uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 3 - North Dakota State

thrasher31

Regarding Yvan, as many have mentioned, he doesn't have great hands and doesn't seem to have a natural 'feel' for the ball when in his hands.  He seems to be incapable of going to the rim with the ball in one hand.  I wonder if he has small hands for a big guy.  Almost every attempt for him involves dribbling in traffic and gathering himself to jump or, in lieu of dribbling, bringing the ball nearly to the floor and gathering himself before jumping for the shot.  Any advantage he may have had with an open hoop is lost in all that effort.  He also seems to always have his dominant, right hand on top of the ball with his left hand supporting the ball when trying to shoot near the hoop.  It's near impossible to shoot that way because if it doesn't get blocked that hold on the ball forces you to push the ball at the basket like a pass rather than a shot.  One needs to be playing 2 feet above the rim and dunking on a regular basis with that approach.  Also, with as much 'down-before-up' effort as he generates pre-shot, there is literally no way to have any control of the release and the chance of the ball going in really boils down to dumb luck.  I hope since he's still fairly young and hasn't played a ton of ball before he can improve in this area, but at this point and against the competition he will face, it seems unlikely.  I do credit him for hustling, grabbing some rebounds and banging with the big boys.  Probably need to accept that that is what his positive contributions are going to be.

Regarding the game:

Good:  Attacking the paint; ball movement; good defensive effort most of the game; McGowens being aggressive and scoring; Banton - he's fun to watch play; Allen playing much, much better within the framework of the offense (still took several questionable 3's early in shot clock).

Not so good:  3-point shooting again (at least they didn't launch 40+); free throws.

Bad:  Defensive rebounding (they're going to get murdered in conference play).

Keep on improving.

9 minutes ago, HB said:

Well, cause typically no one is guarding them in those videos 

Of course. But that doesn't mean they hold no value. Also, how else would you form an opinion? Maybe you have access to more info. I don't. I read the paper, message boards, basically any info I can get my hands on including social media posts and go from there.

4 hours ago, REDitus said:

The Good:   We won.  Banton approached triple double territory.  When we are crisp in passing we look good.  We had only 10 turnovers and we got a bunch of steals. 

The Bad: Disappointed that we shot poorly from 3pt range again.   They can be 3's but they need to be in flow with the offense.   I think they are taking some shots too early in the offense.   We look good when we make that extra pass. 

The Ugly:   Outrebounded by NDSU.  

That is the offense, though. Hoiberg has a ton of quick-hitting actions to generate 3-point looks baked into his offense, and I'd be willing to bet he's telling them that if the defense goes under screens or fails to step out, they have the green light. He doesn't want them using up the whole shot clock. I put together a thread on the shooting in that Nevada game.

The problem is they need to start making them at a higher rate or it's going to cost them games. The Nevada game was something of an outlier...

But shooting like they did against North Dakota State won't be good enough to beat Big Ten teams. We'll have to figure out what kind of shooting team they really are as the season goes on. Right now, I'd say everybody on the team other than McGowens is shooting below their ability based on what they've shown at different stages of their careers.

9 hours ago, jayschool said:

Hoping that Andre is well, and that he can soon rejoin the team and contribute some minutes and rebounds on the defensive end.

Need him and curious what he can bring.  Yvan just is a liability right now and not sure what you are getting from him.  This team is a serviceable big man from being pretty decent.  Yvan struggles inside shooting and at the ft line concerns me as teams get tougher

7 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

That is the offense, though. Hoiberg has a ton of quick-hitting actions to generate 3-point looks baked into his offense, and I'd be willing to bet he's telling them that if the defense goes under screens or fails to step out, they have the green light. He doesn't want them using up the whole shot clock. I put together a thread on the shooting in that Nevada game.

Interesting.   Have to say,  I am not a fan of that philosophy.   Being lazy (rec ball)  I hated running down the court only to have a teammate jack up a 3 with no rebounders/opportunities for 2nd chance points.   That was my official gripe.  My unofficial off the record true gripe was..I just ran all that way down the d*mn court for no reason.   I hated that. 

Edited by REDitus

18 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Surprised people aren’t discussing Banton more. We have one of the most unique players in the country. He’s special. Truly ambidextrous on the court. Point guards feel for the game at 6’9”. He’ll likely lead our team in assists and rebounds. He also seems like a great leader. Always talking on the court and encouraging teammates. 

He certainly has some national attention

16 hours ago, jimmykc said:

I have been surprised by the willingness of most observers to cut Yvan so much slack when he was 17 and then expect so much improvement at 18. As I recall, I didn't note a whole lot of physical or psychological difference in myself between age 17 and 18 (although I did manage to graduate from high school).

For many players generally speaking there is an improvement from freshman to sophomore year

He did show improvement throughout last year so I think that could be expected this year.

Notes from Huskers athletic dept

Nebraska Postgame Notes
*-Nebraska improves to 2-0 all-time against North Dakota State, as the other meeting came in 1933.
*-Nebraska held North Dakota State to 29 percent shooting, the best defensive performance by the Huskers under Fred Hoiberg. It was the best defensive performance in 70 games dating back to the 2018-19 season opener against Southeastern Louisiana (26.8 percent).
*-Teddy Allen’s 22 points marked his fourth career 20-point game and first at Nebraska. He had three at West Virginia during the 2017-18 season.
*-Allen had five steals against North Dakota State, matching his season and career high. Allen, who came into the game 10th nationally in steals at 4.0 per game, has 13 in three games at Nebraska. He had 13 in 35 games at West Virginia during his freshman year.
*-Trey McGowens’ 19-point effort was a season high.
*-Dalano Banton threated with a triple double, finishing with 13 points and season bests in both assists (eight) and rebounds (nine). He has dished out at least five assists in each of NU’s three games and nearly a 4-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio.
*-Nebraska has committed 10 or fewer turnovers in each of the first three games this season.
*-Nebraska had 11 steals, the third straight game the Huskers had at least 10 steals. In addition to Allen, Thorir Thorbjarnarson had three steals in the win.

7 hours ago, REDitus said:

Interesting.   Have to say,  I am not a fan of that philosophy.   Being lazy (rec ball)  I hated running down the court only to have a teammate jack up a 3 with no rebounders/opportunities for 2nd chance points.   That was my official gripe.  My unofficial off the record true gripe was..I just ran all that way down the d*mn court for no reason.   I hated that. 

Hoiberg definitely wants ball movement, but if teams are giving them looks early I'm guessing he's encouraging them to take them. If they continue to shoot under 30% the emphasis will probably change as the season goes on.

3 hours ago, 49r said:

Dalano seems like the kind of dude I'd want to have on my team.

He also seems like the kind of dude that's going to end up coaching when his playing days are done.

I've watched three of his press conferences now. He's got to be one of the most likeable Husker players in recent memory. Very positive, humble and well-spoken. 

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

I've watched three of his press conferences now. He's got to be one of the most likeable Husker players in recent memory. Very positive, humble and well-spoken. 

He already has one of the all time great basketball quotes. “When the ball movement is lovely everybody is happy.” That sounds like something that should end up on a Triple B t-shirt. 

Edited by Dean Smith