubbed Creighton and ran circles around Okie St and we thought we were on our way to repeating that 13-5 B1G run.

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

I mean, there was an awful lot of hope around here in late 2018 into 2019. They drubbed Creighton and ran circles around Okie St and we thought we were on our way to repeating that 13-5 B1G run.

5 star recruits definitely change the sustainability outlook.  We haven't been grabbing NBA talent consistently since nee. 

10 hours ago, kleitus said:

5 star recruits definitely change the sustainability outlook.  We haven't been grabbing NBA talent consistently since nee. 

I hear you, I'm just saying, there was an awful lot of optimism around here before things fell apart that year. That was about as much fun as I've ever had watching this program.

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

God-- That fricking loss at Illinois still haunts me.  Would we have danced if we had won that game in Feb of 2018?  Would we still need to have beaten Michigan?  

The way the committee was treating us, probably. Still unfathomable we didn't even get a home game in the NIT haha. 

10 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

God-- That fricking loss at Illinois still haunts me.  Would we have danced if we had won that game in Feb of 2018?  Would we still need to have beaten Michigan?  

If we could have had one of the final two possessions go our way against KU, we're in. Either KU misses that 3 or Palmer makes his 2 — not both, just one — and the whole picture changes. Alas, #nebrasketball.

3 hours ago, jayschool said:

If we could have had one of the final two possessions go our way against KU, we're in. Either KU misses that 3 or Palmer makes his 2 — not both, just one — and the whole picture changes. Alas, #nebrasketball.

4 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Geesh guys, I come here for sunshine pumping and kool aid drinking.  These last several posts have taken me back to dark times and sadness.  Let's get back on topic...Hoiberg ball will take us to multiple final fours and national championships.  Just wait until we have sharp shooters next year.  I will predict us to go undefeated!  Banners will hang from the rafters and parade routes will be drawn!  A separate trophy building will have to be built.  Let's not dwell on mostly 100 years of sadness. There, that was therapeutic and I feel better. Back to drinking.  😃

After the KU game, my young 12 year old had tears in his eyes. I said “welcome to Nebraska season ticket life. It’s fun, but every now and again you get a groin kick.” We tried to stay and watch the gals win the volleyball national championship but the wind left the sails and we headed back to Omaha. But at least Coach Frost was introduced 

41 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

After the KU game, my young 12 year old had tears in his eyes. I said “welcome to Nebraska season ticket life. It’s fun, but every now and again you get a groin kick.” We tried to stay and watch the gals win the volleyball national championship but the wind left the sails and we headed back to Omaha. But at least Coach Frost was introduced 

Steel Groin Armor (Male) - Mandalore the Uniter

The first gift you should be someone when you find out they are a Nebraska basketball fan.

17 hours ago, hskr4life said:

That's the same season the Palmer hits that buzzer beater at home to save the day vs Illinois. They were a bad matchup for us that year.

The game at Penn St where we benched Palmer and then clawed back to put it into OT and ended up losing by 2.

On 12/6/2020 at 3:27 AM, huskerbill85 said:

I think we are some consistent interior defense away from being a tournament team TBH

I think we need a touch better outside shooting. Like we're currently near historically bad even for us.

So, if you had a guy like Eduardo Andre put on a few pounds so that he can body up against Big Ten bigs and still be able to swat the occasional slasher who gets by our first line of defense, and then just get to mediocre shooting levels from outside, say 35% or so, then we may be in business.

But a team that averages under 29% from 3-point range while relying heavily on 3-pt shooting isn't going to be a tourney team by just playing better defense. We have to get better on the offensive end. Full stop.