uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 4 - South Dakota

Bugeaters1

Teddy is going to be this year's lightning rod because when we do lose games the first thing that gets looked at is who is taking shots and Teddy is taking shots. We'll see how he holds up in the conference but he's Terran Petteway reborn and I mean that in a good way.

Lat brings the shooting and tonight the rebounding we absolutely need from the 4.  Ball handling isn't part of the package just yet.

We shot 70% from the FT line last night. After last year didn't feel like 50%?  The weird thing is that Teddy Allen and Lat Mayen, two guys who shot over 80% from the line last year, are the guys bringing down the team average.

Yvan was playing very under-control.  His one shot was a 'this shot is going to go in two armed bank against the backboard' and at one point when he got the ball in a crowd he didn't force it up.

3 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Yvan was playing very under-control.  His one shot was a 'this shot is going to go in two armed bank against the backboard' and at one point when he got the ball in a crowd he didn't force it up.

I noticed last night that Yvan was playing like he had gotten some very good advice and was paying attention.  It was encouraging.

The entire lineup and makeup of the team changes when Walker is available. Probable starter, been hearing from someone who is close to the team that he is by far the most vocal and their leader. Also said he’s going to bring some “enforcer” type mentality down low.  It’s been a while since we’ve had a true enforcer from a big man....

16 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Umude would look better in scarlet than vermillion.

Umude is in a weird spot this year. He's historically about a 34% 3-point shooter who is struggling mightily from beyond the arc this year. That could be a team-wide funk problem. They're all struggling. Looks like last 10 minutes last night they began to snap out of it, but we have absolutely no place on our roster for a shooting guard who's hitting less than 12% of this three-point attempts. And that's where Umude is right now.

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Umude is in a weird spot this year. He's historically about a 34% 3-point shooter who is struggling mightily from beyond the arc this year. That could be a team-wide funk problem. They're all struggling. Looks like last 10 minutes last night they began to snap out of it, but we have absolutely no place on our roster for a shooting guard who's hitting less than 12% of this three-point attempts. And that's where Umude is right now.

If he was on our roster he'd be in our starting lineup playing 20-30 minutes. that dude brings a lot more to the table than 3 games worth of 3pt shooting statistics

15 hours ago, Crush78 said:

Seemed like it took Banton quite a while to get back in the flow after the early foul trouble. Hopefully he can play better in those situations in the future.

Thor seems to be struggling right now, but hes still probably the 2nd best deep threat on this team, will need him to get straightened out. Didnt play the last 16 minutes, hopefully no injury issue.

Mayen and Allen are both better for sure and I would argue Webster and McGowens are both better too.  He also brings less to the table than Delano and Shamiel

Edited by big red22

I think people in this thread are underestimating how desperate SDSU was last night and how well coached they are. That was a team throwing everything they had trying to get a win. 

We basically played like an older brother who doesn’t want to hurt his little brother too much, but the little brother won’t stop getting up.

15 hours ago, LK1 said:

Thor’s passing against a zone is a sight to behold.  Against a packed m2m, those opportunities just don’t come as often unless you can be a threat off the dribble or are absolutely deadly from deep.  If he’s shooting 40% from 3, play him all night. But he’s not, and when he’s not, we have better options.  

It’s difficult to pass when you rarely touch the ball.

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

It’s difficult to pass when you rarely touch the ball.

I do remember one play when Thor was up the floor wide open and had his hands out in the “throw me the ball” position” and Trey dibbles the ball all the way up ignoring him on the kick ahead and took the ball all the way to the basket and made that hard right hand on the left side layup. When he shot the ball Thor’s hands were still up telling me he was not thrilled with being ignored 

7 hours ago, big red22 said:

Mayen and Allen are both better for sure and I would argue Webster and McGowens are both better too.  He also brings less to the table than Delano and Shamiel

Allen? His scissor kicking ugly jumper? He shot 32% from 3 against juco competition. Thor shot 38% in the big 10.