Game Day Essentials: Game #4 vs South Dakota

hhcmatt

Nebraska Cornhuskers (2-1) vs South Dakota Coyotes (0-2)

Date: Tuesday Dec 1, 2020
Time: 8:00 pm
Arena: PBA

Broadcast:  BTN

South Dakota Info

503737322011.gif

Head Coach: Todd Lee 
Conference: Summit
Nickname: Coyotes

Mascots: Charlie
Rotation Depth: 10 

KenPom: 230 

Last season: 20-12
Line: Nebraska by 12

image.png

Player to watch: G/F Stanley Umude

The offense starts and stops with 1000 point scorer and 6'6" Senior Stanley Umude.  The offense thus far has been so Umude centric that his 36 shot attempts are more than the next two players combined (20+14=34).  Without anyone else on the roster to pick up the load, Umude has struggled with his shot to the tune of an awful 29.2 eFG%. He's a threat to score from anywhere while getting to the line and with his height you wonder if it will be someone besides McGowens guarding him.

image.png

The Rest of the Roster

Welcome back Brady Heiman as for the second year in a row a former Husker comes back to Lincoln as a member of the opposing team. Heiman is starting and protecting the rim but most like isn't playing more than 20 minutes a game because he's not bringing enough offense to a team in desperate need. D-II Augustine transfer AJ Plitzuweit has secured the starting PG job and is second on the team in scoring at 11.5 per game. Undersized G/F Ty Chisom has been the other main scoring threat, mainly inside the arc, and has a nose for rebounds. Not to be mean but 5th starter Kruz Perrott-Hunt has been such a no-show offensively you could send his guy to cover Umude. Freshman center Nikola Zizic is in a platoon with Heiman. It's probably a matter of time before someone from the JUCO guards imports of Xavier Fuller, Mason Archambault, and Boogie Anderson makes their way into the starting lineup.  A lack of size and familiarity with the offense currently holding them back.  Kearney native Kanon Koster has been playing 13 minutes per game but has only taken 3 shots. 6'8 240# Greek forward Tasos Kamateros is a body.

Hoiberg Presser

Nothing real earth shattering here: Working with Yvan, rebounds are a problem, taking it one day at a time

Banton Presser

Banton was 5'11" in the 10th grade.  By 11th grade he was 6'5". That's how you get a 6'9" PG. A lot of times players will have things they repeat like 'you know' and it will be sort of annoying.  I dig Banton's, man. Everyone is right, this guy is just naturally likable.

The Skinny:

Last season Todd Lee's motion offense combined Stanley Umude's scoring punch with a Daum-esque Tyler Hagedorn at center and 3pt shooting guard Cody Kelley into one of the best in Div 1.  They couldn't guard anyone, but those guys could score.  The loss of all that experience and talent has the Coyotes struggling on offense and it's questionable how much they've improved on defense.  This team by default wants to push the ball a bit and take away the 3.  Putting Nebraska into a scenario where they can push pace and have to drive to the rim seems like a recipe for a blowout.  South Dakota has put emphasis on taking away fast break points and might even break into a sprint down the court before the ball reaches the hoop on some possessions. The Coyotes have been unsustainably bad from 3 after two games as they will ultimately shoot better than 14.7% this year.  How much are they due this game?  That's the 12 point question.

Nebraska has seemingly worked their way into enough length and firepower this season to win against this type of team even if they're struggling. Hey man, maybe they don't play well after 3pm, man.

Prediction: Nebraska 89 - South Dakota 68

View full article

Also, when looking at the South Dakota game info card I came to realize that Nebraska and South Dakota don't agree on the record in this series.  Nebraska has us up 33-5 whereas South Dakota has us up 31-6.

It turns out that when I dug into the UNL yearbooks that neither school is right and the record should be 32-5 for Nebraska.  Nebraska has a game in 1928 where they list Nebraska over South Dakota when it was South Dakota St.  South Dakota has our 1945 matchup as a win for them 32-29 when it would appear they lost that game 52-29.

EoKSdkeVcAQ9Tw0?format=jpg&name=large

EoKSIEXVQAU1h5S?format=jpg&name=large

I was blown away by the fact that no one on South Dakota's team has made more than a single three this season (OK, only 2 games.) Five guys on their squad have hit a single 3-pointer each. They've missed 29. And one guy is 1 for 11 from three, which is like Glynn Watson freshman year territory. And that just means it could turn around in a hurry if they got hot at the right moment, which often seems to happen to us. 

So, don't expect their dry spell from distance to continue much longer. Hopefully, just one more game.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Also, when looking at the South Dakota game info card I came to realize that Nebraska and South Dakota don't agree on the record in this series.  Nebraska has us up 33-5 whereas South Dakota has us up 31-6.

It turns out that when I dug into the UNL yearbooks that neither school is right and the record should be 32-5 for Nebraska.  Nebraska has a game in 1928 where they list Nebraska over South Dakota when it was South Dakota St.  South Dakota has our 1945 matchup as a win for them 32-29 when it would appear they lost that game 52-29.

EoKSdkeVcAQ9Tw0?format=jpg&name=large

EoKSIEXVQAU1h5S?format=jpg&name=large

Your dedication to uncovering the truth is commendable.  I do hope you were drinking during this tedious exercise.  If it were me, every error I found would have been worth a celebratory shot or two.  

I hope someone on the team uses the 1945 game that South Dakota is trying to steal from us as bulletin board material and we make them pay for their mistake tonight!!!